Phantis Forums

Olympiakos - Anorthosis

dark_horse

I normally support Greek teams in Europe but this is one of those rare ocassions where I was delighted that Olympiakos got killed by a small team, coached by a former AEK player, after the way they won the Greek championship in court and screwed over AEK who won the championship on the field.

This proves that, yet again, despite all their money, paper championships, and their "big name" South American signings, the Court Champions cant win a game without having the refereees and league officials in their hip pockets. If Anorthosis was a team playing in the Greek League, Anorthosis would have definitely not won this game especially with a 3-0 score

All 3 goals by Anorthosis against Olympiakos including the missed penalty by Olympiakos

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...?ID=15744&Ln=En

Oh, come on, that's a pretty silly assertion...let's not bring such claims into this. Olympiakos today didn't lose because they didn't have the "help" of the referees, they lost because they just played terribly.

Last year when OLY advanced in the CL, did they have any "outside help"? Your argument can go both ways.

Someone else asked this before but I haven't seen it answered and am also curious: does OLY end up in the UEFA cup if they are eliminated by Anorthosi?

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this from Wikipedia's article on the UEFA Cup:

"Winners of the qualifying rounds join teams from the associations ranked 1-13 in the first round proper. In addition, losers in the third qualifying round of the Champions League also enter this round, and another place is reserved for the title-holders. There are 80 teams total in this round."

This chit-chat about paper championships etc bullshit is out of context. Oly had a very decent european season with Lemonis, though I still consider him a very mediocre coach. This year's fiasco is not a surprise and should be blamed entirely to the management. Step by step we were getting into trouble:

• The starting of all evils was when they sacked Lemonis without having a reliable substitute
  • The humiliating defeat by AEK didn't alarm anything to the management. The nobody-Segura would be our coach now, hadn't he resigned for personal reasons.
  • Kokkalis makes that "monumental" press-conference (just before sacking Ivic) where he states that "he knows of football", Oly is complete and only needs of a coach to maintain the kind of football the management wants to play (!!!)
  • Ivic is sacked without having a reliable substitute. Chrysikopoulos and Kokkalis manage the tranfers and the result is, as expected, amateurish back-forth moves.
  • They hired Valverde because he is a coach who prefers young players and doesn't demand expensive tranfers. They clearly wanted a puppet with some reputation in abroad.
  • the main arbitrator of the transferring matter (Kokkalis) leaves Greece for a long time, for unknown (health?) reasons. Nothing works during his absence.
  • Valverde is not given support in transferring players he wanted for aligning the team's playing style to his preference. He demands pressing across the field by aged or undisciplined players who don't have the physics to follow this tactic. His complaints slip to the press a few days before the ending of the pre-season, but no one is worried.
  • Management completely ignores fans demand for improving team's disappointing performance in the domestic championship, instead they wait for the CL draw to start looking for real transfers.
  • Our defensive problems in the middle-field don't alarm anyone although we know that without proper defense in the whole field we will be elliminated in Europe. Instead they give away Ledesma and buy Dudu (who is not a pure defensive mf) as the companion of the aged Stoltidis.
  • Our attacking problems are similarly "addressed", by getting a loan player (a practice of PAO we were always laughing at) and dismissing Lua-Lua. In the absence of serious alternatives for a fast striker, our coach is experimenting with Galetti (!) and everyone puts his hopes in Diogo. A young Brazilian talent who surely couldn't perform before a long period of adaptation
  • Our playing with Anorthosi shows worrying levels of indiscipline and huge amounts of underestimation of the opponent.
Now aren't all these a definite prescription for suicide? Are we expecting miracles? A 1-1 or 1-2 is the most possible result of the return leg. In general, I am against premature coach sackings but Valverde seems to be out of reality and can't control the team. The management should abdicate. Kokkalis should be the first to go as the main responsible for a very bad company culture. Am I really expecting to see these? Of course not.

