Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Atletico Madrid

Irlandos

This new format does not look good at all and I think the CL is turning into a farce. Last season you had 4 Premiership teams in the quarters; what is this, an exclusive, elitist competition? Hijacked by the drunk English? Designed so only the richest teams advance? It used to be just that: the CHAMPIONS of each country competing. It should be the top 2 teams of each league and thats IT. This isn't about football anymore its about money. Money for a small group of people.

As far as our chances of advancing, we have a chance but we would have had a better chance had they not f ucked with our midfield, and our most important striker for European games: Mantzios. Some of you mentioned Athletico having a weak defence. Thats nice, who do we have up front? Cisse and...AND...Salp, a striker that falls flat on his face every time the ball gets passed to him. THATS a reliable striker for you going up against teams in the CL. Looks like we've entered some strange times in the world of football.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i do recall, it was salpi who scored last time we played atletico.

Get off his back, if the team has problems its definetly not salpi!

Here we are screaming about our defence being an issue day after day and nothing being done, we are now gonna start bagging salpi who busts his arse to the fullest of his capabilities, getting us out of tough situations just with his enthusiasm and never say die play..

Lets face it....we have CISSE now, and SALPI is the perfect foil for him..

Of course that doesnt go for every game, and so changes can be made with mantzio etc....

strange times in football is fans bagging the wrong players, when there are more important issues in the team to be whinging about.....

On a short trip to Cape Cod, found an internet cafe and learned about this draw! I was disappointed but then I had some smores over the campfire that night and felt better. During the night I had 2 dreams, like Pythia: one, that PAO will be totally demolished/embarrassed. The other one that PAO will pull off a great upset and advance.

While awake and sober I think that's how it'll play. Either we'll get smashed early on, or suprise even ourselves. No middle ground.

Now, the summer's is going by very fast for my taste, and I've gots to do some more bbqs and take one more short trip to the great outdoors.

As for our team, I think in Euro play we do much better as the underdogs. We have harder time against lesser or equal teams.

I want to see PAO advance to the group stages, but the Europa league isn't that bad either for now.

OK> some thoughts about the new structure. As the last 20 years have shown, the gap is increasing between the very wealthy teams and the rest. Quality comes with successes & money. Some nice ideas you floated here, gents, but you can't solve this fundamental problem with minor tweaks.

First, they have to see the sport as a whole, not individual teams & countries. IF they want more DIVERSE competition (many different countries as opposed to today's 5 teams from 3-4 countries that usually dominate) then they have to make the lesser teams more competitive. VERY HARD TO DO THIS unless you have a league that's governed like the US Football league (and other sports), where there's revenue sharing, salary caps per team, lottery draw for new players, etc, etc. They figured that competion is healthy for the sport, so no single team/city/state has dominated.

I just hate change, i mean the farken play off in greece is ridiculous enough all credit to PAOK for coming second we basically robbed them of millions of euros, now who ever wins that has to play off twice....i mean why can we just have a PC tournament where everyone gets a chance to play and win new friends and at the end of the day football is the winner.................jokes, $

but seriously now i too am sick of the few MAJOR clubs (and their pathetic loser fans, liverpoo, madamchester unite, barca etc) that controll uefa and fifa seriously i hate change...and the drunk english...

If i do recall, it was salpi who scored last time we played atletico.

Get off his back, if the team has problems its definetly not salpi!

Here we are screaming about our defence being an issue day after day and nothing being done, we are now gonna start bagging salpi who busts his arse to the fullest of his capabilities, getting us out of tough situations just with his enthusiasm and never say die play..

Lets face it....we have CISSE now, and SALPI is the perfect foil for him..

Of course that doesnt go for every game, and so changes can be made with mantzio etc....

strange times in football is fans bagging the wrong players, when there are more important issues in the team to be whinging about.....

Salp may bust his arse and come through at times certainly in the league but that doesn't mean he's this player with amazing skill that will be good against teams in the CL. And you think he's the perfect foil for Cisse, good I'm glad you have that confidence but I don't see any great chemistry between the 2 of them yet. After the performances last season in the CL we should be looking to BUILD on that; meaning a step forward from the last 16. So we should be looking at the quarters or semis, but they decided to take several steps backward.

Its going to be sold out, tickets are supposedly finished. Thats a good start...Hopefully we can bring down Atletico off their game a bit, afterall NOWHERE in Spain will you find atmosphere like PAO in OAKA.

How many tickets were made available though? I heard it will be 55k at the game

I heard on Erasport that we've sold almost as many season tickets as last year (~26k), so add this to the game receipts. With the exception of a neutral zone of around 1-2k (buffer around the 500 visiting fans) the stadium will be full.

In other news, Chelsea is prepared to make a 42m bid for Aquero

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2589311.ece

I heard on Erasport that we've sold almost as many season tickets as last year (~26k), so add this to the game receipts. With the exception of a neutral zone of around 1-2k (buffer around the 500 visiting fans) the stadium will be full.

In other news, Chelsea is prepared to make a 42m bid for Aquero

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...icle2589311.ece

Even if there's the remotest possibility of Aguero going they won't play him because he'll be cup-tied.

