Phantis Forums

A'Division: 16 to 18

Ziaka

EPAE has decided to increse the number of teams in the A' Division from 16 to 18 starting with the season 2006-2007. It was also decided that next season 2 team will be relegated to B' Division. Four teams from B' Division will be promoted to make the A' Division an 18-team league.

Here is the announcement by EPAE:

this is a very bad move. most probably it will last at most two years. it would have been better if a' ethniki would have taken a shape similar to the one the swiss league has. with only ten teams in the top category. and all the teams play twice at home and away against each other.

there are a few teams that fight for the title (aek, pao, osfp, sometimes paok), some teams that held themselves in the league for years (skoda, iraklis, ofi, panionios) and some teams that make one or two good seasons and are then sold out to the "big teams", so that they fall down in the table again. the rest of the teams dont really have a chance of achieving something.

this decision was a mistake and the teams who voted for it will realise it soon.

this is a very bad move. most probably it will last at most two years. it would have been better if a' ethniki would have taken a shape similar to the one the swiss league has. with only ten teams in the top category. and all the teams play twice at home and away against each other.

there are a few teams that fight for the title (aek, pao, osfp, sometimes paok), some teams that held themselves in the league for years (skoda, iraklis, ofi, panionios) and some teams that make one or two good seasons and are then sold out to the "big teams", so that they fall down in the table again. the rest of the teams dont really have a chance of achieving something.

this decision was a mistake and the teams who voted for it will realise it soon.

10 teams is way to small in my view

i like to try out this 18 team system

i think it will create more fights for the relegation zone teams

my only fear is the possibility of way too many Athenian teams

i would like a team or 2 from Patra to come up

3rd biggest city in Greece with no team in the top flight

10 teams is way to small in my view. i like to try out this 18 team system. i think it will create more fights for the relegation zone teams. my only fear is the possibility of way too many Athenian teams. i would like a team or 2 from Patra to come up, 3rd biggest city in Greece with no team in the top flight.

maybe ten teams is too small but 16 or even 18 is too many. there wont change that much on top of the table with the same teams competing for the championship and european spots. but the rest of the team will, like you said, just fight to survive in a' ethniki. and seeing 6,7 or even 8 teams playing to not get relegated wont lift the league on a better level. and let it aside that the attendances in the stadiums will be around 1000-2000 people at these matches if the small teams are lucky.

it would be nice though to have some more teams from other regions of greece, but most of the teams that will be able to get up to a' ethniki are placed around athens. all in all i dont see any advanteges for the league in rising the number of teams.

• 4 weeks later...

It was made official today at the EPAE meeting. Starting with the 2006-2007 season, A' Division will consist of 18 teams.

Because of this, only 2 teams will be relegated from the next seaon, whcih starts in two weeks. To bring the A' Division to 18 teams, 4 teams from B' Division will be promoted.

Archived