Phantis Forums

Greece - Ukraine

dark_horse

Fill that sucker to the top and go for broke bring your flares flags scarves and your voices

I know we can fill it and create a crazy atmosphere the game between greece and danemark stands out were when we scored the game was delayed because of too much smoke from all around the stadium flares and thrown on the pitch got goosebumps banners and flags every corner.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think you guys are deluded if you think there will be a great atmosphere at this game, but we'll see.

Does anyone have any info on tickets for this game anyway? Are they available yet? And if so does anyone know where the "hardcore" Greek fans sit in OAKA for the NT games? (I know gate 13 sit behind the goal for PAO's games but where do the hardcore sit for the Greece games, if they even exist?)

http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-SwineFl...lBrandChannel=0

Excerpt on the H1N1 outbreak in Ukraine:

She said Ukraine was in touch with international football authorities to discuss whether the measures would have any effect on two international fixtures scheduled for November.

Ukraine is scheduled to host a UEFA Champions' League soccer clash between Dynamo Kiev and Inter Milan on November 4 and a World Cup qualifying play-off between Ukraine and Greece on November 18.

"We are considering (imposing) a quarantine not only in the west but also across the country, because the virus is spreading very fast," Health Minister Vasyl Knyazevych told reporters.

This Canadian site will show both matches (the Nov. 14 Greece-Ukraine match and the Nov. 18 Ukraine-Greece match).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009...d-cup-euro.html

I'm assuming you have to be in Canada to watch the matches online...

In his place will stand a centre half who struggled even to make an impact at Rangers - the distinctly unimpressive Sotirios Kyrgiakos - alongside Agger, assuming he makes it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...l#ixzz0VuAAYKPd

Are they for real? :D Distinctly unimpressive? I don't agree at all but it seems like some English guy has to break down a Greek player just because he wasn't brought in for a huge sum of money. Kyrgiakos is class although I know some here absolutely don't agree. Let's just wait and see what he does tonight before calling him a tragedy!

Interim national team ranking out

UEFA has published an interim national team coefficient ranking following the end of the FIFA World Cup qualifying group stage this week. The coefficients are relevant for the pot allocation to be used during the UEFA EURO 2012™ qualifying draw that will take place in Warsaw on 7 February 2010.

November play-offs

The final rankings will be known after the completion of November's FIFA World Cup qualifying play-offs that will decide the remaining European teams to take part in next summer's final round.

New system

The UEFA Executive Committee approved a new system for calculating the UEFA national team coefficients in May 2008. The new system reflects better the real strength of each national team, as it now also takes into account matches played in UEFA EURO and World Cup final tournaments, and not only games played in the qualifying competitions.

Click here to see the intermediate ranking. We are placed 10th at the moment.

Source and more.

Looks like Sotirios Kyrgiakos is going to be fit. What a shame!!!

Even the English Press have started referring to him as the 'Greek tragedy'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...fa-Benitez.html

It didn't take long.

OTTO!!!!!! Pls don't select this clown!

Kyrgiakos, Avraam, Moras, Tzorvas - OUT!!!!!

Hahaha, that's laughable. Go to the Kyrgiakos board and see the ratings goal.com have given him. He's been Liverpool's better defender in every game he's played. Skrtel and Carragher have been Liverpool's "tragedies" this season but the British press are reluctant to rip into one of their boys. Trust me, I've seen every one of the 4 games he's played in and he certainly hasn't been a tragedy.

He's hands down the best centre-back Greece has.

papastathopoulos is better, his passing is better he's more comfortable on the ball he's quicker he creates alot for genoa bombing forword and linking up play with more offensive players and he's also not as rash as kyrgiakos. the ideal partnership for greece at central defence is these 2

papastathopoulos is better, his passing is better he's more comfortable on the ball he's quicker he creates alot for genoa bombing forword and linking up play with more offensive players and he's also not as rash as kyrgiakos. the ideal partnership for greece at central defence is these 2

Papastathopoulos is a talent but he still has an awful lot of developing to do. Defensively he's not that great and he's part of a team that really reflects him individually: very good going forward, not great defensively.

Euro2004, Genome,

I'm sorry but Sotiris Kyriakos is the worst Greek defender of all time.

