Phantis Forums

Anorthosis - Trabzonspor?

Irlandos

Should Anorthosis Famagusta eliminate CL qualifying round 1 opponents Dinamo Minsk, they will come face-to-face with Turkish club Trabzonspor.

This will create an awkward situation for both sides as:

Turkey will have to accept a flight originating from Cyprus into their airspace.

Turkish officials will then have to accept and validate Cypriot passports.

Anorthosis, on the other hand, will have to travel to the land whose troops hold their home town under occupation. They will have to host a match with refugee supporters who may vent their frustration and anger at the visiting players and have to deal with UEFA sanctions.

They may even face calls to withdraw from the tie as APOEL did.

How should this situation be handled, should it arise?

Civilised conversation only, please!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One suggestion I would propose would be to hold both games in Lefkosia, one on each side of the green line, increasing the allotment for the away crowd to say 20%.

This would save govenments official embarassments, help Anorthosis by having more supporters in their home game, build Trabzonspor's support among T/C's and more importantly ease tensions among the two communities on the island.

Sound good? :huh:

1st of all..... to be honest and to look at this from another perspective.... Anorthosis needs to qualify from this 1st rd.

Then really what needs to happen is the game(s) need to be played at the teams home stadiums. Plain and simple.

Now will there be contreversy?? Of-course! Anytime there's a Cypriot/Turkish game of any sort it's going to cause controversy.

Ultimately either FIFA or UEFA needs to step in and look at the situation and see how everyone will react.

You never know...... It could all be a great :blink:

Anorthosis should they advance which they will have to come face to face with Trabzonspor... A mouth watering tie the first leg will be held at the GSP...The refugee team will not use there staduim but play at the GSP in front of 25000 fans..I guarantee this game will be sold out..It wont be just Anorthosis fans it will be all Greek Cypriot fans around the island...The Chairman of Anorthosis Andreas Pantelis says this game is a mouth watering tie for his club....As his team is a refugee club they are being occupied by Turkish Troops and Settlers....

Anorthosis also have 5 Greek Nationals on there squad...Leonidas kapitais. Froosos, Poursaitides, Katsavakis, and Xenides.... The just signed the albanian International Hadgi from Kalamaria... Ketsabaii and Kinkladzde and a few others will give it there all..This match will be definetly be about pride and i guarantee you the players will die on the pitch in this serious till the bitter end....If they get a good result at home it can be anyones match.....

Anorthosis play Minsk in the first leg they are in 11th out of 13th in there domestic league..If they play up to there capabilites it should not be a concern...The ball is round anyhting can happen I guess...

jesus what a derby that will be...hell on earth will be waiting for trapezi-spor

I hope Anorthosis could reach there and beat them in front of all of Cyprus......

KYPROS!!! :gr:

although Trabzon has a good side last year......players like Fatih Tekke Could be Dangerous........Anorthosis need to make another big signing....but however if they do manage to beat Trabzon then they should go for CL! Unless of course they draw PAO which would suck and be unfair.

Not to brag, but I'm an expert on these issues, as a Cypriot , and a son of an immigration lawyer. Now,any flights between the games would need to connect in another country. Say the first leg is at home. The flights back would need to connect in another country first, Israel, Greece, wherever. It IS True Turkish officials would need to accept TRUE Cyprus passports. now as for opinions, I believe it's about time something like this happened. Btw drakos, are you any bit Cypriot, I personally am half Greek, half cypriot.

Not to brag, but I'm an expert on these issues, as a Cypriot , and a son of an immigration lawyer. Now,any flights between the games would need to connect in another country. Say the first leg is at home. The flights back would need to connect in another country first, Israel, Greece, wherever. It IS True Turkish officials would need to accept TRUE Cyprus passports. now as for opinions, I believe it's about time something like this happened. Btw drakos, are you any bit Cypriot, I personally am half Greek, half cypriot.

You are half

Just wondering if the teams played, who'd win?I actually think Anorthosis just may have it in them to beat just about anyone before the group stage.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all Hello everyone!

Pontios is back and kicking!

Irlandos:

Turkey does not accept flight originating from Cyprus into their airspace, so they wont do it now, Anorthosis will just travel through Athens, like most og Greekcyprots do when go to Turkey.

