Phantis Forums

South Melbourne Hellas

Unfortunately we lost the grand final 3-1 after extra time today, we were outplayed for most of the game, we copped a red card in the 85th minute and that pretty much killed us off as we tried to hang on in extra time but couldn't go with them, great atmosphere though and shame everyone bar the 100-150 Bentleigh fans went home disappointed.

Must regroup quickly as we have a national playoff quarter final at home against Tasmanias Olympia warriors next Saturday afternoon, this is the tournament we have been targeting to win to qualify directly for next years Ffa cup, after losing today we really need to win this, won't be easy as west Adelaide will most likely await if we get through to the semis and then I'd assume Blacktown who are probably favourites for it.

• 5 months later...

Yeh 3,600, excellent crowd considering the billionaires were playing at the same time and only got just over 7k at aami park, nice to see a lot of young faces in the crowd, non Greeks and plenty of females as well, corporate areas filled and of course a packed grand stand. Problem is due to the Grand Prix we have our next 6 games away from home so it's hard for us to build momentum, the day was such a success I think we could have had another big crowd with another home game.

As for the game Heidelberg were not that bad, they actually dominated possession and pinned us back for lengthy periods in the 1st half without creating much,they had lots of corners and set pieces around our box which we dealt with comfortably. defensively they were a shambles though and we hit them with some deadly counter attacks. Honestly I think if we didn't take off a few of our key players we could have hit them for double digits, as it turned out round 1 on a hot day took the safe option and just mucked around in the 2nd half. In general play it didn't feel like your typical smashing but when we broke forward with speed they couldn't get near us, the way we moved the ball from defence to attack at times you almost forgot you were watching local soccer lol

I think what this result has taught us is that pre season means nothing, Heidelberg went undefeated in all the friendly games they played and look a million bucks, by contrast south were very ordinary and some of our friends from Sydney would say the same thing when we played Olympic , but it's obvious after Sunday's performance that we were piss farting around in the practice games and had our sights set on this one, for round 1 we looked extremely sharp and we were so clinical with our chances.

It wasnt as easy as scoreline suggests, they missed a penalty and hit the post to make it 1-1..but 2nd half south stepped it up piling on another 3 goals...cant complain with 10 goals in 2 games. Its strange cos we arent actually playing all that well.

The bergers are a decent side and will be in the finals mix south just crushed them last week and everything clicked, the Knights lost a lot of key players but for a proud club like that it's a disgraceful score line . Every team loses but I'd be livid if south ever copped 6 against anyone in this league, bentleigh also out 6 past Richmond so the goals are flying in.

Another derby for Hellas away at port Melbourne on Friday night, this will be tricky as port purposely reduce the grounds size so they can shut opposing teams down, kid you not its a juniors ground these days and we always struggle there as we have no space to move the ball, basically becomes Russian roulette.

South come away with a 2-0 win at port Melbourne, 1st half was the best we had played all season, had enough chances to score a bucketload, to ports credit they had most of the ball in the 2nd half but didn't threaten enough.

3 from 3, 12 goals scored, 0 conceeded.

Off to bulleen next Monday night/labour day, traditionally a popular game that gets a big crowd and we haven't played at that ground for years, should be a fun night.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulleen 2-2 south Melbourne

We were played off the park for 70 minutes, bulleen jumped out to 2-0 lead in the first 20 minutes, south were terrible and the synthetic pitch was having a huge impact on the game, our players looked like they had stepped onto ice, they literally looked scared playing on that thing and resorted to just pumping long balls to the other end of the field which played into bulleens hands, we came into the game after about the 70th minute, pulled it back to 2-1 in the 84th minute and struck the equaliser in the 89th. Completely underserved draw but we will take it as I doubt many teams will walk out of that place with anything this season.

Atmosphere was top notch, 2,500 people on a 8.30pm Monday night kick off time, the lines outside to get in were chaotic and I missed both of bulleens goals, place went nuts when south equalised though.

Complete capitulation last night, 3-1 up at half time, had chances to make it 4-1, conceeded 5 2nd half goals to lose 6-3 against Richmond who are one of the worst teams in the league, the most embarassing Hellas defeat I've ever witnessed live, struggling to process wtf went wrong in that last half hour.

Hume away next week, bentleigh, oakleigh and victory at home to round out the month April, based on last night we will be losing all these games.