I've posted this numerous times. He boarders on disgraceful. He reminds me a lot of the defenders that played in the World Cup in 94. Would have looked good in the 70' and 80's - slide tackling, ball watching freak!!

Greece won Euro 04 because Dellas was absolute class and Kyriakos was injured at the time...FACT!!!!!

Did you not see his disgusting performance in Euro 08 against Sweden??? Please don't try and justify it - just watch. To save you time forward to 4:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiTck6K-os

Here is a player who got caught out playing for the foul instead of trying to win the ball which directly led to Sweden's second goal. He then feigned injury trying to cover up his f*ck up.

He was also partly at fault for the first goal by ball watching the 1-2

He's hands down the best centre-back Greece has my arse!!!

Watch the game against Israel, we're up one-nil and what has this guy done... created 3 chances for Israel by unnecessarily slide tackling every blade of grass, missing everytime. He's made Ben Sahar look world class.

All he does is slide tackle. While all world class centre backs in 2009 know you should always stay on your feet....this prick just slide tackles...nothing more.

Unless you can provide me with evidence that he is quality defender (don't waste your time) I rest my case.

We need to tighten up our defense.

GK - Sifakis

RB - Giourkas

CD - Papastathopoulos

CD - ?

LB - Spyropoulos

Torosidis should play in the mid.

Just for the record, Avraam and Moras are just as s%$#!.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! YES!!!! HE DID IT!!!!

CHECK IT OUT -

http://goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?ID=33797&Ln=En

Sotiris Kyriakos with the unnecessary slide tackle and bingo Liverpool cop a late equalizer

What did i tell you????

HAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHA - F*CKIN Yifto!!!

BRING BACK DELLAS - Kyriakos made this legend look bad

OH HOLD ON - I JUST FOUND THIS

http://www.epltalk.com/lyon-1-1-liverpool-...-the-reds/12638

"But while the Reds battled as hard as they could with what they had, they came undone by a horrible defensive error near the end of the game when Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos fell down in the box and let Lisandro Lopez knock the ball past Reina and into the goal.

Kyrgiakos

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! YES!!!! HE DID IT!!!!

CHECK IT OUT -

http://goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp?ID=33797&Ln=En

Sotiris Kyriakos with the unnecessary slide tackle and bingo Liverpool cop a late equalizer

What did i tell you????

HAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHA - F*CKIN Yifto!!!

BRING BACK DELLAS - Kyriakos made this legend look bad

OH HOLD ON - I JUST FOUND THIS

http://www.epltalk.com/lyon-1-1-liverpool-...-the-reds/12638

"But while the Reds battled as hard as they could with what they had, they came undone by a horrible defensive error near the end of the game when Greek defender Sotirios Kyrgiakos fell down in the box and let Lisandro Lopez knock the ball past Reina and into the goal.

Kyrgiakos

Interim national team ranking out

UEFA has published an interim national team coefficient ranking following the end of the FIFA World Cup qualifying group stage this week. The coefficients are relevant for the pot allocation to be used during the UEFA EURO 2012™ qualifying draw that will take place in Warsaw on 7 February 2010.

November play-offs

The final rankings will be known after the completion of November's FIFA World Cup qualifying play-offs that will decide the remaining European teams to take part in next summer's final round.

New system

The UEFA Executive Committee approved a new system for calculating the UEFA national team coefficients in May 2008. The new system reflects better the real strength of each national team, as it now also takes into account matches played in UEFA EURO and World Cup final tournaments, and not only games played in the qualifying competitions.

Click here to see the intermediate ranking. We are placed 10th at the moment.

Source and more.

Current WC seedingsl

I think if Portugal, France, and Russia are eliminated and Greece qualifies then they would in Pot 1, I think.

Euro2004, Genome,

I'm sorry but Sotiris Kyriakos is the worst Greek defender of all time.

I've posted this numerous times. He boarders on disgraceful. He reminds me a lot of the defenders that played in the World Cup in 94. Would have looked good in the 70' and 80's - slide tackling, ball watching freak!!

Greece won Euro 04 because Dellas was absolute class and Kyriakos was injured at the time...FACT!!!!!

