Phantis Forums

Odyssey TV

To inform those of you in Canada.

This past saturday Odyssey TV in Canada did not show the AEK-Hraklis match.

When AEK and PAO signed their deals with ERTSat to show the games in the U.S.

back in October...I called Odyssey and they told me that they were showing those matches on Odyssey2. So I called and subscribed to the Odyssey 1 & 2 package for 24.95 a month. Over the last 4 months...they were showing AEK and PAO home matches live on Odyssey2., and OSFP home matches on Odyssey1. After calling them all weekend and not finding anyone, I finally got in touch with them today. What I encountered was total lack of customer care and rudeness. They told me they have no rights to show anything but the OSFP home games. When I explained to the guy that for the last 3-4 months i have been watching these games on Odyssey2...he told me forget what I saw....and that they don't have the rights. When i said I am paying 25 a month for their service he said nothing is free and when I told him i would cancel the service if I did not see the AEK and PAO home games...he told me he could care less. This is what happens when a monopoly is protected by the CRTC. I am not going to publically post the phone number, but if anyone wants to voice their displeasure....then they can PM me and i will give you the number to call. Also if anyone in the T.O. area can please PM me and tell me where I can obtain Dishnetwork equipment, so i can watch ERTSat, i'd really appreciate it.

in north america ert-sat(the good version! the european stinks) are absolutely free with a normal dish and satelite reciever.

look u and others u are wasting your money.

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc6.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/sc1.html

also for those down under life is good life is free

http://www.lyngsat.com/t10.html

http://www.lyngsat.com/optusb3.html

as u all can see u will also catch other greek channels for free

go to your local satelite shop and say what satelite u want to recieve and he will hook u up

back in October...I called Odyssey and they told me that they were showing those matches on Odyssey2. So I called and subscribed to the Odyssey 1 & 2 package for 24.95 a month. Over the last 4 months...they were showing AEK and PAO home matches live on Odyssey2., and OSFP home matches on Odyssey1. After calling them all weekend and not finding anyone, I finally got in touch with them today. What I encountered was total lack of customer care and rudeness. They told me they have no rights to show anything but the OSFP home games. When I explained to the guy that for the last 3-4 months i have been watching these games on Odyssey2...he told me forget what I saw....and that they don't have the rights. When i said I am paying 25 a month for their service he said nothing is free and when I told him i would cancel the service if I did not see the AEK and PAO home games...he told me he could care less. This is what happens when a monopoly is protected by the CRTC. I am not going to publically post the phone number, but if anyone wants to voice their displeasure....then they can PM me and i will give you the number to call. Also if anyone in the T.O. area can please PM me and tell me where I can obtain Dishnetwork equipment, so i can watch ERTSat, i'd really appreciate it.

Odyssey had a greek montreal newspaper ad a few months ago saying that it was illegal to have Dishnetwork and we'd be penalized heavily and that they are the sole providers of greek channels, blah blah blah.

Scare tactics cause they know many greeks have Dishnet.. I'm sure this ad appeared in greek communities across Canada.

Your experience goes to show they just don't care and obviously want to have the monopoly. CRTC is another joke.

Mk 21:

I am not surprised with your encounter at all. I'm an Odyssey 1 & 2 subscriber and I too faced rudeness the one (and only) time I called their office. So have others that I have talked to. If it wasn't for my family's wish to watch those nightly soap operas and sit-coms, I would have cancelled my subscription a long time ago. I would love to subscribe to DISH as well, but unfortunately I live in a condo that faces north so DISH is not an option for me, or so I believe.

Perhaps Odyssey never was given the right by Ert-Sat to broadcast the AEK and PAO matches but did so anyway, until they got caught...

Slick13,

What you see in lyngsat is that all these chanells are Free-To-Air, indeed. it means that you can get them all for free with the corect dish and receiver. The only problem is that those satellites are not "viewable" from everywhere in the world.

North America is not able to get these frequencies simply because these satellites are not visible from here. The only way to get Greek TV here is through Dishnetwork and it's with paid subscription (unless someone knows how to hack them, also possible).

Perhaps Odyssey never was given the right by Ert-Sat to broadcast the AEK and PAO matches but did so anyway, until they got caught...

I am kind of thinking this might be the case. Because when I kept telling him what was on the last 3 months.....he told me it did not matter and he kept saying he was talking to me in "Ellinika" and if I understood. I guess "Ellinika" to him means

something fishy was going on.

