Phantis Forums

New Greek Television

Hi,

Just curious, does anyone know what this channel is about? It seems to be like Odyssey TV here in Canada, a domestic ethnic channel. Where does it get its programming from? I heard somewhere that it has programming from Antenna but isn't Antenna Sat (direct from Greece) available across the U.S. via Dishet. Why then would you subscribe to this channel? I see its only available in NYC and NJ so it probably has some local content on it.

I found this website: www.ngtvonline.com but I can't ses to find a schedule on there if there is one? The site doesn't seem to be very current. Anyone here subscribe to it, what's it like? Is the quality very good, prgram wise?

Thanks.

That would be National Greek TV, a television station that is run by Kastanas in New York. It is available on selected cable systems in New York.

This Kastanas guy used to run a 2 hour show each week here in Chicago on a local station, but he dropped it several years ago. He also had some bad reputation among the Greek community here.

Anyway here is info about the station from their web site:

National Greek Television first aired on Sept 15, 1975 on channel 47 WNJU when the inspired Demetris Kastanas saw the need in the Greek "Omogenia" for a medium to bring them together, inform, entertain and to keep the cultural and ethnic gifts alive for generations to come. So with this in mind he started a weekly one hour program providing laughter, entertainment and News updates from the homeland.

With the bridge now set in place he sought to expand by adding hours and channels, both here in NY and in various other states, such as Chicago, New Jersey, Boston and Atlanta. In 1986 Demetris Kastanas was given the opportunity to bring the Greek Community its own channel. This meant that for the first time NGTV would be providing its viewers Greek Programming 24 hours 7 days a week, 365 days a year. No small task, for a community channel outside of Greece. Demetris Kastanas having a dream of a more united, more enlightened and informed "Omogenia" took on the challenge. Today almost 3 decades later NGTV is providing its content on the Time Warner Cable in Brooklyn, Queens and in Manhattan and to Staten Island and Bergen County NJ. NGTV together with sister Magazine "Eseis" employs 40 people and has 2 stages and 2 independed edit suites. It produces its own programming as well as providing program content from ALPHA in Greece to its viewers. In late 1999 NGTV bought it's own ENG (Electronic News Gathering) Van allowing it the opportunity to offer the community live coverage of various events. You can watch National Greek Television in your area on the following Systems:

American Cable Vision of Queens on Channel 95

Brooklyn Queens Cable on channel 80

Time Warner's channel 509 digital service in Manhattan

this channel is pretty bad. it shows various programming from alpha, alter & ert-sat w/o any set schedule.. mostly news (and news talk shows), morning shows, and various greek soapoperas and old movies . it also has some local ny based programming (news, talk shows, ekklissia, etc)

As far as soccer goes:

This past year they showed all the kypello games live (whatever ert-sat was showing). For protathlima they would randomly show some games lives, some on tape delay, or no games at all...you never really knew what the deal was .. you just had to wait and see if they would show something. If they did show a game it would be the game that ert-sat broadcast. just in case someone is wondering they did NOT show any ethniki or champions league games. Athlitiki kyriaki was aslo on either live or on tape delay (again from ert-sat, and again you had to wait and see when they decided to put it on).

If you already have ert-sat there really is no need for this channel as far as soccer goes. now if you want to watch zougla or other alter and alpha prgramming go for it, although the programming is so random that next year they may not show this stuff, or they may show even more .. who knows.

Thanks for the reply len,

This channel sounds like Odyssey TV where they show whatever they want too (At least on OTN-1, on OTN-2 they have to show stuff from Mega only according to their license).

I am curious that you say he has programming from Alpha, how does he get it. According to Lyngsat, Alpha International is not uplinked to any satellite so how are they getting their signal to N.America?

Anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Fainetai oti to odyssey tv2 allakse kai egine ert-sat,

xwris alles paremboles sto programma.

Isws h ert-sat na phre adeia apo to radiothleoptiko sumboulio

Kanada epitelous. Mporei auto na einai meros twn allagwn

pou anaferthke oti tha ginoun sthn ert-sat.

Pantws h ert-sat einai to mono kanali apo ta ellhnika

doruforika pou exei merikes ekpompes pou aksizoun.

i think its fair to say we should give up completly on trying to see CL games in the US, they will never show because ESPN has the exclusive rights to north america so unless espn open up channels/maybe even a Pay Per View Champions League service you wont be able to see PAO kick ass/OSFP get raped in the CL next year from the USA, uefa cl service is good you can watch the whole game but on tape delay/you know what the score is......

I wouldn't bet on it drakos. Some wonderful thinghs are happening lately. We are trying to stream games (NT, CL and others) that are not available in US (and other parts of the world).

I agree with you that as long as ESPN remains on the dance floor our chances of watching such games are limited. That's why we are trying to find alternate solutions. This streaming experience won't be available to everyone in here (unless we manage to do it through peercast or something similar) but it will be strong enough to support a few connections. Lets wait and see...

• 2 weeks later...

Fainetai oti to odyssey tv2 allakse kai egine ert-sat,

xwris alles paremboles sto programma.

Isws h ert-sat na phre adeia apo to radiothleoptiko sumboulio

Kanada epitelous. Mporei auto na einai meros twn allagwn

pou anaferthke oti tha ginoun sthn ert-sat.

Pantws h ert-sat einai to mono kanali apo ta ellhnika

doruforika pou exei merikes ekpompes pou aksizoun.

den pire adia h ert file mou...to mega den ithele na kanei bussines me to oddesey channel......den thelane na ananeosoun to simvolaio mazi tous....alla mas vgike kalitera giati tha doume kai kano podosfero

I wouldn't bet on it drakos. Some wonderful thinghs are happening lately. We are trying to stream games (NT, CL and others) that are not available in US (and other parts of the world).

I agree with you that as long as ESPN remains on the dance floor our chances of watching such games are limited. That's why we are trying to find alternate solutions. This streaming experience won't be available to everyone in here (unless we manage to do it through peercast or something similar) but it will be strong enough to support a few connections. Lets wait and see...

spiro can you give me more details on that? i have someone in greece that might help on this.........what equipment that person will need(in greece)?how will it work?

Archived