Phantis Forums

FIFA Confederations Cup

With the tournament kickoff getting closer, it's time to figure out how we'll watch the games, including the ones by our NT. Let's keep all the television coverage about the tournament in this thread.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the informatin I have so far as far as TV rights in different regions:

Greece: ERT has the rights, and will show the games on ET-1 and NET

USA: Univision Broadcasting has the rights and they will be showing the games on the following networks: Univision, Galavision, Telefuture. Commentary will be in Spanish language. The above networks are available through satellite providers (Dish, DirecTV) and cable systems. Univision and Telefutura are also available on over the air stations in major markets.

Canada: Rogers Sportsnet will show all games live.

Australia: SBS will show the games.

I have updated the TV schedules with the TV coverage of the Greek NT games in the US. Check it out here:

Greek Soccer TV Schedules

The Brazil and Japan games will be shown live on Galavision. Galavision is available on satellite (Dish, DirecTV) and cable.

The Greece - Mexico game will be live on Telefutura. Telefutura is available on satellite (Dish, DirecTV), cable, and on over the air TV stations in major markets.

The complete television schedule for the FIFA Confederations Cup in the USA is as follows:

GROUP STAGE

June 15, 2005 - 12:00 CDT - Telefutura - Group A: Argentina - Tunisia

June 15, 2005 - 14:00 CDT - Galavision - Group A: Germany - Australia

June 16, 2005 - 11:00 CDT - Telefutura - Group B: Japan - Mexico

June 16, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Galavision - Group B: Greece - Brazil

June 18, 2005 - 11:00 CDT - Galavision - Group A: Germany - Tunisia

June 18, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Telefutura - Group A: Argentina - Australia

June 19, 2005 - 11:00 CDT - Galavision - Group B: Greece - Japan

June 19, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Univision - Group B: Brazil - Mexico

June 21, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Galavision - Group A: Australia - Tunisia

June 21, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Telefutura - Group A: Argentina - Germany

June 22, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Telefutura - Group B: Greece - Mexico

June 22, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Galavision - Group B: Brazil - Japan

SEMIFINALS

June 25, 2005 - 11:00 CDT - Telefutura - Semifinal 1: Group A winner - Group B runner up

June 26, 2005 - 11:00 CDT - Univision - Semifinal 2: group B winner - group A runner up

3rd PLACE GAME

June 29, 2005 - 10:30 CDT - Telefutura

FINAL

June 29, 2005 - 13:45 CDT - Telefutura

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Times are CDT (Central Daylight Time). For EDT add one hour. For PDT subtract 2 hour.

Guest GreekSoussou

Wont the two qualifiers hurt the fitness of the Greeks during the Confederates Cup? Just a thought. I am glad I will be able to watch the games though

Thanks a ton for the USA listings Spiro :tup: :nw: ! Though I'll prbably be on vacation in Europe for most of this tournament. I'll probably end up in Italy, Switzerland, and Germany over the course of my vacation.

Though I don't need/want anyone to search out each and every European channel carrying the games, is it safe to operate under the assupmtion that in any of the above countries, the games will be avliable at bars and on basic hotel TV channels?

First time I've been to Europe during a tournament like this, just not sure of what to expect. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

FORZA ELLAS :tup: :) :nw: :gr: B) !

How to get Galavision, Telefutura and Univison:

I am sure people can get different ways to watch these channels as they are available in some areas through basic cable tv. If you have Dishnetwork though here is what you can do to watch them:

Galavision: GLVSN (Este) - Channel 833, Sat 119 - America's Top 120 package.

Telefutura: FTRAE (Este) - Channel 830, Sat 110 - America's Top 120 package

Available ONLY in Eastern and Central Time Zones

Telefutura: FTRAW (Oeste) - Channel 831, Sat 110 - America's Top 120 package

Available ONLY in Mountain and Pacific Time Zones

Univision: UNVSN (Este) - Channel 827, Sat 119 - America's Top 120 package

Univison: UNVSN (Oeste) - Channel 828 Sat 110 - America's Top 120 package

All these are available through their DISH LATINO SPANISH LANGUAGE PACKAGE.

