Greece - Ukraine

dark_horse

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From FIFA.com

Rivals repeat

Greece-Ukraine

Both Greece and Ukraine are no strangers to FIFA World Cup qualification playoffs. Ukraine have been in that setting in 1997 and 2001, failing at both attempts. Greece last made a playoff in 1938, but also failed to progress. The last time these two sides met, Ukraine edged out Greece 1-0 during Germany 2006 qualification. Ukraine went on to qualify, while Greece were left at home. Most observers are tipping this match to be very evenly split. Choose wisely, the 60 odd points on offer could prove crucial.

Last FIFA World Cup qualifying meeting: Greece 0-1 Ukraine (Piraeus, 8 June 2005)

FIFA World Cup qualifying head-to-head record: Played (2), Ukraine (1), Greece (0), Draws (1)

Group 6 - Play-off for WC 1938

25 March 1938 Hungary-Greece 11:1 (7:1)

Group Play-offs for WC 1998

29 October 1997 Croatia-Ukraine 2:0 (1:0)

15 November 1997 Ukraine-Croatia 1:1 (1:1)

Group Play-offs for WC 2002

10 November 2001 Ukraine-Germany 1:1 (1:1)

14 November 2001 Germany-Ukraine 4:1 (3:0)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(From contra.gr)

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's played mostly lousy football for the past 5 years. He's not essential to the team and is like a shadow of his 2004 self.

I doubt that's the reason because he was called up to the last 2 games. It may be because of the bust-up he had with Karagounis at half time during the Latvia game. After all we know Otto doesnt tolerate m*****es

Full Squad:

Goalkeepers: Costas Halkias (PAOK Salonica), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Michael Sifakis (Aris Salonica)

Defenders: Lukas Vyntra, Nikos Spyropoulos (Panathinaikos), Vangelis Moras (Bologna),Avraam Papadopoulos,Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiacos), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis, Giorgos Karagounis, Alexandros Tziolis and Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens), Vasilis Pliatsikas (Schalke 04)

Forwards: Dimitris Salpingidis (Panathinaikos), Fanis Gekas (Bayer Leverkusen), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiacos), Vasilis Koutsianikoulis (PAOK), Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg)

WE ARE DONE......2-1 LOSS IN GREECE: 3-0 LOSS IN UKRAINE SORRY GUYS JUST BEING REALISTIC BUT I AM KEEPING THE FAITH !!!!! IF TOROSIDI PLAYS AND HARISTEA SITS UNTIL THE 90TH MINUTES ADD A HALF A GOAL TO GREECE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM

WE ARE DONE......2-1 LOSS IN GREECE: 3-0 LOSS IN UKRAINE SORRY GUYS JUST BEING REALISTIC BUT I AM KEEPING THE FAITH !!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVVVRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMM

I don't think Ukraine is THAT good.

Who's going to score in this 3 nill away match? Voronin? :LOL:

Anyway, they too have been known to park the big yellow bus in front of their goal so don't expect too many goals.

If they were a top side they would have put Croatia away like England did.

no confidence in this team for a big game agaisnt a decent opponent.....

it pains me to say it, but i am being realistic.......and, i will be MORE than HAPPY to eat my words if the results go the other way.....no problem....

besides our defense SUCKS.....its called the AVRAMOMETER - if he plays it tells you all you need to know about the quality of our defense....

its not that ukraine is THAT good, its that they are good, not great, but we are not that good...look at our qualifieirs...look at theirs....u mean to tell me those results give u confidence? c'mon, a fan is a fan, and i bleed blue and white, but face it we are not qualifying......just enjoy the game.....i have my rubber brick i throw it everytime haristea trips over the chalk line or ........dont get me started....

it pains me to say it, but i am being realistic.......and, i will be MORE than HAPPY to eat my words if the results go the other way.....no problem....

besides our defense SUCKS.....its called the AVRAMOMETER - if he plays it tells you all you need to know about the quality of our defense....

its not that ukraine is THAT good, its that they are good, not great, but we are not that good...look at our qualifieirs...look at theirs....u mean to tell me those results give u confidence? c'mon, a fan is a fan, and i bleed blue and white, but face it we are not qualifying......just enjoy the game.....i have my rubber brick i throw it everytime haristea trips over the chalk line or ........dont get me started....

Yeah I have to admit that I don't disagree with you and you were one of the guys who pointed out to me how bad Avraam really is, it's just that I don't think ukraine is that good.

I mean England annihilated a team like Croatia (not once but twice) which is no better than us in all fairness (hype aside) but Ukraine just snuck past them.

Ukraine is at our level (that is...pretty medicore and sucky).

I don't expect we'll beat them. I've been a long time critic of Otto and his selection policy and tactics, but I just want to put it into perspective against the Ukes.

i will be very proud of the guys if they pull this off....but they are not playing well as a unit...in my opinion their best chance is to play wide open, offensively and loose using samara/gekas/salp up fornt pushing deniro, kastourani. toro, forward box to box and hope we surprise ukraine with a style they have never seen us play - and hoping their counter is not effective......but that wont happen, they will play tight, scared, no confidence and not-to-lose......

THEY DONT PLAY TO WIN, THEY PLAY NOT TO LOSE........BIG BIG DIFFERENCE.

