Phantis Forums

Greece - Germany

Irlandos

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that zougla.com article there was a bit of history between Greece and Germany. Actually, they list the 2nd game first:

In our first game ever against the Germans we lost 2-1 away.

The 2nd game was at home and we were playing OK and even won a penalty but Hans Tilkowski stopped Kostas Nestoridis' shot. We went on to lose 3-0.

GERMANY

1 Neuer(GK)

5 Hummels

14 Badstuber

16 Lahm(Captain)

20 Boateng

6 Khedira

7 Schweinsteiger

8 Ozil

9 Schurrle

21 Reus

11 Klose

BENCH

12 Wiese(GK)

22 Zieler(GK)

3 Schmelzer

4 Howedes

17 Mertesacker

2 Gundogan

13 Muller

15 Bender

18 Kroos

19 Gotze

23 Gomez

10 Podolski

Manager: Joachim Low(GER)

line up according to soccerway.

13 M. Sifakis

15 V. Torosidis

5 K. Papadopoulos

19 S. Papastathopoulos

3 G. Tzavelas

2 G. Maniatis

21 K. Katsouranis

6 G. Makos

18 S. Ninis

7 G. Samaras

14 D. Salpingidis

our midfield looks weak, i hope ninis and makos don't get over run, i'd like to have seen gekas up front. its gonna be a busy night for our back 4 and keeper.

GREECE

13 Sifakis(GK)

2 Maniatis

3 Tzavellas

5 Papadopoulos

15 Torosidis

19 Papastathopoulos

6 Makos

18 Ninis

21 Katsouranis(Captain)

7 Samaras

14 Salpingidis

BENCH

1 Chalkias(GK)

12 Tzorvas(GK)

4 Malezas

16 Fotakis

22 Fortounis

23 Fetfatzidis

9 Lyberopoulos

11 Mitroglou

17 Gkekas

Giorgos Karagounis, Avraam Papdopoulos and Jose Holebas are unavailable.

Manager: Fernando Santos(POR)

In a perfect world, when the midfield captain goes down the much younger replacement has a game that makes everyone else forget about who was missing.

Ninis has that chance today, so far he hasn't done anything but he will make us all forget games 1 through 3 if he puts one in.

For Greece in general, they must survive the first 15 minutes. Germany will come at them like the Czechs did and try to get one or two right away.

One other thing, Kloze starting over Gomez???

Don't like our line up! Prior to the line up I was concerned about being overrun in the centre of midfield, but had hope because we had strong flanks. Now with Ninis right wing (the guy is too slow to play there and doesn't track back at all!) it will mean that Torosidis will probably be pinned back. Our best "weapon" is Torosidis' crosses so that will nulify that now. We should have kept Salpi on the right and gone with Mitroglou up front to hold the ball up. Alternatively we could have played Fortunis or Fetfa on the left with Samaras up front. Not keen on this line up at all. Fingers crossed I'm wrong!

Their right side isn't particularly strong today. Reus is quality but drifts centrally which could leave Boateng a little exposed. We have to get at him. Fetfa could be introduced later to turn him inside out. He's big and strong so could do well against Samaras but I Fetfa could cause him problems, particularly in the last 20 mins when he's a little tired.

Badstuber I've never been that keen on, despite the fact that he's highly rated. He's not quite a left back but isn't quite a centre back, we should look to expose him aerially and boateng/hummels with movement. Collectively they are also poor at set pieces.

I'd say we have about 10% chance of doing it. Let's hope we get some luck today!

One more point, lucky Tzavellas is passed fit because Santos might have moved Torosidis there and played Maniatis right back. Makos, Fotakis, Ninis would have then been our midfield which would have been too weak, and it would have taken away Torosidis' crossing ability from the right hand side.

intangibles.....dont care what odds makers say.....if it were that easy we would all be millionaires betting sports......

this is a 50/50 game....its a matter of styles....and if the right team shows up, i think we will win..........IF the right team shows up......

good luck !!!

GO GREECE !!!! Just win baby.

Archived