Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2010

pao123

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how does everyone feel about sydney govou..his name has been linked very strongly to pao to replace salpi on the right wing...

in more serious and probably more ACCURATE reports...we are close to signing both ioannidis and daniel fernandez...

all the more impressive that he signed for us after been successful at one club for some many years, lyon.

our attack, which was always our strong point, can only improve with govou

now to plug the holes in defence!

apparently we made an offer to marcelo bordon but it appears he will sign for qatari club...in my opinion i think we can do better...bordon was too old for me...

60% of david's rights are being sold to flamengo for 600.000 euro...

Govou is a good signing, but not an amazing one in the way the media have portrayed him. He's very good and will be a very good player for us, but so was Salpi and losing him to gain Govou isn't necessarily a huge upgrade. Govou is neater and more skilled but Salpi is more dangerous in the box, is much more determined and better defensively. So it's a change of style rather than a big upgrade. I'm happy with the move but I hope that that isn't the BAM of the summer. I want a killer defender!!

As pao123 says, Bordon was too old. He was very good in his day but is past it now. Gallas is also old but still class so i'd love to have him. Let's not forget that the only reason he isn't going to be at Arsenal is because he wants a 3 year deal while they will only offer him a 1+1 contract. In turn, the only reason he didn't move to Juve is because he wanted too much money. So by getting him we would have a centre-back that would have been in Arsenal or Juve's first team next season and possibly the season after too. He's my first choice. The rumours are that it's between us and PSG for his signature so let's see what happens there.

Actually, I'm conflicted about this. Ithink it's good that such players come to PAO and Greece, but our team needs a couple great defenders. Since the money is tight (?), it should have been spent on defense. Maybe they have the money to do it this too. I just don't want to see getting players to impress while not getting those the team really, really needs.

GR won't get world-class (and recognized) talents in their low, mid 20s. The league and the money available is the problem. We will get older players, but age isn't necessarily a problem. Gilberto was the best signing of an "older" player. But, it's the job of the coaching staff & scouters to pick players who don't just come to GR to pick up a fat paycheck and retire by walking on the pitch.

If only management/owners weren't fighting... we could be building a dynasty now.

athinaios, the good thing about the govou signings was we got him on a free transfer! so no money came out of our transfer package to sign him...money set aside for tranfers only goes to the cost of the player, not his salary...with this in mind we also gave him a 1 mill signing bonus..

i think govou is an upgrade from salpi..for the right wing definitly...whether he will perform or not is yet to be seen..his performances in france have been getting more mediocre but ligue 1 is mre competitive then the super league...lets hope him and cisse fight hard this year bc there is no more world cup call to give them extra motivation.

on other news, ioannidis is getting released from iraklis in the next couple days and will probably be our next signing

athinaios, the good thing about the govou signings was we got him on a free transfer! so no money came out of our transfer package to sign him...money set aside for tranfers only goes to the cost of the player, not his salary...with this in mind we also gave him a 1 mill signing bonus..

i think govou is an upgrade from salpi..for the right wing definitly...whether he will perform or not is yet to be seen..his performances in france have been getting more mediocre but ligue 1 is mre competitive then the super league...lets hope him and cisse fight hard this year bc there is no more world cup call to give them extra motivation.

on other news, ioannidis is getting released from iraklis in the next couple days and will probably be our next signing

Yes Ligue 1 is stronger, but Govou was fairly poor this season in the league. He was also terrible for the national team. However he had an impressive champions league. The point is, does one look towards the Champions League to judge him or the rest of the season? Don't get me wrong, he's good and is naturally more skilled than Salpi but in a 4-3-3 I wouldn't necessarily pick Govou over Salpi. It would be a real headache for the manager. So it's a good signing but in the bigger scheme of things will this improve us considerably from last season? Not necessarily. We need to get a centre back. We also have to be well organised and prepared because the papers are saying that Leto could still go to Benfica while Simao is also contemplating a move. If they leave will we have replacements lined up?

