Phantis Forums

Half Over

pao123

so the season is now halfway over and its time we give a little report about the team..ive compiled all of our scores and assists from the whole year..here they are.

cisse is our leading scorer with 11 goals in the league and 2 in europe tallying him at 13

katsouranis is next with 8 goals in the league and 2 in europe taking him to 10

salpi is next with only 1 goal in the league but with four in europe equaling 5

leto has 3 in the league and 1 in europe=4

vyntra has 3 league goals

rukavina has 2 goals in the cup and 1 in europe =3

ninis has 1 in the league and 1 in the cup =2

xristodoulopoulos has 1 in the league

sarriegi and karagounis each have one a piece in europe

equaling a total of 29 league goals (one autogol) 12 goals in europe and 3 cup goals..so we have scored a total of 44 goals so far...next to assists...

salpi, karagounis and cisse are leading in assists with 5..salpi has 3 in the league and 2 in europe, karagounis has the opposite and cisse has four in the league and 1 in europe

katsouranis has 4 in the league

ninis has 3 in the league and 1 in the cup =4

leto has 1 in the league and 2 in europe =3

xristodoulopoulos has 2 in the league

rukavina has 1 in the league and 1 in europe=2

gilberto, gabriel and kante each have 1 in the league

and spyropoulos has 1 in europe

that equals 23 in the league, 1 in the cup and 10 in europe equaling a total of 34 assists to 44 total goals..

what does everyone think of these stats or just this season in general?

Thanks for those stats pao123. I think Cisse is doing his best and I wouldn't expect anything more; he has his drawbacks like most players and he's not "phenomenal." But he's coming through. Good to see Xristo and Ruka get playing time again since I think they can deliver. The team really seemed to have an "awakening" since Nioplias took over, and its a relief since they were playing poorly for most of this season. I am looking forward to great football, Roma and the rest of the year. Merry Christmas!

• 2 weeks later...

Good work PAO123! thanks for posting this.

One thing that the stats show is that our summer signings have been huge contributors. I know that knocking everyone, and especially the coach and the football manager is in fashion with green fans, but we should be able to give credit where is due. Antoniou did a good job signing players that would make the team more effective offensively.

We are first, we have the best offense, and we boast two of the top 3 goal scorers in the league.

Defensively we are not all that bad either given the fact that our defensive signings haven't shown up yet for one reason or another (Bjarsmyr, Katne, Darlas, Seitaridis, Marinos), and given that our midfielders are not all concerned with defending (compare our 2 or 3 midfielder play today to the previous formations where just about every midfielder was primarily concerned with getting behind the ball).

There are many positives from this half:

the new signings have been huge: Cisse/Katsouranis/Leto :nw:

two academy products contributing: Tzorvas/Ninis :nw:

Gilberto/Vintra playing their best :nw:

we are not out of contention since November like we've been every year :tup:

and some negatives:

Lost every game against strong teams (Atletico, Galatasaray, Olympiakos) :angry:

Could not put the league away when Olympiakos tied in Giannina and we could not beat Asteras at home. :(

Have not scored another 10 goals (now I am being greedy) :box:

Here is our season in a nifty chart that makes it all visually decipherable (if the images don't show up you can find them at http://panathinaikosfan.blogspot.com/2009/...-in-review.html )

Posted Image

Also, here is my chart with the player stats:

Posted Image

(the value column is my own formula for calculating player contributions. It takes into account minutes played, goals, assists, penalties and player age. If you don't like it, ignore it or make your own :P . It's not perfect because it doesn't show Gilberto's amazing contribution which can't be quantified.

Also of some interest to me at least is the goal production by minute:

Posted Image

This is the second year in a row when our offensive production is best roughly from 65 to 80th minute, and the second year in a row when our defense concedes virtually nothing from 65 onward.

Now, I was thinking about it. Why is that ? Superior conditioning is one obvious reason. We've been able to outrun every team in this league (the three goals we conceded after 65 are all in europe). I also believe this kind of pattern is indicative of Ten Cate's tactical adjustments. It seems like the team was able to score after his substitutes and internal adjustments that came usually between 60 and 65'. Of course it could be just a random pattern, but you must be a complete Ten Cate hater to attribute this pattern to luck.

Overall, we've done well.

Happy New Year everyone!

Added: grrrrr my images don't show up. I'll try to uploade them to a different server - standby... ok it should be working now.

Nice job, Cyber.

I noticed that my heart attacks have a reason... PAO scores late in the game. They should start scoring earlier! :LOL: But, yes, I understand about the conditioning so the team can outrun the opponents. On the other hand, we still need to put lesser teams away sooner in the game so everyone can enjoy it more.

The other important thing is that PAO has lost all the games against strong(er) teams. That's no good.

Everybody keeps saying that the derbies won't be decisive for the title. Yet, had we won in Karaiskaki, PAO would have been 8 points clear right now, despite the tie with Asteras! ;)

Archived