Phantis Forums

Shum Fired!!!

slick13

Good morning gents,

I have to admit that I am a bit confused???

It was in a forum such as this that many of us were calling for the head of Schum,to be delivered on a platter, due to his incompetence!!!! and that was a week ago..Now that the wishes come true, we are complaining...Please someone shed some light as to why when we get our wish, we don't like the result...

I hope that not too many of us thought that we would get a top notch coach to come in in the middle of the season and take over a team?. It is very simple,, the good one's are snatched up allready. It would be naive to think otherwise..

Again, results will speak volumes.......Lets see what happens, the only positive is that we have a couple of weeks to prepare.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-------------

He coached ONE good game, the CUP final vs gauro 3-1, and was helped by the ignorance of the opponent "coach" :LOL:

PAO's best game last season was the 1-3 at Glasgow, where in fact Scum did not really coach, but left the players free to play attacking football since nothing was at stake

The fact that PAO is the double winner has less to do with Scum and more with heroics from players that rose to the occasion. Manolis was our saviour four times, the last three league games and the tie with AEK in the cup (2-2). Goumas vs gauro (2-2) and AEK in the cup semi. Before that it was PAPA or someone else

(Munch, Giourkas, Basinas) that would come out to make something happen.

The way PAO played last year was not planned but improvised

This year Gonzo "eixe kaifia" in the first three games.

The loss to PSV reminded ALL who Scum really is, when the players are unable to save him...

I believe that was the final blow, as well as his disagreements with the BOSS... Zaets

What is ironic, is that just when Scum tried to do something good:

Against too many foreigners, Halkias over Galinovic, and more attacking style ... He gets sacked

His firing came suddenly and at a crucial time for the CL

If PAO gets someone that will be able to work with Zaets, but not be intimidated by him, this firing will be a good move, otherwise... "ta idia, ta idia , mas prixate t' ar...dia"

Some unknown Czech will probably not be the answer, we might as well make Zaets the coach and manager, that will spare us from the "drama"

My pick would be either one of the PAO great, of the past, or a name coach, but NOT Anastasiadis...

He had a lot of problems controlling the players last time, he can not take the pressure of a big time team and does not like foreigners...

Plus he makes embarrassing remarks and mixes religion with sports.

"Me tin voithia ths Panagias" or "Oti thelei o Theos"... is not the best way to plan for a good result !!! :o

A player that has already played at PAO, would be a great choice, since one would hope that there would be more familiarity and mutual respect, something essential for the dynamics of this relationship between MANAGER and COACH at PAO.

-------------

---------

PEACE

I just wanted all of you to re-read this post (you can go back and read the whole thing)..... because it explains EXACTLY what's been going on with OUR team!

I watched on tape many games from last season.... When PAO did well, it seemed to me that it was due to IMPROVISING not out of a greater plan. We got also lucky, as individuals had bright moments at the right time!

Let's face it.... with the exception of 2 games 1. at Glaskow, 2. cup final, which other games we really dominated the other team? I mean, showing up as a disciplined team with a plan???!!!

Even on our last match against Paniliakos, when supposedly we should have been at the apex of our game, we couldn't get 2-3 consecutive passes or have any organized attack. We played like I used to play with friends on the weekend, kicking the ball around.... and if one of us had a little better skill, then it showed....

It's easy to forget your underlying problems when you get some success.... but success depends also on the quality of your opponents! Oh, and when our opponents are good (like in euro play) it clearly shows what we're made of....

Good morning gents,

I have to admit that I am a bit confused???

It was in a forum such as this that many of us were calling for the head of Schum,to be delivered on a platter, due to his incompetence!!!! and that was a week ago..Now that the wishes come true, we are complaining...Please someone shed some light as to why when we get our wish, we don't like the result...

I hope that not too many of us thought that we would get a top notch coach to come in in the middle of the season and take over a team?. It is very simple,, the good one's are snatched up allready. It would be naive to think otherwise..

Again, results will speak volumes.......Lets see what happens, the only positive is that we have a couple of weeks to prepare.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

i wanted shoum out, but not in this manner, not in this time period and not to a coach like skazgi...

I remember when Shoum came you said PAO was a defensive team. So why the hell are you now complaining the team didn't play attacking football and didn't play great games?! :blink: :blink:

Really, wasn't PAO playing poorly the other 7 years around? and on these years what real euro success have you had?

um well weve actually won games.

we were an inch away in 2001-02 from the semi finals of CL.....

the year before we made it to the next round after smahsing juventus 3-1......we beat porto away but screwed up in overtime in the uefa cup 2 years ago when they won.....i like soum a lot but his euro performance was really poor.

poor guy.... hes right about everything exept for PSV being better than us. I think they would definitly take Gonzalez, Manoli or Papadopoulos...the koreans suck. we could have beaten that team but we didnt attack. we scored 2 vs Ajax why couldnt we go up and take a goal with PSV?

he deserved a lot better treatment than this.