Turkish officials started accepting and validating Cypriot passports for 4-5 years now, as a matter of fact if a Greekcypriot travels with a Greekcypriot passport to Turkey he has absolutely no problem while Turkishcypriots must use their Turkishcypriot passport to do the same or else they face troubles.

turkish officials even avoid validating Greekcypriot passports if the flight are originated from TRNC so Greekcypriots wont face problems with Greekcypriot officials when they return.

Anorthosis will not have to travel to the land of whose troops hold their home town under occupation. As we all know (or most of us anyway...) Trapezounta is the capital city of Pontos and as far as i know Pontos never occupied Cyprus. On yhr other had Pontos had welcomed and supported tens of thousands of Cypriots some centuries back when there was a huge dryness in Cyprus. Even to these days Cypriot Archbishop is called 'Archbishop or Cyprus and Nikaia' due to the fact that those Cypriots were settled in Nikaia.

Now about the game, iam 1000% sure that our pontian 'palikaria' will trash and smash Anorthosis, both away and home.

Finished players like Froussos and Xenidis and shadowy 'coaches' like ketsbaia do not stand a single chance against our lions like Tekke, Yilmaz, Yong, Karadeniz and more.

And i can assure you that Pontians from all over the world and in Cyprus will be on the side of Trabzonspor!

Irlandos:

Turkey does not accept flight originating from Cyprus into their airspace, so they wont do it now, Anorthosis will just travel through Athens, like most og Greekcyprots do when go to Turkey.

Turkish officials started accepting and validating Cypriot passports for 4-5 years now, as a matter of fact if a Greekcypriot travels with a Greekcypriot passport to Turkey he has absolutely no problem while Turkishcypriots must use their Turkishcypriot passport to do the same or else they face troubles.

turkish officials even avoid validating Greekcypriot passports if the flight are originated from TRNC so Greekcypriots wont face problems with Greekcypriot officials when they return.

Anorthosis will not have to travel to the land of whose troops hold their home town under occupation. As we all know (or most of us anyway...) Trapezounta is the capital city of Pontos and as far as i know Pontos never occupied Cyprus. On yhr other had Pontos had welcomed and supported tens of thousands of Cypriots some centuries back when there was a huge dryness in Cyprus. Even to these days Cypriot Archbishop is called 'Archbishop or Cyprus and Nikaia' due to the fact that those Cypriots were settled in Nikaia.

Now about the game, iam 1000% sure that our pontian 'palikaria' will trash and smash Anorthosis, both away and home.

Finished players like Froussos and Xenidis and shadowy 'coaches' like ketsbaia do not stand a single chance against our lions like Tekke, Yilmaz, Yong, Karadeniz and more.

And i can assure you that Pontians from all over the world and in Cyprus will be on the side of Trabzonspor!

Irlandos:

How can u afford LTV if u are a pontian good luck for ur team getting out alive in Cyprus next week...Froussos and Xenides never played today..Froussos will be playing next week... Have fun watching it should be fun.......

i dont know very much about Pontic history but I do remember somthing hearing/reasing something about a gennocide of Pontians...so you supporting a Turkish side over a Greek side puzzles me......and i doubt every Pontian feels that way. Pontos and the people that occupy Pontos today are the same people that invaded Cyprus in the 70's. To me a team consisting of Greeks and Georgians sounds a lot more Pontic than a team of Turks!

pontic palikaria?

like WHO?!

Tekke, Yilmaz, Yong, Karadeniz? doesnt sound pontic to me!

Cyprus and Anorthosis have a great reason to hit out at a Turkish team and Trabzonspor is much richer and bigger club but you will see something in Anorthosis you cant get with even Abranovich money next wednesday...it will be extrenely difficult but Anorthosis will have great support and will fight..if they can get through Trabzon they have a shot at the group phase.....

i want Trapezoundaspor to play CL but not at the expense of a greek team....

ANORTHOSIS FOR 3rd GREEK TEAM IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE :gr: :gr: :gr:

unless Oto Rehhagel leavs Greek post and comes to coach Anorthosi in two weeks, it's quite a mission impossible for the team from Southern Cyprus.