THIS is sqauarelty ottos fsult for not changing the side earlier, creating an identity and a style tha they can execute effectively...

just the way i see it...if they go through it will definately br much deserved because i think they are huge underdogs here....and i ont care what the experts are saying....

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he's played mostly lousy football for the past 5 years. He's not essential to the team and is like a shadow of his 2004 self.

Why do you bother posting when you've obviously got no idea. How many games have you watched Giourkas actually play since 04? Sit down.

FYI - Giourkas is out injured, major blow.

I love this bloke!! Calls it like it is.

Avraam is f*cking disgusting!

For me Moras and Kyrgiakos are not much better!

All we need is Tsorvas in goal and then we are really F*CKED! With Giourkas out

1. Sifakis

3. Spyropoulos

4. Good luck finding someone!

5. Papastathopoulos

2. Torosidis

i hope this is not "how it is"....but i see no evidence to suggest anything else....unless the team has another gear they can slip into when the situation requires it, (which i have not seen) both teams performance in their qualifiers are the best evidence and predictor of future matches between them......

but.....still keeping the faith.....

Since 04 - compared to Avraam, Moras, Kyrgiakos, Antzas, Vyntra, Goumas - Giourkas has been God like!

Happy to watch any game you recommend that proves me wrong. Just watch the last two qualifiers - he was playing without a club and was one of our best.

That's ridiculous. Kyrgiakos was an absolute rock in the qualifiers of Euro 2004, not to mention the top scorer! Antzas I thought was crap, but his performance in Turkey was top class. Seitaridis' last good game for Greece was at home to Norway in the qualifiers for Euro 2008.

I'm still having nightmares about that 2006 WCQ game v Ukraine in Greece... how we played so well but conceded a cheap goal towards the end... I felt sick when they scored that goal. That doesn't have that much relevance to this thread, just thought I'd say it lol.

I'll be up at 5am to watch the game, go Greece!

Since 04 - compared to Avraam, Moras, Kyrgiakos, Antzas, Vyntra, Goumas - Giourkas has been God like!

Happy to watch any game you recommend that proves me wrong. Just watch the last two qualifiers - he was playing without a club and was one of our best.

i'm gutted by his absence, i was hoping to see toro in midfield but looks as though he'll play right back. a huge loss for us.

i'd love to see this line up but i think i'm asking for too much

sifakis; torosidis papastathopoulos kyrgiakos spyropoulos; ninis katsouranis pliatsikas karagounis; samaras gekas :gr:

great to see mitroglou get a call up

good lineup but these guys have not had a chance to gell together......may if they had playin together for several matches they could generate some more firepower....

at this level split seconds count, off the ball tactics and team awareness needs time to become automatic.....you think then its too late.....

i'm gutted by his absence, i was hoping to see toro in midfield but looks as though he'll play right back. a huge loss for us.

i'd love to see this line up but i think i'm asking for too much

sifakis; torosidis papastathopoulos kyrgiakos spyropoulos; ninis katsouranis pliatsikas karagounis; samaras gekas :gr:

great to see mitroglou get a call up

Yes nice lineup...BUT Otto will roll out..

Sifakis , Vyntra,Moras,Soto,Spyropoulos,Karagounis,Katsouranis,Pliatsakas,Samaras,and YES his boy Charisteas ...laugh now but just WATCH.

With our patchwork backline I would play an extremely cautious game....1-0 and shoot for an away goal.

Sifakis

Sokrates,Moras,Soto,Spyropoulos

...............Katsouranis...............

Salpi,Makos,Karagounis,Samaras

...............Gekas...................

Katsouranis will have to play his best soccer if we want to pass he will have to cover alot of pitch.

putting haristea in raises the white flag....he is only good for late defensive replacement...when he is in from teh start the whle blance / chemistry of the offense changes dramatically.....

samara/gekas/salpi up front...

we neeed to do to ukraine what sweden did to us in the euro, namely give them a whole different look...they know us as a tight, countering, team..they are preparing for that as we have not played each other in a while...problem is we are not good enough in the defense to play the style that we did in '06 against them (1-0 loos at home) so, i think we need to go forward much more, get teh mids to comit to box to box play and give samara- salpi some freedom to GO....this will also release gekas, who may be a goal scoere but needs good play behind him to get the opportunities....

basically we are forcing ukriane to paly countering ball, and if the make the perfect pass, or the perfect run, then so be it...but its not what they are expecting and not what htey are preparing for....i really think we throw them off big time if we go all out TO WIN (not playig "not to lose"), and force THEM to adapt on the fly......remember how awkward we looked against sweden when the modified their apporach to us? i think ukraine will also be thrwon off if we push it....look we can always revert back to a more defensive style if we see that its not prodcuing the desired effect.....

sorry euro...i normally agree with most of yur pints, but with this one i have to 100% unequivocally disagree.....

haristea has two left feet....he cant dribble at all, cant create anythign on his own, cant pass - aerially sure, but if they dont feed him a perfect header HE IS RELATIVELY USELESS....and when you put him in you are committed to a whole different offensive scheme - good ole donkey ball - which we cant play as well as we did in 04 and we saw what the results were after that with him in there.....

samara creates, and with a three pronged attack (him, gekas, salpi) you get much more movement off the ball since and that can put more pressure on the other teams defense.....

you gotta love the guy (haristea) but his time is done as a started and focal point....just the way i see it

Archived