(ethnikisti-dude, you don't need to respond, I am tired of your usual childish clamouring)

:D :LOL:

so most of us still dont get to see it or we have to pay.... :(

Im gona be traveling to patra and on the boat from Patra to Sami during the game anyone know if the boats show the game

Vre Legend ... Kefalonitis eisai? :o

Found this from Wikipedia's article on the UEFA Cup:

"Winners of the qualifying rounds join teams from the associations ranked 1-13 in the first round proper. In addition, losers in the third qualifying round of the Champions League also enter this round, and another place is reserved for the title-holders. There are 80 teams total in this round."

oh its definitly true. 3rd round CL qual losers are shot right into UEFA.......been like that years now...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :( :( :( :( :(

We were horible,no excuses and no buts or ifs........just,i dont want to see some people mixing yesterday game with everything else that has happened during the last 10 years,champioships,greece or Kokkalis........Anorthosi was better,more prepared and deserve the win.........now,we got to play the PERFECT game in Karaiskaki to make it......4 goals are not easy/almost imposible to score.......no excuses and the biggest blame goes to El Presidento........instead of chilling in Mykonos,he should be getting what the coach asked for from the start of the summer.......... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

redmagic do u know how to upload videos here

what do you want me to watch???

The own goal by Torosidhs or the penalty that Mitroglou missed?? :LOL: :LOL:

Olympiakos will loose in Athens and our club will go back to the xalia we had 20 years ago thanks to Kokkalhs , pocketing 40 million euro and spending only 3 million to bring Oscar :angry:

If you cannot organise your team with a playing roster 3-4 weeks before the biggest game of the year its best to hand it over to someone who will care about the club and especially the supporters who attend week in week out :whistle:

Can't wait to play in the UEFA cup :P

Ok,for the return game in Greece i expect and want to see this kind of line up(s):

---------------------------Nikopolidis (if recoverd) or Kovac------------------------------

-----Galitsios----------Antzas---------------A.Papadopoulos-------------Torosidis-------

-----------------------Stoltidis--------------------------Dudu-------------------------------

--------Galleti--------------------------Beluschi-----------------------Djole----------------

-------------------------------------Kovacevic-----------------------------------------------

With Leto,Patsatzoglou and Mitroglou be the 3 changes during the match.Control the ball,close Anorthosi down and pressure the heck out of them.If i see Oscar in the starting 11,i wont be pleased......... :angry: Valverde needs to tell the team one thing only,we run and run and run,and then.....we run some more....120% tsites from the first second untill the end of the game if we want to have any hope.3 goals are not easy to score on a summer friendly,picture now on a CL qualifier but we need 4 and in a hurry...... :rolleyes:

what do you want me to watch???

The own goal by Torosidhs or the penalty that Mitroglou missed?? :LOL: :LOL:

Olympiakos will loose in Athens and our club will go back to the xalia we had 20 years ago thanks to Kokkalhs , pocketing 40 million euro and spending only 3 million to bring Oscar :angry:

If you cannot organise your team with a playing roster 3-4 weeks before the biggest game of the year its best to hand it over to someone who will care about the club and especially the supporters who attend week in week out :whistle:

Can't wait to play in the UEFA cup :P

Ha. actually i wanna watch the beautiful cross leading to the Sosin goal. i was curious how to upload videos. i wanted to add extended highlight packages but finally i put them up for download on rapidshare. thanks for the funny comment anywya though.

Guest TheLegend

Another reason why this team needs finishers. Kovacevic can score but not on his own...

Have no idea why the F*** oscar played in Galleti's position (Who played so good when back in his position and always plays good on the flank) and galleti in his

Oscar is an average player nothing more. Dont know why the persistence of Valverde always playing him.

once again almost 70% possesion 1 or 2 REALLY GOOD chances that failed to score (PENALTY THAT APPARENTLY MITROGLOU WAS TOLD NOT TO TAKE, and Stoltidis after that move into the box)

Then some decent chances here and there (pasta in the box, etc)

No one could finish..

If the team could finish even with bad luck they would have gone away there 3-2 at the least

the game shoulda finished 2-1 but the missed penalty cause it to become 3-0

2-1 = 1 goal needed to win

3=0 4 goals needed to win

1 goal makes a huge difference... Galleti woulda burried that penalty. Hes a smart player and I dont think hed do some stupid C Ronaldo pause crap

Anyways. Aek is 70% out in my eyes and Olympiacos will be playing UEFA which isnt so bad because it will wake Kokalis up a bit that hes gota splash the cash right away not wait to see if pao makes a move and also in UEFA with some favorable draws u can go to semis playing teams of paok caliber (no offense to paok, they have a great team this year)

Guest TheLegend

End of the game,

Anorthosis 3 - 0 OSFP.

What a game for Anorthosis!

Man of the match: Beqaj!