C'm on guys, be realistic! Trabzonspor will win it, easily!

i dont know very much about Pontic history but I do remember somthing hearing/reasing something about a gennocide of Pontians...so you supporting a Turkish side over a Greek side puzzles me......and i doubt every Pontian feels that way. Pontos and the people that occupy Pontos today are the same people that invaded Cyprus in the 70's. To me a team consisting of Greeks and Georgians sounds a lot more Pontic than a team of Turks!

pontic palikaria?

like WHO?!

Tekke, Yilmaz, Yong, Karadeniz? doesnt sound pontic to me!

Cyprus and Anorthosis have a great reason to hit out at a Turkish team and Trabzonspor is much richer and bigger club but you will see something in Anorthosis you cant get with even Abranovich money next wednesday...it will be extrenely difficult but Anorthosis will have great support and will fight..if they can get through Trabzon they have a shot at the group phase.....

i want Trapezoundaspor to play CL but not at the expense of a greek team....

ANORTHOSIS FOR 3rd GREEK TEAM IN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE :gr: :gr: :gr:

After 31 years of occupation Drakos pontios is talking about a team coming from a country that is occupying Cyprus..Officially i have never heard of a country named Pontia or Pontios so i have no clue what ur talking about..Drakos i agree totally it should be a hard match for Anorthosis and if you guys think the turks are going to win easily then u are mistaken..With Kikladzde, ketsbaiaa, haber, Froussous, katsavakis Georgiallides, marangos, hadgi this team have expierince and the first game is in Cyprus..panayia mou I wish i was there cause if you think the other team wont be intimidated my god it will be absolute hell......

And i can assure you that Pontians from all over the world and in Cyprus will be on the side of Trabzonspor

Black Sea area (Trabzon..) is the one of the most nationalist region in Turkiye..

so Avni Aker (stadium of Trabzon) will be "HeLL" for Greek team (Anartosis)..

about the game;

i cant see a problem for Trabzonspor.

Hi Folks,

Latest news is that Gunes (Trabzonspor's GM) was showing his fist to Turkish Airlines for not providing a plane to take the team to Greek Cyprus. It seems to be unlikely that Trabzonspor will find a route to enter Greek Cyprus for the game unless UEFA takes an action and facilitates the teams to play both games.

Anorthosis might be playing in Athens and Trabzonspor might, in turn, play their home game in Germany. I am just speculating but this might just be news to you tomorrow.

Trabzonspor has a pretty decent team and definately a much bigger payroll than Anorthosis, but in football anything can happen.

In any case, it is a football match, not a military/militant face-off. If the games are played, let it be and stay as professional football mathups. It would be quite a fanaticism to turn a discussion about a football game into a political fist fight.

I was born in Trabzon (reside in New York, thoguh) and would like to see Trabzonspor to play in CL, at the same time I also like to see a Greek Cypriot team to have a spot there... too bad it has to be one of the above.

Peace,

BluesX

unless Oto Rehhagel leavs Greek post and comes to coach Anorthosi in two weeks, it's quite a mission impossible for the team from Southern Cyprus.

C'm on guys, be realistic! Trabzonspor will win it, easily!

Anorthosis is not bad.....they are the Cypriot champions and they have die hard fans...they do have some really good players that could make problems....Ketsbaia, Froussos, Maragnkos....Trabzonspor had a good last season but they arent great......also lets not forget Turkish teams lately blow ass vs greek sides.....with the exception of AEK and galata friendly last year......PAO and OSFP ripped up Fener and Galata and even Aigaleo hit the young suprise package Genclerbirligi....as for Besiktas last time they played AEK a friendly in Athens they took it very hard losing 5-1 to AEK.....:tup:

so i dont rule out a top cypriot team vs an upper-middle turkish team. it will be interesting... in america there is a saying:

"its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.."

I really hope UEFA watches this game because the type of banners they had in the Greece-Turkey game were just disgusting and Turkey should have been banned but UEFA only cares and sympathizes for the blacks.

@Pontios3 :

An honest question, when you watch the game and see Trabzonspor fans burning Greek flags and having banners making jokes about the massacres in Smyrni, Cyprus and even of YOUR people are you really gonna support that team?

Just because they live in Pontos doesnt make them Pontioi. Like Skopians, just because you live a part of Macedonia doesnt make you Macedonian!

Archived