ITV will be showing the game in England. After BBC 1 it's the most watched channel in the country and the game will be on during prime time TV. Hence, the game could have millions of viewers globally: Greece, Spain, England, Cyprus, U.S.A, etc.

This is a fantastic opportunity to magnify PAO's prestige. We need to create a better atmosphere than ever before and we must win this game. PAO could be boosted astronomically! :gr:

As for the game itself. Atletico are very confident and they seem prepared, not to mention that they're in excellent form. They are also undermining the importance of the atmosphere at OAKA. Reyes said he's no worried about the atmosphere, Assuncao said the atmosphere will be good but they'll deal with it, and Ujfalusi actually laughed when asked if he was worried about the atmosphere. I really hope the whole stadium is in good voice and not just Gate 13.

More good news for us in the USA. PAO vs. Atletico will be on Fox Soccer Channel at 5:00 PM ET on delay. Also the APOEL vs. Coppenhagen game will be on at 11:00 AM ET. Along with the Oly game that's 3 Greek teams in 2 days on TV in the USA. That's got to be some sort of record. :D

ITV will be showing the game in England. After BBC 1 it's the most watched channel in the country and the game will be on during prime time TV. Hence, the game could have millions of viewers globally: Greece, Spain, England, Cyprus, U.S.A, etc.

This is a fantastic opportunity to magnify PAO's prestige. We need to create a better atmosphere than ever before and we must win this game. PAO could be boosted astronomically! :gr:

As for the game itself. Atletico are very confident and they seem prepared, not to mention that they're in excellent form. They are also undermining the importance of the atmosphere at OAKA. Reyes said he's no worried about the atmosphere, Assuncao said the atmosphere will be good but they'll deal with it, and Ujfalusi actually laughed when asked if he was worried about the atmosphere. I really hope the whole stadium is in good voice and not just Gate 13.

the english will just complain about the atmosphere and bitch about flares.

itv is a great channel though and its prime time.

Typically, in european matches/big matches its not "just" gate 13. Its sold out, it will be exciting from the fans, the only uncertainty it from the team.

Ufalusi is the best defender in the world btw. (According to his own words :LOL:)

they are not supposed to worry about these sort of things and don't blame them. Villareal made it through last year, and they've no reason to beleive they can't either.

To be honest, it really is a stupid question to ask, if a player is worried about an atmosphere. Oh no, I'm scared that noise will happen! I dont even want to play? Is that how he should think/respond?

yeah the english are a repressed race, a good crowd for them is a drunk one or worse a bunch of kids with their fathers SITTING down eating corn dogs.....................

SET FIRE TO OAKA FOR WORLD TO SEE GATE 13 POWER MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

seriously though, must win, must score, must....

it appears net will broadcast the game but not ert :( - i hate when they do that.

looks like ill be streamng it

It's okay though ... here I am still waiting for news on which channel will broadcast a game (Vaslui - AEK) that's only two days away ...

This is a classic high risk high reward scenario for PAO. Let's be honest, most of us think Athletico is a better team (not unbeatable), so if PAO losses respectfully I don't think they will loose any respect from anyone here, but if they win they will definitely be praised from even people that don't like them.

Anyway good luck, make Greece proud win or loose.

P.S. this draw did suck for PAO, way to early to be playing this type of an opponent.

yeah the english are a repressed race, a good crowd for them is a drunk one or worse a bunch of kids with their fathers SITTING down eating corn dogs.....................

SET FIRE TO OAKA FOR WORLD TO SEE GATE 13 POWER MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

seriously though, must win, must score, must....

actually they eat pies, theyre quite delisious.

There crowds can be good, its just a different approach.

I just wish their bitching would shutup about flares. They ARE awesome. Its Fact. UEFA and FIFA can go suck one, as long as nobody is getting hurt they really should just shutup and leave security to the clubs judgement, f**** fascist douchebags....

Wouldnt it be nice Crazaraaaa.. tough though.... I wish we were playing a FC Sheriff... but i guess it puts us in motion for the season playing such a high calibre game.

I, for the first time, feel like we will lose tomorrow. So I will place a 300$ bet on Athletico to win... If I lose the bet... ill be the happiest 300$ loser ever. :)

u serious Niko? 300$? I'd advise not to man......

Although I have a strong feeling it will be a 2-1 or 3-1 Atletico win, because I was positive PAO was not going to pass through this year with the terrible draw perspectives and our bad team, but I'd still have trouble putting down money on it.

PAO at home can be quite formidable and frustrating at home. Remember even with that strong Sevilla generation we beat them the first match in Leoforos 1-0....Villareal we could have drawn too.

Esp with a full stadium, a boring 0-0 draw is very feasible. A win is even possible (if we catch them early on in the game and the fans carry that momentum, Gilberto does well in the back and Simao controls Kunt Aguero, then its realistic)

I dont think you'd be a happy having lost 300$ and going into Madrid with a 2-2 draw.....

as much as this team I beleive is very poorly put together, they are consistently a wildcard. One game high, another low.

I hear Gilberto will be in the back line. I like him there much better. He seems like hell would be more effective there. We dont even need him in the midfield so much. Mattos and Simao will be in there, so it will get quite physical.

hope for this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2odzBH7qjIE

Archived