From a domestic stand-point the one thing that is in PAO's favour is that the teams around us haven't exactly struck fear into our hearts as they prepare for the new season. Olympiakos have signed Epstein (who is a very good youngster and probably has a big future in Greece, but isn't a world beater), Mirallas is another very good young player but has yet to establish himself. Other than that they have signed Modesto from Monaco, a centre-back that was no longer getting in their team. They are also in talks with Ibagaza who is talented and has great technique but he is 33 and has lost alot of pace. They only seem to have improved slightly therefore.

PAOK have lost a manager and Vierinha is reported to want to go now so they will be starting from sqaure one as they attempt to discover a new approach under the new manager. Bajevic has already said that AEK cannot win the league with the current squad as the in-fighting continues there. So if we take care of business properly i expect us to win the league. But if we're really competant in our preperation we really could start a dynasty as Athinaios says

Euro: No offense, You said similar things about Cisse last year......You were nothing but wrong

To get a player whos been a regular with a team like LYON and FRANCE for so many years is impressive, especially when combined with Cisse.

So far our name signings have been solid...... Cisse, Gilberto, Leto have done great. I expect Govou to fall right into that category with them.

Say whatever, hes not scoring etc - hes a great supporting forward, and FAST. I think he'll make a great partner to Cisse.

The World Cup performance is 3 absolutley irrelevant summergames from a broken team that did not deserve nor even want to be at that World Cup.

Whatever he did last year isn't relevant. Hes got a new environment, a new start, strong support from his club and an easier league.

Salpiggidis would never have made that Lyon team. Govou will add even more speed and class up top, and his friendship with Cisse as well as a strong supporting role could be absolutley LETHAL.

But with another big signing-------- it will all be for ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING unless we have a strong back line. Its like buying a beautiful high performance car with the cheapest tires possible....wont go very far.

Euro: No offense, You said similar things about Cisse last year......You were nothing but wrong

To get a player whos been a regular with a team like LYON and FRANCE for so many years is impressive, especially when combined with Cisse.

So far our name signings have been solid...... Cisse, Gilberto, Leto have done great. I expect Govou to fall right into that category with them.

Say whatever, hes not scoring etc - hes a great supporting forward, and FAST. I think he'll make a great partner to Cisse.

The World Cup performance is 3 absolutley irrelevant summergames from a broken team that did not deserve nor even want to be at that World Cup.

Whatever he did last year isn't relevant. Hes got a new environment, a new start, strong support from his club and an easier league.

Salpiggidis would never have made that Lyon team.  Govou will add even more speed and class up top, and his friendship with Cisse as well as a strong supporting role could be absolutley LETHAL.

But with another big signing-------- it will all be for ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING unless we have a strong back line. Its like buying a beautiful high performance car with the cheapest tires possible....wont go very far.

Yes I was wrong and I'm the first to admit when I am. But I have also been right about numerous other things so I am entitled to have an opinion.

Besides, i'm not saying it's a bad saying signing. I'm saying it's a good saying, but i still think we need to spend more money on a centre-back. In fact, that's kinda what I said last year and although Cisse fired us to the league, it was a lack of a solid defence that cost us in Europe (and in the 2 games against Olympiakos).

As for Salpi I have no doubt that he could have been successful abroad. He is a very good player, but clearly people forget the contributions of players way too quickly. Whether a player succeeds at a club or not depends on numerous variables and perhaps Salpi wouldn't have suited Lyon, but i have no doubt that he was/is good enough to play for a club of that level. He'd be alot more suited to Auxerre for instance. Valverde was also rumoured to have been a fan of Salpi's and if he had stayed at Villareal the rumours are that he would have been a target for them. McGleish also clearly stated his admiration for Salpi starting rumours in the UK that he could move to Birmingham, etc. Salpi doesn't have the natural skill of Govou, but he has a level of determination and drive that Govou doesn't. Like i said, how successful one is depends on numerous things, so will Govou be better than Salpi? Possibly. In the Greek league i'd predict yes, in the champions league i'd predict no. But who knows?

