Phantis Forums

PA0 - Asteras

athinaios

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I wasn't watching the game on the plane because I'd have kicked the seat infront of me several times... :P Such game would make me scream too. :angry:

This is not what I expected. What a great opportunity to put some nice distance between us and gavroi. :angry: wasted.

Anyway, if the team beats our main (only) competitors this year all will be fine, but we don't have the killer instinct yet.

As for Tzorvas, it's clear that his weakness (big one) is coming out of his position when the ball is high.

TKate is an OK coach; not great, not horrible, just an average material. He may retire at the end of this season when his contract expires and PAO wins the title. :P

On the other hand, Ninis and especially Vyntra were fouled in the box. This could have been easily 3-1 or 5-1 if a couple opportunities that can't be missed actually counted. Damn it.

Anyway, we know what we have to do next Sunday.

PS>When I started this thread, I said that PAO does NOT do well after a break.

Why do they even hire these old players to comment on the games. I am watching total superleague and Zhkos said the result of the game was fair because Asteras played to score and didn't close themselves in the back. :o That's after they finished showing the highlights where Panathinaikos had over clear five chances to score, where at least one penalty was not awarded (Vintra's penalty would be seen even by blind referees), and where Asteras barely can count one chance, the one they scored from the Tzorvas error.

He also said Panathinaikos didn't play well and that the team didn't have a plan. I guess just because they played the game doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.

Yeah, I've seen it in other areas too. Some people have a talent in one area (like playing the sport) but it doesn't mean they can coach, manage, or otherwise read the play from the sidelines.

Also, Cyber, where was Gilberto? ;) Any connection to the result?

Also, Cyber, where was Gilberto? ;)  Any connection to the result?

Yep, it's becoming like a clockwork. Gilberto is out and we have trouble one way or another. He could not help that he had a family emergency but Karagounis should have taken his spot on the bench instead of Darlas.

He could have rested just as much on the bench and I bet he would have been a lot more useful than Christodoulopoulos in the last twenty minutes.

Five mistakes cost us the two points:

1- leaving Karagounis out of the 18 man squad

2- Tzorvas' aerial pirouette

3- Roukavina's bad aim

4- Petropoulos' bad aim

5- The ref's no call on the Vintra penatly

It was harsh but the rule clearly says if u kick the ball out of play in disagreement of cal or in protest, its a yellow card...

Instead of complainign about therefs.. I want to say Im proud of how we played especially in the 2nd half after gin down 0-1.

We missed tons of chances and won a penalty which was clear and cut.. The textbook def of a penalty..

Thats ok... we dont want the ''help'' of the refs... especially if they have to make the RIGHT call.. Let Oly win their phantom penalties..

Ruka's shot wasnt deflected to what i saw, it was simply pathetic even if it was. thats not the first time I've seen that from him.

He gets a 4 for missing an embarassingly easy chance alone. I thought Katsouranis had the assist too.

Petropoulos' miss was not anywhere as bad. He also played less, and CM style I give around a 6 for players that hardly play enough to show. anything.

Anyways, wasted match.

I do see a bright spot though. We are in mid-november and we are two points ahead.

We just tied Asteras at home and the general feeling from the fans is not overall bitchy like in previous years. I think it's because despite the draw, everyone sees the improved game and the effort by the team. It wasn't our best game, but we played a pretty fluid football at times moving in midfield.

Now that I calmed down a bit, I can look at the individual game.

If we step back and look at the wider perspective I would say that our defensive play has improved dramatically from last year and even from the beginning of the season.

Our midfield play has been excellent and is getting better with each game. We pass the ball around at will and everyone seems to be moving is space constantly finding open spots and asking for the ball. There were times when we circulated the ball from the left to the right touch line and we have good variety in our game.

There are several things we need to be improving (and I can see us getting better). The transition from the fluid midfield game to the final pass/cross is erratic, resulting in low percentage shots and headers. We had 22 efforts on goal against Asteras and they only had 2 I think. Out of these 22 at least 4 or 5 were high percentage plays that for some reason didn't end up in the net. Off the top of my head (in order of high percentage shot) I remember

Petropoulos' tete-a-tete shot wide

Salpigidis' header from three meters blocked

Roukavina's shot all alone wide (I think it hit an opponent on it's way out)

Katsouranis' shot all alone from the edge of the box - too soft and right at the goalkeeper

Sariegi's header on the crossbar

Vintra's penalty not called

Ninis' penalty not called (I don't buy that he fouled at the beginning. Both players used their hands for position and the Asteras player blatantly pushed and tripped him from the back once Ninis slipped in front).

I am sure if I watch the game again I'll find a few more, but this is way more chances than we are used to having.

Mind you, we really picked up and had most our chances after Asteras scored and after the ejection, but even before that Asteras didn't do much beyond defending. Their only chances came on a Tsezarek shot wide when he broke the offside trap, one errant header on a corner, and one goal from a keeper error and rebound on a soft arching freekick from 40 meters. How this defensive display became a valiant effort to play ball and not "close themselves on defense" that Zhkos claimed on his analysis boggles the mind. How Zhkos didn't see anything good in our game or how he didn't see a plan is more testament to his own low understanding of the game and mostly bias.

I am proud that our fans are sticking by the team and I hope this continues whatever happens in Karaiskaki. If the fans remain in support behind the club this title is ours.

Ruka shot was deflected out for a corner by the diving defender....

Ruka gave the assist....

Petro missed an easy shot with no one in front of him..

All I am sayign is that your rating system has to do with who you liek and not how they played...

How can a player that made the assist and missed a good chance get such a low rating where petro missed an easier chance with no deflection and gets a higher ratign then most players on the pitch

No Logic... whatsoever...

The name christodoulopoulos is quite a handful, but ever since signing with us, i find his name rolls of my tongue very easily, considering i call him sh ithead all the time.

I cannot believe someone can be so untalented, and overated, that even he believes he is the francesco totti of greece.

He is a joke and yia ftisimo..i have had enough of this pathetic little player.

He even had the gall to blame the lack of movement up front, for kicking a bullet pass behind gabriel, from a distance of 3 metres...

I have never criticised a player as severely has him, but im sorry he makes bledar kola look like baggio....

tear up his contract now...cut the losses early, as he will never ever ever ever perform to a pao worthy level.

id take xenofon gittas over him any day.....

i apologise for the rant its totally out of character, but thats what sh itheads do to you..

In the whole scheme of things we forgot to comment on Petropoulos' beautiful move to get himself face to face with the keeper. He received the ball with his back to the goal right on the penalty box and he turned so quickly the defender looked dumbfounded. I am still not sure if he dribbled or if he won the "contra" but he was in complete control the entire time. The only thing he messed up was his finish which wasn't bad in itself (he leaned and aimed nicely for the near post), and had he scored we would be marveling at his skill.

He is still young and inexperienced, but he has showed some flashes of brilliance in just about every game he has played. I know Cisse said he prefers to play alone up front, but I wonder how it would be with both Cisse and Petropoulos in some of these games against easier teams.

Archived