Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2010

pao123

I saw quite a few Lyon games. The 2 games against Real Madrid, the 2 against Bayern. I saw them away at Valenciennes and against PSG. I'm sure i saw more but can't name them off the top of my head right now.

I'm not saying he's terrible, just not what we wanted to solve our problems and we're deluding ourselves if we say he is a killer

As for who i'd have liked instead? Well Gallas was always my number option and it was inexcusable that we didn't give him the extra cash. Another fantastic acquisition would have been Majid Bougherra of Glasgow Rangers. Superb defender! John Mensah of Lyon (on loan at Sunderland last year) maybe, or why not go for Fulham's Hangeland? There are opportunities out there but they'd have cost money and the Gallas scenario shows that unless Pateras is at the helm we aren't willing to do that

i dont think anyone is denying that he isnt a killer...we can make an argument that for the SL he could be a killer, but for europe he is nothing more than a strong defender...the market this year is tough...CB are one of the hardest positions to buy cause lets be honest, who is going to part with their starting CB let alone sell them for a reasonable fee or release them...

would we have rather paid 3 mill a year for gallas? or bordon for that matter? is kyrgiakos really THAT much better then boumsong (i think not)

im scowering my mind for 'available' centre backs and the truth is theres not much out there that we can afford that we would consider a KILLER...

i dont think theres a doubt that boumsong will strengthen our defense...i think ppl are just pissed bc we didnt sign a HUGE name and are making the transfer out to be 100% worst than it actually is...

we are signing a centre back that has played at the highest levels and in the best leagues his whole career...

im not saying he is the best option, but hes a pretty good one...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyrgiakos is NOT better then Boumsong.... please stop the insanity.

He is not a Killer CB but how many would come to greece anyway. and according to reports gallas was asking for 70 to 80k a week

thats almost TWICE what Cisse makes. Please. Ego ...down.

Whos to say he was actually going to come to PAO anyway. Gallas that is. Could all have been a ploy by his manager to get him extra moneys wherever he signs.

And Boumsong was really good vs Bayern in the game he played... only one of the two he played by the way...

He was stellar vs Real in Madrid and Lyon was good vs real in France but coem to say he was a passenger...

He was very good in ligue 1 too.

He started 17 games and had 2 subs as well. He had 1 poor season in Newcastle but only in his 2 year. He was great for Rangers and was part of the Juventus team that came up to Serie A along with Trez, Del Piero, Nedved, Chiellini, Zanetti etc. Played 30 games that season.

He is heads over any defender we have and is automatically a Top 3 CB in Greece.

His is Great in the air and has improved tons at tackling. (I saw him often last season for Lyon in the league only saw him 2 times in the CL)

We allowed 17 goals last season.. go back and watch them... more then half came off crosses into the box where a tall defender would of helped us. He and Govou have been added as starters and both are better then the players they are replacing.

We are better then we were last year and Oly has only improved in the LM position.

Imbagaza was a star once but he is not the same player he was even 2 years ago.

Romendahl is decent at best.

reports today say we are looking into picking up nemeth as a back.up striker...while i dont think we will get him (liverpool are looking to offload, not to loan and his cost is around 2 million) this is the type f transfer i would prefer for the position...a young talent that will work hard to prove his worth when he gets the opportunity...he should also be flexible in playing multple position in the front..nemeth can play on the wings as a second striker and as a goal scorer...

this is the type of player we should be looking at...not ilan..

if we pay the 2 million now, we will be able to sell him for way more in some time..but i dont think we will...regardless, this is the type of player that could be useful to us...

reports today say we are looking into picking up nemeth as a back.up striker...while i dont think we will get him (liverpool are looking to offload, not to loan and his cost is around 2 million) this is the type f transfer i would prefer for the position...a young talent that will work hard to prove his worth when he gets the opportunity...he should also be flexible in playing multple position in the front..nemeth can play on the wings as a second striker and as a goal scorer...

this is the type of player we should be looking at...not ilan..

if we pay the 2 million now, we will be able to sell him for way more in some time..but i dont think we will...regardless, this is the type of player that could be useful to us...

Rare this will happen but i have to agree 100% with you.

Young,talented and a player that if given time he could be a great asset and also make a profit for the club if he is to be sold in a few years.

after melissis and galinov, gabriel and cleyton are next on the list

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/284912

my question is who will back up govou..i know ninis can play on the right and so can lazaro...hopefully we are going to see more of mavrias, which excites me...nioplias says he wants two players per position...luckily we have a deep midfield that is very versatile but i see us picking up one more midfielder for reinforcement..esp after the depature of ruka, gabriel and cleyton..

Kyrgiakos is NOT better then Boumsong.... please stop the insanity.

He is not a Killer CB but how many would come to greece anyway. and according to reports gallas was asking for 70 to 80k a week

thats almost TWICE what Cisse makes. Please. Ego ...down.

Whos to say he was actually going to come to PAO anyway. Gallas that is. Could all have been a ploy by his manager to get him extra moneys wherever he signs.

And Boumsong was really good vs Bayern in the game he played... only one of the two he played by the way...

He was stellar vs Real in Madrid and Lyon was good vs real in France but coem to say he was a passenger...

He was very good in ligue 1 too.

He started 17 games and had 2 subs as well. He had 1 poor season in Newcastle but only in his 2 year. He was great for Rangers and was part of the Juventus team that came up to Serie A along with Trez, Del Piero, Nedved, Chiellini, Zanetti etc. Played 30 games that season.

He is heads over any defender we have and is automatically a Top 3 CB in Greece.