The only point i'm making is that Govou is a good signing, but Salpi is a big loss. To really improve we need to add more to the squad, particularly in defence

Novasports is reporting that we are also close to signing Hugo Viana (registered at Valencia but was on loan at Braga). Viana is one of those players that was highly rated as a youngster but never really fulfilled his potential. He's technically gifted and a lovely passer but he really struggles with physicality and can lack consistency. In that respect he's not too different from someone like Enzo Maresca (although Viana never quite reached the heights Maresca did, but he is younger and more attacking in his style).

I'm not too sure where Viana will fit into the team to be honest. If this is just to bloster the squad then it's a very good signing because his through-balls could be vital against well organised teams. But if he's been signed as a key starting player then it could be a risk because it begs the question, who will he replace? This will only add fuel to the rumours that Leto may be on his way to Benfica

Viana is more a CM then a LW

I see him playing next to Gilberto or Simao and I get the feeling that Kats will drop back and play next to the CB we will sign.

Viana is more taking over Kara's Role.

Itll be somethign like this

Vyntra---------CB--------KATS------Spyro

---------------------Gilberto-------------------

-----------------Ninis----Viana---------------

Govou-----------------------------------Leto

-----That guy that scores all the goals----

Viana is more a CM then a LW

I see him playing next to Gilberto or Simao and I get the feeling that Kats will drop back and play next to the CB we will sign.

Viana is more taking over Kara's Role.

Itll be somethign like this

Vyntra---------CB--------KATS------Spyro

---------------------Gilberto-------------------

-----------------Ninis----Viana---------------

Govou-----------------------------------Leto

-----That guy that scores all the goals----

Yeah he is more of a central player than he is a left midfielder, that's what i mean when i say he's kinda like Maresca. They both play in the middle but have also featured on the left during their careers. The have similar talents too. The difference is that Maresca is more defensive though while Viana seems to ignore his defensive duties alot... come to think of it, another player he kinda reminds me of is Tsartas (not that Tsartas and Maresca are even remotely similar in style, but they all have the some of the same basics: good passers, no physicality, good technique but can be also be a little lazy). The reason i assumed he'd play on the left for us is because Leto has been linked with Benfica all summer while I never thought of the fact that Katsouranis will play at centre-back. That does make sense now you point it out.

I hope that isn't what's planned though because I don't like the balance of the team you've posted. We've had problems with our defense all season, the last thing we need is that midfield in front of them. Salpi and Karagounis work hard, while Katsouranis may be lazy but he can put in a tackle when needed. They are all marshalled by Gilberto of course. Whereas with the midfield you've posted we'll get hit on the counter attack for fun. Nioblia himself will probably do more tracking back on the touchline than Leto, Govou and Viana will do. Add to that Ninis who doesn't have the defensive skills or physical to be effective in that respect, and Spyropoulos who always gets forward and we've essentially got a team that's wide open. Gilberto can't do everything on his own. Viana should either be rotated or in for Ninis or Leto depending on who the manager picks, but you can't play them all. Personally I don't think he should be in ahead of anyone there, but he can be an important impact player.

i hope viana is not meant for the starting line up bc that means someone will probably be sold...i dont see where he fits in the line up..we have simao, kats, gilberto, ninis and karagounis in there...where will viana play? i think hes a good player who had a very good season with braga last year but where is he really suppose to fit?

if viana comes i expect either simao or ninis to be sold which is a big mistake in my opinion bc they add freshness and youth into or otherwise old and slow midfield...

I'm not crazy about the Govou signing; I'd prefer someone a bit younger and more "up and coming" as opposed to Govou who apparently has been out of form lately. But, there's a chance things may work out. I think they should leave our midfield alone since we have enough talent and concentrate on defense.

Archived