You need an additional dish to look at 110 and 119 satellites (one is enough but it has to be the Dish 500 Pro). This is a different dish than the one you have for the Greek channels. Then you need to order the America's Top 120 package for one month. The price is $37.99/month, well worth it for all the games you will watch. You can cancel after the games. Didhnetwork will install the additional dish for you for free (equipment and installation are free) but you need to sign an one year contract for the AT 120 package. Not worth it, unless you like the additional channels they'll give you. If you can install the dish yourself then call them and ask to add AT 120, watch the games and cancel after them...

Whoever needs additional info don't hesitate to ask.

Normally when DishNetwork picks up a game there is a web feed for it too. We have to wait untill the last day for that though. And I am not sure if the web is a good idea since these games will be once in a lifetime (the name of Brazil speaks for itself!).

Good luck to our team! :gr:

Wallofsoccer88,

Before you leave on vacation and as close to the date as possible check here: http://64.77.87.5/sport/ (click on International at the top of the page). Find out who is going to carry the games in Europe (the site is for European channels only) and then you will know what channel to look for in the country you'll be in at that point.

Guest gastone_1978

Ok guys it is confirmed 100%. I found a way to watch all confederation matches and many more sport events for a small charge. and therefore our ethniki ellados. It is brilliant, almost cried when I found it out. No worries everyone I will post a detailed message in a few days.

To follow up on Spiro's post. Don't forget that Univision and Telefutura are also available on regular TV stations, which you can pick up with outdoor antenna in major US cities. This also means that those local stations are also available on cable systems, as well as the local packages on Dishnetwork and DirecTV.

For example here in Chicago area, you can watch the Telefutura channel on channel 60 (WXFT) and the Univision channel on channel 66 (WGBO). Unfortunately the Galavision network, which will show two of the Greek NT games is not available through the air, only through cable and satellite.

Guest gastone_1978

Ok guys I have found out that all the Confederations Cup Tournament is on ESPN ASIA which has loads of livestreamlinks. Here is one of them mms://vod.sxtvs.com/live2 (Windows Media Player) . It has 280Kb/s stream so you all better have a damn good connection. I am building up a website to gather all these sport links together, and will be free ofcourse. Will post a new message when the website is ready so stay tuned on Phantis forum. :gr: :gr: :gr:

Good job gastone!

Keep in mind that those links change all the time and require a lot of work on your part to keep them working.

Thanks for the ESPN link. There will be plenty of web feeds but it's better to post them here close to the kick off time since they will change again and again.

Guest gastone_1978

My Website will include many coolstreaming details as far as the program, its requirements and extra links in case the coolstreaming channels let you down due to low system qualifications or connection. Coolstreaming is based on the torrent logic and provides through this way continuous and non-corrupted visualization of the tv program that you watch.

I will also include many more links to sports channels , Music channels and Movie channels. So far I have found only 600+ channels all working links out of which 64 are sports channels with at least 2-3 different links for each of them. You will all be amazed. Just give me some time to do this and you will all be very happy with the result. Mainly spread it to greeks living outside of Greece since:

1) Most of those links require a pretty good connections 512Kb/s minimum requirement

2) Coolstreaming requires a 330Kb/s upload

3) the Server that will host my site is a free one and I am not sure wether it is going to manage a huge amount of user, since I already know there is a high demand on these kind of webtv site

The most important part is that the Website is 100% legal since it only provides links and information but does NOT stream the tv channel from the server that hosts it.

Just for your information allow me to tell you that as a 1st generation greek who has moved recently to the States I was totally freaked out with the inability to watch great football matches from top leagues. Through this webtv thing all this is solved at least for the moment since I have a choice of watching at least 20 football matches every weekend from Spain, Italy, England, Germany, Portugal, France, and bloody Turkey, not to mention NBA and Euroleague matches or cycling, Domestic basketball leagues from france, Italy and Spain, and many other weird sports.

Sorry for my long e-mail. Unforunaltely I only work this site on my own during my free time so it may take 10-15 days to be completed.

I will much appreciate any help when it is finally completed or even any comments that could improve our viewing.