His is Great in the air and has improved tons at tackling. (I saw him often last season for Lyon in the league only saw him 2 times in the CL)

We allowed 17 goals last season.. go back and watch them... more then half came off crosses into the box where a tall defender would of helped us. He and Govou have been added as starters and both are better then the players they are replacing.

We are better then we were last year and Oly has only improved in the LM position.

Imbagaza was a star once but he is not the same player he was even 2 years ago.

Romendahl is decent at best.

Why are we even talking about Olympiakos' transfers? I care about our own team. Rommedahl is mediocre, Ibagaza is gifted technically, but he's 34. Riera is a top player but they've "frozen" their search for a holding midfielder. I don't fear Olympiakos, but i do want us to kick on and become a force in Europe and Boumsong isn't what I was hoping for. He's ok, but not great and I believe there were better options. That's all i'm saying.

Fair enough...

And all i am saying.. is.. just because there are other players available... doesnt mean they would come to Pao.

I dont rate Bogherra I mean he is ok but nothign special.... Hagenland I believe PAO tried to go after last january but he was not interested in a PAO move.

Mensah from Lyon is horrid. Lyon couldnt wait to get him off on loan... they couldnt sell him to anyone.

I liked Mensah from ghana in the WC... but that was the kid we had on trial and didnt sign last year.

Either way.. We agree on certain points... and on others we dont.. thats fine...

All I wanted was improvement from year to year.. and we improved tons with govou and Boum

Nothign tells me there are great defendrs available anyway..

Fair enough...

And all i am saying.. is.. just because there are other players available... doesnt mean they would come to Pao.

I dont rate Bogherra I mean he is ok but nothign special.... Hagenland I believe PAO tried to go after last january but he was not interested in a PAO move.

Mensah from Lyon is horrid. Lyon couldnt wait to get him off on loan... they couldnt sell him to anyone.

I liked Mensah from ghana in the WC... but that was the kid we had on trial and didnt sign last year.

Either way.. We agree on certain points... and on others we dont.. thats fine...

All I wanted was improvement from year to year.. and we improved tons with govou and Boum

Nothign tells me there are great defendrs available anyway..

Bougherra is class mate and that's why he was a target for Schalke, they saw him as an upgrade to Bordon and rightly so. He's by far the best defender in Scotland and has been brilliant for Algeria too.

Mensah was very impressive at Sunderland last season, the other Mensah is also very good and it was dumb that we didn't sign him when we had the chance.

I'm still not convinced that Govou is an upgrade over Salpi, they both have their strengths so it's a pretty even swap in my opinion. But we have definitely had an upgrade with Boumsong, there's no doubt about that. I was just hoping for a bigger upgrade. If he can replicate his Rangers form with us he'll be great, if he plays like he did at Newcastle he'll be a disaster, and if we get the Lyon-Boumsong he'll simply be somewhere between "good" and "very good", whereas i was hoping for "KILLER!" :P

i dont agree, i think govou is definitly an upgrade from salpi for the RIGHT WING...i mean, the players have different qualities...salpi is a work horse, knows the league and very fast off the line, but govou is a more technical player and a natural out and out winger..i think he will have a difficult time in the beginning but will definitly grow in the squad...his crossing and passing is far better than salpi and both have about equal defensive capabilities...salpi is just not a natural winger..i love the man and he brought another level of passion to the team that will be missed this year, but as far as a player for the right wing goes, i think we definilty upgraded...

bougherra was injured half the season last year...good player, but also not a killer in my opinion...not anymore more of a killer than boumsong...

Since Pao is trying and wants to become stronger than last year,losing your main midfield tool,at this moment is retarted in my eyes.I agree 1000% with pao123

(,1)that will not happen offen so dont get used to it and

2)tell me again your real name).

Pao management needs to come out and say clearly and loudly,NOT FOR SALE NO MATTER WHAT YOU OFFER,see you next year.It took forever to get a CB,now is not the time to lose your CM difference maker.....

boumsong is a panathinaikos player for the next three years +1 if he has a certain number of outings in his 3rd year and reports say he will earn 1.1 million a yr (w/o the bonuses) we have apparently paid lyon 750.000 for his services..

manztios is being looked at by hertha berlin, duisberg and portsmouth...

gabriel has interest from fluminense and santos...

cleyton is apparently in advanced talks with vasco de gama...

pantelic, nemeth and ilan are the names being thrown around and portsmouths Utaka as well...

nemeths agents came out today and said nemeth would love to come to pao only we they agree with liverpool..i think we should go for him even though he will cost around 2 mill...could be a very good investment..

andronikou (representative from portsmouth) will have talks with gontikas about some players...IF silva leaves (which doesnt seem too likely) i think kevin-prince boateng would be a worthy replacement...this proabably wont happen though...

19 yr old defender nir mansour (from the real madrid academies) is on a trial with our youth team until the end of the month..since liolios signed a professional contract and went on load to rodos, mansour is looked at as his replacement..

is Mansour really on trial....?

We should sign him... he will be a star im sure. I actually saw an u-21 israel match vs england and he was really good... I remember following him because they said he was at Real.

Wow... would be a mega signing... believe me.

Just looked it up on the net.. they say West Ham is also in the running for him.. hmmmm

is Mansour really on trial....?

We should sign him... he will be a star im sure. I actually saw an u-21 israel match vs england and he was really good... I remember following him because they said he was at Real.

Wow... would be a mega signing... believe me.

Just looked it up on the net.. they say West Ham is also in the running for him.. hmmmm

yup...with the golden team though...apparently he has been here for a little while and we are impressed so far so hopefully by the end of the month we pick him up...

i did a bit of research and he also trialed at man city...

Archived