Phantis Forums

Summer Transfers 2010

pao123

apparently we have signed plessis, a defensive midfielder at liverpool...

i know nioplias wanted a left footed holding midfielder but dont we have enough? gilberto, kats, simao wont do? i hope this doesnt mean simao is leaving, he needs to get more playing time not less!! what about marinos? i hope we still see some of him even with plessis' arrival...

dont we need a defender and a forward?

not what i was expecting...i guess this will mean that we may just see a katsourani-boumsong at cb...

that actually sounds pretty solid to me i guess...gilberto dictating the game, simao winning balls, plessis coming in as a sub...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wats with all the liverpool rejects???????????

lol

another defensive mid? i thought that was our strength

not to mention mattos is on loan in brazil is also a more than capable DM

does anyone know anything about this guy? can he play centre back?

a few bits of news

1. mavrias has signed a new contract till 2013

2. cleyton confirmed to metalurg for 1 season loan. pao takes 300k for this. no mention of option to buy, metalurg will cover his wages upto 350k

http://www.sportdog.gr/v3/article.aspx?id=144077

3. byasmir has said he wanted to stay but needed first team football and this is the reason for him leaving. he also took a pot shot at nioplias saying the only way he would play at pao is if he left.

http://www.sportdog.gr/v3/article.aspx?id=144075

4. damien plessis signs a 3 yr deal with us, and seems like there was no fee or a very little one paid to the pool which is a plus.

seems like he was brought in as cover to an ageing gilberto and also could use kats as centre back.

hes very tall, 190cm, seems like he has a bright future so maybe he may turn out to be some good bit of business

http://www.sport-fm.gr/article/290130

not sure on the details of mantzios and melissis to maritimo but i heard both on loan as well

seems like we have a problem with just selling players.

Plessis? :o My goodness, what is happening with our crappy transfers? Is this because Pateras has moved on and Tzigger is in charge again? Plessis is not PAO standard. He should be at Aris or Larisa, not PAO. What on earth is happening?

Plus, WHERE'S THAT STRIKER? :tdown:

i dont understand the talk of a crappy transfer season for pao..

why exactly are people saying this? bc we havent spent much money??

we had basically an already 'made' team from last year...in the positions we needed, we have upgraded...the players that needed to leave, have left...most of our signing (with the excpetion of 2) were to upgrade our BENCH...

salpi left and was replaced by govou, in my eyes its an upgrade...

boumsong has come and though he may not be a 'killer" is an upgrade...(lets not forget last season we allowed the 3RD least amount of goals in our history)...

galinovic left, fernandes came...upgrade

we signed luis garcia as a substitute that can fill into our attacking midfield and BOTH wing positions...

we signed a promising greek left footed player in ioannidis and discovered a prospective gem to be in mavrias...

and we have picked up a promising 22 yr old plessis, in a position where we are already rich in talent..paidia, at aek larissa or aris this kid was going to be a starter, with us he will be coming off the bench the majority of times...not to mention we are thinking ahead to the departure of gilberto in a yr or twos time..AND this is a position that nioplias has been asking for...

we have let go players that are not qualified to play at the club...galinovic, moon, byarsmyr, gabriel, darlas, rukavina, morris, cleyton not to mention both melissis and manztios..

look at the lineup

tzorvas (fernandes), seitaridis (vyntra/marinos), boumsong (sarriegi) kante (kats/vyntra), spyropoulos (kante/ioannidis), gilberto (plessis), katsouranis (simao/marinos), ninis (karagounis/garcia), govou (garcia), leto (lazaro/garcia), cisse (petropoulos).......

not to mention we have mavrias and dimoutsos as well...looks like an omadara to me paidia...we should get another striker yes, but other than that im satisfied...with a squad this talented and DEEP we can compete in all 3 compeitions....

i dont understand the talk of a crappy transfer season for pao..

why exactly are people saying this? bc we havent spent much money??

we had basically an already 'made' team from last year...in the positions we needed, we have upgraded...the players that needed to leave, have left...most of our signing (with the excpetion of 2) were to upgrade our BENCH...

salpi left and was replaced by govou, in my eyes its an upgrade...

boumsong has come and though he may not be a 'killer" is an upgrade...(lets not forget last season we allowed the 3RD least amount of goals in our history)...

galinovic left, fernandes came...upgrade

we signed luis garcia as a substitute that can fill into our attacking midfield and BOTH wing positions...

we signed a promising greek left footed player in ioannidis and discovered a prospective gem to be in mavrias...

and we have picked up a promising 22 yr old plessis, in a position where we are already rich in talent..paidia, at aek larissa or aris this kid was going to be a starter, with us he will be coming off the bench the majority of times...not to mention we are thinking ahead to the departure of gilberto in a yr or twos time..AND this is a position that nioplias has been asking for...

we have let go players that are not qualified to play at the club...galinovic, moon, byarsmyr, gabriel, darlas, rukavina, morris, cleyton not to mention both melissis and manztios..

look at the lineup

tzorvas (fernandes), seitaridis (vyntra/marinos), boumsong (sarriegi) kante (kats/vyntra), spyropoulos (kante/ioannidis), gilberto (plessis), katsouranis (simao/marinos), ninis (karagounis/garcia), govou (garcia), leto (lazaro/garcia), cisse (petropoulos).......

not to mention we have mavrias and dimoutsos as well...looks like an omadara to me paidia...we should get another striker yes, but other than that im satisfied...with a squad this talented and DEEP we can compete in all 3 compeitions....