This interview brings up lots and lots of great points. One of the main goals this year was to have European success BUT to play attacking and attractive football while doing it. Now if you think back to our recent european success it has all come from defensive play and counter attacks. Which is the only way a smaller team can beat a big one. Now, this year with Gonzalez and Skacel in the lineup we were hoping to be able to play attacking football in europe and be successful. But maybe Shum was right. Maybe we don't have the tools to do this.

Which also leads to another question. Was Shum maybe fired because he wanted more and better players like he said in the interview. It's really tough for us, the fans to come up with any real conclusions because not very often does somebody do an interview and answer ALL the questions in the way Shum did. If only everybody was as open as this then maybe we could know exactly what the problems are and who to blame for them.

Oh, and another thing that i wanted to say is that a lot of how the average fan thinks is controlled by the Mass Media which is pro-Gavro in anti-everybody else in Greece. I listen to a lot of radio and read a lot of newspapers whenever i get the chance. And back when we were doing very good year in and year out in europe and Olympiakos was disgracing themselves yet winning the titles, the bottom line that the reporters would always put across to the people was that in the end Olympiakos fans should be happy because they won the league and Panathinaikos is the loser because they didn't win.

Now that the roles are completely reversed, the Media is doing its best to degrade and take away the importance of the Greek League and put over whoever does good in europe. Also when we were having our exceptional runs in europe with our team being almost all Greek. Nobody even critisized once Olympiakos for having a mainly foreign team like they did, nor did they praise us for doing good in europe with GREEK players. I'll wrap this up now cause its getting rediculously long but thats how i feel.

This interview brings up lots and lots of great points. One of the main goals this year was to have European success BUT to play attacking and attractive football while doing it. Now if you think back to our recent european success it has all come from defensive play and counter attacks. Which is the only way a smaller team can beat a big one. Now, this year with Gonzalez and Skacel in the lineup we were hoping to be able to play attacking football in europe and be successful. But maybe Shum was right. Maybe we don't have the tools to do this.

Which also leads to another question. Was Shum maybe fired because he wanted more and better players like he said in the interview. It's really tough for us, the fans to come up with any real conclusions because not very often does somebody do an interview and answer ALL the questions in the way Shum did. If only everybody was as open as this then maybe we could know exactly what the problems are and who to blame for them.

Oh, and another thing that i wanted to say is that a lot of how the average fan thinks is controlled by the Mass Media which is pro-Gavro in anti-everybody else in Greece. I listen to a lot of radio and read a lot of newspapers whenever i get the chance. And back when we were doing very good year in and year out in europe and Olympiakos was disgracing themselves yet winning the titles, the bottom line that the reporters would always put across to the people was that in the end Olympiakos fans should be happy because they won the league and Panathinaikos is the loser because they didn't win.

Now that the roles are completely reversed, the Media is doing its best to degrade and take away the importance of the Greek League and put over whoever does good in europe. Also when we were having our exceptional runs in europe with our team being almost all Greek. Nobody even critisized once Olympiakos for having a mainly foreign team like they did, nor did they praise us for doing good in europe with GREEK players. I'll wrap this up now cause its getting rediculously long but thats how i feel.

now thats a good post :)

Sounds to me like he didn't think highly enough of his teams players. He thought PSV were better so he decided not to play the game? Put 10 guys in front of the goal and thats it? Also interesting how people praise him for getting the title after 7 years when we all know it simply wasn't legit during that entire time. And I'm not saying Olympiakos bought their way to the top for each of those years, but for several at least yeah, sure.

thx for that interview Evergreen, we had none like that in Israel, Shoum didn't speak to any of our media.

You know, in Israel my team Maccabi Haifa also have a similar problem. Our fans and media are never pleased with the manager no matter what he does.

in 7 years we've had 6 managers.

First one brought us fantastic offensive football and produced many stars, but he didn't win the league and got fired.

Then we brought a Czech coach (Dushan Oharin, brought Czech-Rep to euro 96 final) and we beat P.S.G in europe, but he was fired after a defeat in the cup.

Then we brought another coach, who won the league but was critisized of not playing attractive enough. Then he won another championship, but was accused that with the players he had anyone could have won the league even on the phone, and with better results.

The we got Shoum. He led us to an historic europian season, but was critisized at loosing the league on goal-defference.

Now we have another coach who got us the championship, and again all are saying we play too defensively and not attractive enough.

I guess that's what happens when you get used to success, whether europian or local. you begin wanting your team to be perfect, and "plain" achievements do not please you.

Only time will tell if your move will help the team reach its goals. I'll be here waiting and watching what's wrong with your next coach (in your eyes).

But really more then everything i think ur problem is the way ur team is directed...

It's is important for me to state that we should hold back on making conclusion about this apparent "interview" because it was conducted at a car wash(?) perhaps on a off-the record basis. Let's wait and see if Shum will actually confirm these words because after a good thought and chat with other PAO I find it hard to believe would say some of the things he mentioned because he sought of nullifies the team and discredits himself. It should raise suspisions that from one day, he wouldn't say anything, and the next he's singing like a canary.

We know what journalists are like with misinterpretations, exaggerations and fiction.

Archived