I swear if you drop your guard in this league and don't respect the opposition you really do get punished, it's the reason why every week some team seems to cop 6, it was our turn this week, I made fun of heldelberg and Melbourne Knights for copping beatings this year but never did I think I'd see such unprofessionalism from my club, I'm not going to lie we could have conceeded 10 in the 2nd half. 3-1 in the 60th minute to 3-6 in the 90th minute is crazy! They copped a red card with 5 minutes to play and still put another past us, what a wake up call.

• 2 weeks later...

Hume 1-2 South

We got spanked first 40 minutes, then Hume copped a red card and we scored from the resulting free kick, they continued to dominate us even with 10 men and we got a 2nd goal against the run of play, we refused to go for the kill and ended up copping a goal to make it 2-1 and then we held out the last 10 minutes for the win, massive win after what happened last week but the team looks like a mess right now despite being top of the ladder.

After 5 weeks away from home we return to lakeside to face bentleigh next Sunday in the top of the table clash, should be looking at close to 2,000 ppl but on present form we will get smashed.

Crazy scenes in tonights cup tie between Hellas and Altona, we won 3-0 but the skops caused trouble, the match was delayed 20 minutes because they couldn't get the lights on, we had a very weakened lineup and almost paid the price as we were riding our luck, 65th minute we win a penalty and lights go out again! In amongst the chaos the skops launch a flare at our supporters and hit one of our female fans in the head( hope she's ok), within a few minutes cop cars had arrived at the ground to remove the trouble making skops who by all reports were Preston fans not Altona, after almost 30 minutes match resumed, we scored the penalty, they pushed us but we got a 2nd on the counter and finally wrapped it up in injury time with a 3rd. Pretty big crowd but these skops are animals.

We have another high risk game against victory youth on Sunday at home, now that a league commitments are done they are apparently planning on coming down to run a muck.

Altona and Preston fans hanging eachother all over social media lol.

It was definitely Preston fans that came for trouble, Altona is mostly supported by oldies who use to be Footscray just fans, pro yugo club that never causes trouble with Greeks, Preston on the other hand are mostly confused lunatics from florina who use to support Heidelberg in the 70s and 80s...the younger generations are lunatics.

Seating arrangements for tomorrow are Hellas fans to enter stadium through the traditional gate 2 entrance into the main grandstand, victory fans will enter through gate 1 which leads to the new grandstand on the opposite end, expecting a big crowd tomorrow and with rumoured plans that victory fans are planning trouble the club has decided to throw them on the other side, the opposite end of the ground has only been opened once before and that was the friendly against Sydney Olympic 5 years ago that opened the stadium. Hope we smash these pricks.

- Melbourne victory fans leave grandstand, run across the running track and jump into the Hellas grandstand to attack our supporters.

- they tried to steal our banners, chucked bottles at us some of which were actually chemicals.

- they stole the corner flag and chucked it like a javelin, this is all during 2nd half.

- punches were thrown as we were trying to defend our end, lots of families and kids near by who would never have expected these animals to actually invade the arena to come into our stand.

- after they did this these fools left the ground and decided to smash cars that had south stickers on them.

If this is the family friendly A league people go on about then I'm pretty happy staying where I am with my club. We won the game 1-0...we scored not long after these incidents and the place erupted, we literally should have won by 7-8 goals, hit the post 4 times!

As one person put it F*** victory and every Greek in Melbourne who supports them!

Crowd was around 2,000 maybe a bit more, victory fans totalled about 250...by the end maybe only 30 were left inside the ground, the rest were hooligans.

I hope they get the book thrown at them but I'm sure they will get away with this? Filth club.

• Like it 1

I've never hated victory because I've never had genuine contact with them, after tonight I hate them about as much as the skop clubs. The first time we played them in 2007 they hit our player in the head with a flare and chucked half a dozen flares at our goalkeeper, being still young and on the other side of the field I let that go, after tonight though witnessing them come to our grandstand and try attack us with kids, the elderly and families nearby all I can say is they make me sick, I dare one ex hellatzi that follows this mob now to look me in the eye now and justify such a disgusting act of treachery. I wish nothing but harm upon this club.

I've been a hellas fan since I was 5 years old, I've never felt more passionate about this club then what I did tonight, it made me realise that they can go on and on about ethnics and trouble but at the end of the day we are real supporters, we were there tonight to watch our team, they were there to cause chaos, that franchise can get F***ed they will never have the heart and soul of clubs likes ours. And you know what I dont give a toss if we never play in the top flight again, who needs that s%$#!, just a bunch of over excited punk teenagers and adults who wish they could relive their youth, and all the 3rd generation Greek kids that worship that pathetic franchise can suck me off, end rant,

Edited by Greekoz
  • Like it 1