I think most people are saying it's been crappy because ultimately we disagree with the idea that that 'we had basically an already 'made' team from last year...in the positions we needed, we have upgraded...the players that needed to leave, have left...most of our signing (with the excpetion of 2) were to upgrade our BENCH...'

Govou for Salpi isn't necessarily an ugrade. I know you obviously disagree but whatever way we portray this the bottom line is that we lost one very good player and leader and signed another very good player. That's not necessarily an upgrade.

Last season we had a terrible defence, just like the year before and the year before that. We were exposed in Europe and we won the league because of two factors and two factos alone. The first was Cisee, without him we would not have one the league. Even this season, he's missed one game and we've drawn it at home to a team that barely survived relegation.

The second factor was that everyone else in the league was weak. PAOK had a decent team but didn't have the budget to build a great squad that would win the league. Olympiakos were abysmal on and off the pitch, not replacing their best players from the season before while having 3 managers over the course of the season. AEK, well they are in such a bad state there's no point in even elaborating. So we did not have a ready made team and Standard Liege proved that. They finished 8th, yes 8th, in the Belgian league and they beat us home and away by destroying our backline.

So what moves have we made to rectify that? We sold Byarsmyr and bought Boumsong. That's obviously an upgrade, but it certainly isn't enough to rectify our defensive problems.

Furthermore Luis Garcia isn't 50% of the player he used to be. I'd have prefered holding on to Rukavina because he has a future. Ok Garcia can also play on the right, but it's certainly not a great move.

Perhaps the biggest potential banana skin however is that we still haven't signed another forward. Cisse is injury prone, we were lucky he was fit last season but what happens if he is out for longer than expected? Or gets inujured again? You think Petropoulos will get the goals?

The aim of a transfer window is to first plug the holes and second to make the team take a significant step forward. In my eyes, as with many PAO fans, it's been a failed transfer period because we haven't done either of those things.

mono grinia akouw...mono grinia

to me govou is an upgrade bc he is actually an out and out winger, where as salpi is not..i think govou is a better player anyway, i think his career shows that...we'll have to see how he performs and then judge what is what. the only thing he misses is salpis heart, which made up for his lack of technical skill and lack of natural ability..

you are only seeing the exterior of why we wont the league...cisse was our end product but you fail to mention the overal performance of the team...for cisse to get the goals, he needed delivery...you fail to mention the performances of leto and spyrpoulos on the left that provided cisse with at least half his goals, not to mention the important of letos and katsournais goals as well...or the performances of gilberto or our teams mentality and consistancy throughout the year....simao or vyntra who had a very very good season...

how can you judge garcia as 50% of the player that he used to be? how can you say he will help the team less than rukavina, who hardly even made the bench last year...

i wouldnt judge our team of last year by two performances against standard either...yes our defense was crap when needed the most but you dont think boumsong will be an upgrade from sarriegi?? and dont count out giourkas' inclusion into the team either...year by year the team needs to improve, adding boumsong isnt an improvement? sobara milame? besides, the team defends together, forming partnerships and cohesion in our defense is important...

on paper i believe with the excpetion of not signing a striker (which i do DEFINITLY agree with you) we have plugged holes in our team and we have taken a step forward...we cant judge the success or FAILURE of our transfers before we see how the team performs...but on paper i think we have definitly beefed up and upgraded the team..

so what would have satifsied you? signing gallas, keeping rukavina instead of signing garcia and getting a striker? because you ask that to 100 different people and youll get 100 different answers...i agree that it could have been better..but it also could have been worst, all and all i think the team will get even better this year..

i didnt see crappy transfers

i said its been an average transfer period for us....very average

we had a grood squad last season and i think we have not added to it nor weakened it....were probably just about the same

whereas if the ppl responsible for such off field matters had done the hard yards since spring we would of developed a great squad capable of competing in europe.

typically i dont like all these loans either but we are probably making more money off their loans then if we were to sell them...

maritimo wouldnt pay even 500.000 for melissis this summer...now if he plays well there this year, it gives us alot of room to negotiate the sale next summer...

