Phantis Forums

Germany coach Voller resigned

ZeeKoei

from sportinglife.com

The prospect of a poor World Cup showing on home soil in 2006 drove Germany coach Rudi Voller to quit on Thursday.

Voller quit as national coach after Germany was eliminated from Euro 2004 on Wednesday night with the 2-1 loss to the Czech Republic.

"With the 2006 World Cup being staged in Germany, I feel it needs a person with enough credit," said the 44-year-old.

"I had a lot of credit when I started four years ago. Carrying the load of a first-round exit, this would have been very tough for me."

Germany have now failed to reach the quarter-final stage at the past two European Championships.

Voller said said he had thought about quitting immediately after the loss to the Czechs but he wanted to discuss his resignation with DFB president Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder first.

Said DFB president Gerhard Mayer-Vorfelder: "We asked him to reconsider his decision. He said it wasn't spontaneous. We'll respect it but regret the decision."

Former Bayer Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld is the front-runner to lead Germany in 2006, but Mayer-Vorfelder said the DFB would not be rushed into announcing a successor.

"We'll take enough time. It4s obvious that Ottmar Hitzfeld's name will play an important role in all our considerations," he said.

Voller's claim to fame was guiding Germany to glory at the 2002 World Cup, where his newly-installed team spirit and discipline lifted them to a surprising second-place finish.

entire article

also Otto (other sources) named as possible replacement for Rudi

bad news for the NT :(

German coach, Rudi Voeller, resigned after his team's loss and elimination from Euro 2004: From the BBC

I already put the news in the NT section (but asked mouse- before this one was here - to move it towards here )

'cause Otto is named (after Hitzfeld) to replace Rudi (the thieves :angry: )

but it looks it's going to be Omar, so perhaps this indeed is a more suitable place to place the news ;)

--

Topics Merged....

Dimitris

Hmm.. I cannot imagine that Rehagel would go back to Germany in the near future....... He told in an interview just after the game this evening, he would not make any comment to this before he'll have spoken with Völler.... so, we must wait a while..

("ö" = Posted Image )

*g*

Hitzfeld rejected  :o

look at this :(

Bild: will he be our new national coach?

The pic You added, is from our stupid "BILD"-newspaper...... so: no worries!!!
uhuh, I know the reputation of Bild :)

but it's a fact Hitzfeld rejected the offer, and I read in more serious press they might want Otto

let's hope Otto doesn't want them :)

I hope for Rehagel he will stay where he gets happiness..... that means in Greece!

We Germans are 100% with the Greek team and want to see them again in 2006...

(still cannot believe it: GREECE GOT IT!!!!!!!!!???!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted Image

After the first victory against Portugal....in an interview...Otto said now we should think already to the WC 2006 , we have a game against Albania in Tirana in September...and we have to be ready...

Yesterday 04.07.2004 when the Greek journalist asked him about the WC2006 Greek Campaign....if that would be the next dream.....

He avoided to speak about the coming Greek Games....

I think this is a sign that he will join the German Team......

Archived