Guest gastone_1978

Oh forgot to mention. Spread the word out of what I am going to tell you right now. The Coolstreaming program designer makes and open invitation to whoever can provide a good server or servers from his end in order to stream a tv channel of his preference. So if there are greeks out there who can support a greek channel like supersport through NOVA please do. From my experience a 300Kb/s is good enough to watch the football match with a descent image analysis. Such a stream would require someone who has a 2Mb/s at least.

Here is the coolstreaming requirements in order to act as a server.

This is the offcial website: http://www.coolstreaming.org/

How to install a coolstreaming server

You should have the following requirements satisfied

1. Encoded TV program, typically should be a link (mms:// or rtsp://).

You can encode it yourself from the TV signal (using windows media

encoder with TV card, for example), or find some stable links as

media source. We hope the bitrate is around 100-500 kbps.

2. The server (PIII or upper) should have good network connectivity. It

should be outside of a firewall (at least is connectable to

certain port from outside), better working non-stopped and has upload

bandwidth (around 3Mbps per a 500kbps channel).

If you have the above equipments, please contact [email protected]

and tell me the TV program you want to broadcast and the information about

the server.

Gastone_1978 welcome to the forum.

Coolstreaming has been around for a while and, true, it is quite reliable to watch a a game.

The only problem is that they stream channels like Guangdong Sports, Phoenix, Dragon, Espn Asia, Sport Italia, CCTV 1,5,6,8 and a variety of radio channels that they never show a game of a greek inerest.

We have been following Coolstreaming all Winter hoping to catch at least one Champions League game of PAO or OSFP with no luck. Needless to say there was no game of the Greek national team either.

The software works great. The problem is that the channels it offers never show greek soccer. At least not as of now.

We were able to watch a few games with decent quality using other web feeds though.

We are all waiting to hear back from you and your work about your site.

Guest gastone_1978

Well Coolstreaming like you said only provides 6-7 sports channels, where I have found over 60 sports channels in two of which I managed to watch the Euroleague Final Four. One was from Serbia RTS2 and the other one was from Turkey!! Skyturk. As far as Champions League Matches of our teams I have not been able to do any WEBTV investigation since all this time till the end of February in particular I was doing my military service for the Greek Army.

All I have to say about this webtv matter is that it's a shame that Turkey which we all want to believe that is less technologically innovative than us, if we r ever to be called by that term, has at least 5-6 channels which shows Live Turkish Football and Basketball Matches.

This can't keep going. Someone from Greece or Europe (that has NOVA) needs to stream greek channels even for a small fee in order to maintain the server. Though it seems that most of these people, who have a control over the greek media seem to either be so laid back or simply don't give a sh...t. As to a result of this 20 million greeks metanastes outside Europe's Continent are get the crappy ERTSAT, MegaCosmos (which reminds me of Greece in the 60's even if I were not born back then), and Ant1 Satellite. for $35 a month??? Total waste of money to me allow me to say, and I am really considering not getting any of them.

Like I said I have recently moved to the US from Greece with and intermediate break to England for 3 years for my MSc and work, so like most of you in here know what is the situtation with the greek Media. I just cannot get straight in my mind that 2 1/2 world countries like turkey or Serbia (who has recently faced a totaly unfair war) seem to have progressed more than us:(

Hey and do not tell me that 3 greek channels are better than nothing because this sounds to me as a pathetic way to see things like, and in no way lead to progress.

Please some Greek With ambition in Technology and progress help! :la:

P.S. Maybe some of you may disagree with all this fireballs I am throwing to the Greek media and the language I have used. I apologize in advance if I have talked inapropriately about any of the issues I mentioned above. These are personal opinions and have nothing to do with the opinion that the hosts of this website may have.

Gastone,

I am a first generation greek like you who moved to the States 10 years ago. I did my mentatory service in the Greek army and as a civil engineer I worked with a greek construction company to build the Olympic Stadium and the Olympic Velodrome in Athens back in 1996 when Atlanta got the games. A Panathinaikos fun and supporter since day 1 of my life I hardly missed a game while I was living in Greece.

Things are different here. Not very many chances to watch Greek soccer, I agree with you. I am gonna have to disagree though where you say that "Hey and do not tell me that 3 greek channels are better than nothing because this sounds to me as a pathetic way to see things like, and in no way lead to progress".