the same goes for manztio i believe, moon as well and cleyton...when a player barely features in a full year, its hard to expect to offload them for the right price to any team..especially since our investment in players like melissis and cleyton were rather high... i wouldnt be satisfied if we let go of cleyton for less than 1 million...that to me is not cutting our losses, its a terrible buisness move...the problem with gabriels loan also was that his contract demands were too high for gremio to handle, so we had to deal around alittle to come to an agreement...

i agree in a way though, why put off the inevitable...but then again, maybe thats why we arent football technical director or managers... :D

mono grinia akouw...mono grinia

to me govou is an upgrade bc he is actually an out and out winger, where as salpi is not..i think govou is a better player anyway, i think his career shows that...we'll have to see how he performs and then judge what is what. the only thing he misses is salpis heart, which made up for his lack of technical skill and lack of natural ability..

you are only seeing the exterior of why we wont the league...cisse was our end product but you fail to mention the overal performance of the team...for cisse to get the goals, he needed delivery...you fail to mention the performances of leto and spyrpoulos on the left that provided cisse with at least half his goals, not to mention the important of letos and katsournais goals as well...or the performances of gilberto or our teams mentality and consistancy throughout the year....simao or vyntra who had a very very good season...

how can you judge garcia as 50% of the player that he used to be? how can you say he will help the team less than rukavina, who hardly even made the bench last year...

i wouldnt judge our team of last year by two performances against standard either...yes our defense was crap when needed the most but you dont think boumsong will be an upgrade from sarriegi?? and dont count out giourkas' inclusion into the team either...year by year the team needs to improve, adding boumsong isnt an improvement? sobara milame? besides, the team defends together, forming partnerships and cohesion in our defense is important...

on paper i believe with the excpetion of not signing a striker (which i do DEFINITLY agree with you) we have plugged holes in our team and we have taken a step forward...we cant judge the success or FAILURE of our transfers before we see how the team performs...but on paper i think we have definitly beefed up and upgraded the team..

so what would have satifsied you? signing gallas, keeping rukavina instead of signing garcia and getting a striker? because you ask that to 100 different people and youll get 100 different answers...i agree that it could have been better..but it also could have been worst, all and all i think the team will get even better this year..

govou vs salpi is a difference of opinion. you point to the fact that he's more naturally skilled while i believe you can't undermine the importance of heart by saying "the only thing he misses is salpis heart". So let's wait and see.

I am not merely seeing the exterior. I never once said we are a one man team. I am saying that we are over-reliant on Cisse. If Gilberto gets injured what happens? Simao or Kats step in. If Salpi got injured? Ninis would move to the right, etc. What happens if Cisse gets injured, who would have come in? Petroppoulos, Mantzios or Rukavina. None of whom could have filled his void and if he was injured for a while, say 4+ weeks we'd have lost the league because of it. Since then Rukavina and Mantzios have left, so we've weakened in this position. Unless of course you believe that Luis Garcia (a player that is naturally a midfielder and has scored merely 2 goals since leaving Liverpool 3 years ago) can fill the goal scoring void? So this is an area that we have weakened in from the perspective of depth.

I don't think I judging our defence by 2 games alone, they were also shockingly bad against Galatasary, Sturm Graz and Olympiakos. Hence they were poor against every decent attacking team we played. Yes Boumsong is an upgrade over Sarriegui, but so what? This isn't Football Manager. The real question is, is he enough of an upgrade to take the team to the next level? Let's say that on a scale of 100 a good defence for a Champions League team is 80, last season our defence was at 45. By signing Boumsong we've gone to 55. Is it enough? We had to do more and we failed to do so, again!

Yes I wanted Gallas or an equivalent level defender and I really don't think that's too much to ask. On top of that I want a goalscoring striker, like Suazo. As for Rukavina, ultimately i don't care that he's gone, I'm not saying he was important, he wasn't. But he did have talent and youth on his side. Garcia's career is on the down-turn. Rukavina could also play up front, Garcia cannot do that effectively. So Cisse's void is further magnified. Therefore, no I don't believe this transfer period could have been worse. By being realistic, and not just saying, "we could have lost everyone and not signed anyone else" i don't see how this could have been worse. We missed out on numerous targets (about 5 before settling for Boumsong and Nioblias even said he wasn't a killer and wasn't his first choice, hardly a ringing endorsement!). We have also become even more over-reliant on Cisse. The only areas we have seen significant improvements are the sub goalkeeper position (hardly a priority) and yes Boumsong is an upgrade over Sarriegui indivially speaking but not good enough to help the defence as a whole improve significantly at the highest level.

when we win the double again this year everyone will be changing their tune...:whistle:

:D

i guess we just have to agree to disagree...