Triffili you are right. What I meant is you cannot catch AMC-6 with a typical small Dishnetwork dish. You need a very large dish for that (they are not allowed to be installed where I live for beautification purposes - can you believe this?) and a special receiver. This dish has the capability to turn 260 degrees around its axel, up and down and look at a variety of "birds". The cost of the equipment is very high but you can get every Dick and Harry that is available in your area and broadcasts for free. Subscription chanells require a fee of course. And it's not "hackable" (yet!)...

I see we have more happy, satisfied Odyssey TV customers :P :tdown:

This company is a joke and the people who own it are arrogant S.O.B's, who need to be taken down a few notches! I say its time to fight back- everyone out there from Canada, tell everyone you know who subscribes to Odyssey or know someone who does to tell them to cancel their subscription ASAP. If enough people do this and they are left with very little subscribers, if any, and thus very little PROFIT, then maybe we can get them to close up shop and GO AWAY!! Without any Greek TV in Canada, we can then get cable and satellite companies to sponsor ERT, Mega and ANT and help get the REAL thing into Canada. Another thing to do is call, write the 3 channels and tell them what you think of Odyssey and tell them you want the channel as it exists in the U.S. (Direct from Greece). I cannot for the life of me believe why people would give these guys their hard-earned money. They don't give a rats a$$ about the customer and they do want they want and show what they want. United we stand paidia, time to take some action.

Some other points,

As far as I know, Odyssey does not show any ERT programs. They have Antenna on OTN1 and Mega on OTN2. Unless they recently signed an agreement but if you check out their lame website it says nothing about ERT?!

In terms of the ads for satellite theft, I tuned in to their radio program one day (they usually have coverage through ERA Sport of the games of our Ethniki) and during a break in the game, they ran an ad where Mr. Maniatakos went on for about 5-10 mins. about illegal satellite and how anyone who knows someone who has it should report them to the proper authorities. Give me a break, the guy is telling you to rat out your friends, neighbours, family. etc.- who in their right mind would do that?! So that these people can sign up to his crappy channels and fill his pockets- not in this lifetime bub! These guys are PATHETIC.

Regarding the Greek channels being FTA, I have been meaning to ask about this. I know ERT, Mega and Alter (if it is still up there, not sure what is going on with it) are all on the same satellite. You also get various radio programs. Antenna is on a different satellite by itself along with ANT Radio. They are all available in N. America but I believe they are on C-Band, which means you need a Big dish to get them. Can anyone who knows confirm if they are indeed C-Band and FTA. AMC-6 and satcom C1 can be picked up here because I believe that is the satelite that dishnet gets the signal from. They are uplinked onto these satellites by Unitel (seme transmission company in Greece) and then are beamed abroad for the omogenia in N. America, Australia, etc.

P.s.- mk21, check your PM, I may have a reciever for you.

As far as I know, Odyssey does not show any ERT programs. They have Antenna on OTN1 and Mega on OTN2. Unless they recently signed an agreement but if you check out their lame website it says nothing about ERT?!

In terms of the ads for satellite theft, I tuned in to their radio program one day (they usually have coverage through ERA Sport of the games of our Ethniki) and during a break in the game, they ran an ad where Mr. Maniatakos went on for about 5-10 mins. about illegal satellite and how anyone who knows someone who has it should report them to the proper authorities. Give me a break, the guy is telling you to rat out your friends, neighbours, family. etc.- who in their right mind would do that?! So that these people can sign up to his crappy channels and fill his pockets- not in this lifetime bub! These guys are PATHETIC.

HellasHab:

Odyssey does show some ERT programming, usually on Odyssey 1. For example, they show Athltiki Kyriaki every Sunday at around 5 pm EST., and show ERT's nightly 1 hour newscast every night at 8:30 pm EST. I have always wondered just what kind of relationship Odyssey has with ERT to occasionally show their programming. This recent fiasco with the PAO and AEK has made me a little bit suspicious...

Last week, I emailed ERT asking why they do not broadcast their network into Canada like they do in the U.S., Europe and Australia. I did not receive a response.

Regarding those satellite theft ads, it's very typical of them isn't it? Instead of creating positive ads and trying to tell people why they should buy the Odyssey product, they try to scare them instead. I also find this a bit hypocritical on their part...

Archived