Did you not see his disgusting performance in Euro 08 against Sweden??? Please don't try and justify it - just watch. To save you time forward to 4:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doiTck6K-os

Here is a player who got caught out playing for the foul instead of trying to win the ball which directly led to Sweden's second goal. He then feigned injury trying to cover up his f*ck up.

He was also partly at fault for the first goal by ball watching the 1-2

He's hands down the best centre-back Greece has my arse!!!

Watch the game against Israel, we're up one-nil and what has this guy done... created 3 chances for Israel by unnecessarily slide tackling every blade of grass, missing everytime. He's made Ben Sahar look world class.

All he does is slide tackle. While all world class centre backs in 2009 know you should always stay on your feet....this prick just slide tackles...nothing more.

Unless you can provide me with evidence that he is quality defender (don't waste your time) I rest my case.

We need to tighten up our defense.

GK - Sifakis

RB - Giourkas

CD - Papastathopoulos

CD - ?

LB - Spyropoulos

Torosidis should play in the mid.

Just for the record, Avraam and Moras are just as s%$#!.

Against Sweden he made a big mistake, yes. But I suggest you go and watch the whole 90 mins again. Apart from that one instant he had Ibrahimovic in his back pocket the whole game.

He's lost half yard of pace making him alot more rash which is why he slides alot. I agree he's an idiot for doing that. This is a newly developed habit because of his lack of pace, he slides because he's stretching because he simply can't get there anymore. He's not the defender he was for the 2 years during the Euro2008 qualifiers when he was one of Europe's best.

But like you say, Avraam is s%$#! and Moras is mediocre, so who plays ahead of Kyrgiakos. Also Papastathopoulos is not good enough to marshall a 2 man defence on his own, which is why we have to play 3 at the back (3-5-2 suits us best).

http://www.setanta.com/US/TV-Listings/

Setanta will show the game Greece-Ukraine live at 1:00 PM EST in the States and at 5 AM Australian time live. Also, another site had a post stating that the Ukraine-Greece match will be shown live in the States on ESPN2 based on an announcement during a televised match although it hasnt appeared on the ESPN site yet...

We have a lot of injuries and problems in the team. I can only count on the desire of some players, especially the older ones (Karagounis, Katsouranis) and the ego of the younger players, to give their 110% in the pitch and win the war against Ukraine. Remember that this is a two game war so even a marginal victory Athens may be sufficient.

only 5 days left then! :gr:

From Goal.com.

Greece national team coach Otto Rehhagel has announced his 22-man squad for the upcoming World Cup play-off against Ukraine.

The German gaffer somewhat surprisingly opted to give Olympiacos forward Kostas Mitroglou a call-up for the crucial games at home on November 14 and the trip to the Ukraine four days later.

Mitroglou grew up in Germany and was a product of Borussia Monchengladbach's youth academy. He has yet to make his official Greece debut.

Rehhagel has some injury worries in defence as Panathinaikos' Giorgos Seitaridis and Christos Patsatzoglou of Cypriot side AC Omonia are both out of the crucial two-legged clash. Additionally, highly rated striker Ioannis Amanatidis of Bundesliga outfit Eintracht will also miss the crunch clash.

Full Squad:

Goalkeepers: Costas Halkias (PAOK Salonica), Alexandros Tzorvas (Panathinaikos), Michael Sifakis (Aris Salonica)

Defenders: Lukas Vyntra, Nikos Spyropoulos (Panathinaikos), Vangelis Moras (Bologna), Avraam Papadopoulos,Vasilis Torosidis (Olympiacos), Socrates Papastathopoulos (Genoa), Sotiris Kyrgiakos (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Kostas Katsouranis, Giorgos Karagounis, Alexandros Tziolis and Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos), Grigoris Makos (AEK Athens), Vasilis Pliatsikas (Schalke 04)

Forwards: Dimitris Salpingidis (Panathinaikos), Fanis Gekas (Bayer Leverkusen), Giorgos Samaras (Celtic), Kostas Mitroglou (Olympiacos), Vasilis Koutsianikoulis (PAOK), Angelos Charisteas (Nuremberg)

Archived