Since you just moved to this country I am not sure if you know the meaning of "xeniteia" yet. I don't either. Because I see what is happening in my country live any more and I can be informed through these crappy (as you say) channels all the time for what Greece is going through without to have to wait for 3 months to receive a letter from my family with news that would be old.

This is the meaning of "xeniteia" my friend. Leaving your own country and not knowing when and if you'll come back. Not knowing who died, who got married and who gave birth to whom, like our grandparents did, not long ago. Nowadays, thanks to all this technology (internet, satellite tv) we can keep in touch with mother greece all the time. And I will take these three crappy channels at any given moment if they halp me to do so.

Don't get me wrong though. I am not saying we are satisfied with the way they are handling their program or soccer broadcasting. That's why we are here (and have been all these years) trying to find ways to watch out favorite teams.

I myself know more than 500 web feed links which I always share with members in here when time comes. I agree with you that Greece could have done more on this soccer broadcasting deal but don't forget the legal issues that come up with all these ESPNs and SETANTAs on the sceen. I believe things will change to our favour after these contracts expire especially after this huge sucess of our national team in the Euro 2004 competition.

And as I always say, I would have been able to make loads of money if I was living in Greece through web streaming...

Paidia:

You have NO idea how great we have it now.

Only 10 years ago before high speed internet (sports fans paradise), and SAT TV,

I had to wait for Mondays Greek paper on Thursday...

Watch CL PAO tapes sent to me from Greece two weeks later, on a very expensive PAL> NTSC converter VCR...

Espn showed NO respect to the king of sports, and only started broadcasting CL games about 10 years ago. Fox sports world did NOT exist.

Setanta CCTV was only in our wildest dreams.

You have no idea, believe me.

Our teams LIVE on TV, or internet :tup: WHAT A DEAL :tup:

From someone born and raised within 2km from "Leoforos ton oneiron".

"Me ta podia phgename gypedo!"

PEACE

Monday's greek paper on Thursday? lol!!! You were lucky you could read the news so soon!

Where I live Ethnikos Kirikas used to show up at our doors two weeks after the publication day! I had to go to the local library and search for other European papers from England or Italy just to find out what Panathinaikos did in CL three days after the game looking in the last page's small writting!!!

Keep in mind that I'd never missed a game of my team while living in Athens all these years!

File Spyro eisai omoiopatheis vlepo :D

To filaraki mou ki ego perimename thn Pempth gia na erthei h efhmerida apo Nea Yorkh. Pername panta ths Deyteras pou eixe ta athlhtika apo thn Kyriakh.

Polles fores o alhthrios, erxotan noritera piso gia na prolavei na thn diavasei protos. ;)

Mhn sou po oti empene sthn toualeta me tis ores kai ekane oti exeze gia na diavasei me thn hsyxeia tou...

Eutyxos pou htan Trifillara ki autos, kai mou ekane anagnosh. :LOL:

Ti pernagame emeis oi mikroi, gia thn Panatha...kai thn Ethnikh...(EuroBasket 87)

Mono merikous mhnes sthn Astoria den katalava diafora. Efhmerides kathhmerina, "Lefkos Pyrgos" gia podosfairo :tup:

Here is a true story from the pre-digital age:

In April of 1996, before the Internet became my source for Greek sports information, I was depending on the local papers to learn about the latest Champions League results.

I was in Miami at the time and was very eager to read the result of the Ajax-Panathinaikos game for the semifinal of the CL.

The Miami Herald had just the result in small print in a little corner.

It read:

Champions League Semifinals

Ajax Amsterdam- Panathinaikos Athens 1-0...

When I read it, I thought it was a decent result, one that gave good chances for PAO in the second leg.

That evening when I returned home, I had some messages on my answering machine from friends calling from Greece.

They were PAOK, AEK, Osfp, PAO fans that were ecstatic about PAO's triumph in Amsterdam.

That is when I was delighted to realize that the Miami Herald did not believe that the actual score was ... 0-1

and misprinted 1-0!

Some must have felt the same way reading Greece triumphing over USSR in European basketball in 1987 :gr:

and over Portugal in European football in 2004. :gr:

Miracles happen... to Greece

PEACE

Archived