What had the game looked like if Mitroglou hadn't taken that penalty kick ... :whistle:

had the penalty been in anorthosis and olympiacos would have played possesion rest of game 2-1 is a good result for anorthosis ( a win) and a good result for olympiacos (away goal, 1-0 at home and through)

Thats why i dont know why mitroglou took it. even if he was told why the F*** not let galleti take it?

btw yes..im in kefalonia right now

End of the game,

Anorthosis 3 - 0 OSFP.

What a game for Anorthosis!

Man of the match: Beqaj!

What had the game looked like if Mitroglou hadn't taken that penalty kick ...  :whistle:

had the penalty been in anorthosis and olympiacos would have played possesion rest of game 2-1 is a good result for anorthosis ( a win) and a good result for olympiacos (away goal, 1-0 at home and through)

Thats why i dont know why mitroglou took it. even if he was told why the F*** not let galleti take it?

btw yes..im in kefalonia right now

He took it for his own personal revenge to the Anorthosis crowd ... although someone should've stepped up and not let him do that. It cost the team a goal most probably. But ok it happened and he'll probably never do that again :).

Where you from in Kefalonia? Or just on holidays?

Guest TheLegend

from argostoli on vacation right now

I think i might go to the anorthosis game in karaiskaki even though i predict a very s%$#! dull match

3 hours by boat and then 3 hours car isnt that bad

Just gota find tickets.

Well NikosVazelas will be happy to see that I'm back ;)

Where do I start... here's a statement for you guys.. Anorthosis didn't beat Olympiakos because they were better prepared or because they were in better physical condition, they won because they are better. That's right, the 11 that played in blue are a better team than the 11 that played in red. I like everyone here, I respect your opinions, and I look forward to reading your posts, but these excuses that you guys are conjuring up, like "it's valverde's fault", or "they were better prepared", or "in better physical condition", is ridiculous.

Avraa is crap!!! You call him a defender? He's clumsy, has poor positional sense, and was totally dominated in the air by Sosin. In fact, Ketsbaia proved his managerial credentials in this game. Anorthosis have always been a passing team... they look for short passes in midfield or penetrative runs on the wings. Rarely do we ever play a long ball game. Even against so-called stronger opposition such as Trabzon, Rapid Wienna, Bilbao, Rangers, Spurs, etc. Against Oly though Ketsbaia changed all that. He played a swift, aerial counter attacking game and the fact is Olympiakos couldn't handle it.

Someone here said Beqaj was man of the match... sorry guys, but no way! What did he have to do? Let's consider Oly's chances...

1) Beqaj tipped it over the bar after his own defender flicked it in his direction following a Galletti cross. Although it was a fantastic reflex save, it was hardly a chance Oly made.

2) Stoltidis' wonderful skill where he hit the ball wide.

3) The penalty that hit the post, which Oly only won after Paolo Costa played a suicide pass in no-mans land.

4) Kovacevic's weak hearder straight into Beqaj's arms.

I can't think of another moment. Why? Because when Anorthosis were defending they closed Oly out of the game completely. Oly were unimaginative, passionless, unorganised, and generally lacked quality. While Ano were tactically astute, passioned, creative when in attacking positions, and defensively excellent. Sosin's ability to win the ball in the air and brings others into play was wonderful to watch, Bardon's cross for the second goal was world class, Lapan's intricate passes were great, Dellas was a general at the back, Beqaj was inspired when called upon, Nicolaou was a leader, etc.

As for Oly... Avraam? :LOL: An abysmal player! I've always thought he's overrated, but having seen this game I'm convinced he's terrible. Released Cesar for him? Bravo re Kokkali, eise mangas.

Djole can't run anymore and Patsa should retire. Where was Bellushi? Antzas?

Lua Lua's absence was obvious... you're happy now that he's gone eh Kokkali?

This tie is by no means over... but if Olympiakos make it, it will be because of the home atmosphere, the pressure on Anorthosis, etc. Not because Oly are an excellent team.

@ Js1000: When Ano lost 6-1 to Spurs it was a freak game. Ano were doing very well and pressing for a goal before Tottenham scored 3 goals in 3 mins (43rd, 44th, 45th). That marked Ano's capitulation. These things can happen to any team, but it isn't reflective of Ano's ability. Tottenham also beat Arsenal 5-1 last season, Chelsea just beat Milan 5-0 a few weeks ago in pre-season, Kaunas beat Rangers, Man Utd beat Roma 7-1... are they results reflective of these teams' abilities? Ano have strengthened alot since then and I guarantee you that if we were in the Prem there'd be no certainties that we'd go down. Ano are no worse than teams like West Brom, Hull, Stoke or Wigan.

Archived