i think its important to also look on the bright side though file...we should consider the fact that despite heavy interest for our stars, we have kept our team in tact...something pao does not have a history of doing.. ninis, leto, simao, cisse, gilberto....by doing this we already have an upper hand...the longer a SUCCESSFUL team stays in tact (last year proves we are and can be successful and have the capabilities to continue) the more we tie together and the better we become AS A WHOLE...

we could have signed gallas, benzema, van der vaart and fabregas but acouple months together usually does not make them a good team....we will see this at olympiakos this year...i guarentee it will take them at least halfway through the season to start to click, whereas we have been building it up for over a year...

as far as the striker issue..i agree with you!!! that will bite us in the ass, you dont have to try to convince me!!! i hope we bring someone as a free agent bc i had a feeling during the summer that cisse would not stay as fit as he did last year...

besides, whos to say boumsong wont fit into the team better than gallas would have, or cris? whos to stay garcia wont turn into a magic signing or plessis will eventualy succesfully cover for gilberto..i remember when we first signed warzycha everyone was saying "who the f is this? thats our best solution as a striker, he will be gone in a year" ktl ktl... but he clicked with the team and then look what happend...i think we are BOTH jumping the gun here, and should have this discussion after acouple months because im sure our opinions of certain players, will surely change :D

Guys, in my opinion we have the best roster now than we've had in over a decade. We may disagree about 1 or 2 players, but overall the club looks strong. We have good players on the bench that would have been starters not so long ago in our club.

I'm hoping for the league title (obviously) and through the group stages of the CL. And, of course, I'm looking forward to watching some great football.

I agree that it's the strongest roster we've had in 10 years, but then again we have been absolutely terrible for about 8 of those years. We have to look at this on a year by year basis. Let's wait and see, i'm hoping for the best. I'll only consider this a successful season if we win the league and make it to at least the last 16 of the Champions League.

when we win the double again this year everyone will be changing their tune...:whistle:

i think its important to also look on the bright side though file...we should consider the fact that despite heavy interest for our stars, we have kept our team in tact...something pao does not have a history of doing.. ninis, leto, simao, cisse, gilberto....by doing this we already have an upper hand...the longer a SUCCESSFUL team stays in tact (last year proves we are and can be successful and have the capabilities to continue) the more we tie together and the better we become AS A WHOLE...

we could have signed gallas, benzema, van der vaart and fabregas but acouple months together usually does not make them a good team....we will see this at olympiakos this year...i guarentee it will take them at least halfway through the season to start to click, whereas we have been building it up for over a year...

as far as the striker issue..i agree with you!!! that will bite us in the ass, you dont have to try to convince me!!! i hope we bring someone as a free agent bc i had a feeling during the summer that cisse would not stay as fit as he did last year...

besides, whos to say boumsong wont fit into the team better than gallas would have, or cris? whos to stay garcia wont turn into a magic signing or plessis will eventualy succesfully cover for gilberto..i remember when we first signed warzycha everyone was saying "who the f is this? thats our best solution as a striker, he will be gone in a year" ktl ktl... but he clicked with the team and then look what happend...i think we are BOTH jumping the gun here, and should have this discussion after acouple months because im sure our opinions of certain players, will surely change :D

I have to agree and I don't think there's much room for argument regarding the signings this summer. They didn't sell any of our key guys and they got some decent talent. Yeah we need a goal scorer - Cisse can come through but he's limited. Other than that...I would get at least one more defender.

Hell YEAH we disagree here budy.Forget doubles this year..... :box: :box: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :tup: :tup:

Transfer wise i think it was an OK period for Pao but if i was Tzigger i would have gotten Gallas+ another striker and that way to be able to say to the Pao fans and media:How you like me now???

Now Pao still looks lovely but CL-SL-Greek Cup-NT back to back games with no or minimum injuries is what will make the difference in making or breaking the year for you guys.

Plessis? :o My goodness, what is happening with our crappy transfers? Is this because Pateras has moved on and Tzigger is in charge again? Plessis is not PAO standard. He should be at Aris or Larisa, not PAO. What on earth is happening?

Plus, WHERE'S THAT STRIKER? :tdown:

thats what I thought. We've really got no business signing a reserve player for Liverpool.....Hes barely played any matches.....in his life.....

Have to say though that AEL is a lot less standard than Aris btw....

I think Luis Garcia and Plessis were pointless, stupid signings.

We needed a back up striker, and another center back.

I really don't think anything was great in transfers this season. Govou was a good replacement for Salpiggidis. Ioannidis is a good signing because Spyropoulos is starting to be past his best football (hes not old, but has that ever mattered remember Dimitris Papadopoulos) and hes not growing with the club. Hopefully Ioannidis can be the player to grow into the LB.

Boumsong was our best signing as we needed the CB.

We have a strong team but we've still got holes. I'm not convinced well make it out of the CL group stages to be honest I dont see it happening this year.

Archived