Phantis Forums

Basketball - Beijing

In looking at the stats of today's game (unfortunately I forgot how early it was and missed it entirely), I was glad to see that Giannakis finally gave some time to players who haven't seen much action yet, like Printezis and Pelekanos. Granted it seems they got many of their minutes when the game was already out of reach, but I do hope that Giannakis does give these guys more of a shot in the games coming up, I do feel they can bring something to the table and take some of the pressure off our team's core players.

Bourousis had a great game, Glyniadakis played well too, which I am happy to see.

On the other hand, Sofo did not play at all, and I would venture a guess that Giannakis is not planning on using him much at all.

There's a pretty good game on right now, Lithuania versus Croatia. In a bit of a surprise, Croatia has held the lead throughout the first half, going up by as much as 13 I believe, but Lithuania cut it to 45-42 at halftime, with the second half set to begin in a few minutes.

A win by Croatia would make things very interesting in the group. If Argentina wins tonight (all but certain against Iran) and wins their final group match against Russia (who is all but eliminated from the tournament), they finish first, Argentina second, and Lithuania third with Australia in fourth place. A loss by Argentina against Russia and a Croatian victory versus Lithuania would, however, bring Croatia to first place, with Lithuania second and Argentina third....probably not a very good scenario for the Ethniki, assuming we end up in third place in our group!

On the other hand, if Lithuania pulls through and defeats Croatia, they are assured first place regardless of the outcome of their final group match against Australia. Croatia would also finish no better than third, so Argentina would be all but assured of 2nd place and a likely matchup against Greece.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lietuva's pulling away with a show of force in the 4th quarter...78-65 with around 4:30 left.

Honestly this is probably the best scenario for the Ethniki, as outlined above. With a Croatia win, we risked facing Lithuania with a 3rd place finish in our group. Now we most likely will face Argentina, who I feel is a better matchup for us. Still far from a guaranteed win as Argentina is a strong team, but if I were forced to choose, I'd take them over Lithuania.

Of course we still have to defeat China to ensure 3rd place in our group. There's still a scenario where we finish 4th. A loss against China will put them in 3rd place and us in 4th as they would have the tiebreaker over us. If we wanted to get real technical (Kolokotronis will love this)...a loss against China, and a German win tonight against China and in two days against Team USA (!!!) would bring Germany to third place and place China in fourth, eliminating us from the competition! :nono:

EDIT: Lithuania wins 86-73. Very entertaining match. Lithuania was too big for Croatia and was on target with its outside shooting in the second half. And they dribbled out their last possession (20 seconds) instead of taking a "desperation" shot to run up the score. Classy move by Lithuania that our friends the Spaniards could learn from.

This is ridiculous.

Mods: Cant Kolokotronis vs Phantis be discussed in another thread???

Greece beats Angola 102-61 today :whistle: :gr: :D

Yes,you are right,were are the mods when you need them???Oups,damn,i am one.Ok,guys,you know who i am talking about,since we are in the Olympics games and it is a time for concentrating on the sports and enjoy them,different countries and nations coming together in one place with there best athletes,lets not continue to debate the hell out of this one.You guys have made your points,have your opinions, agree to disagree the last,.....week i think??Lets give it a rest.

PS.It is just funny when you have the biggest trouble maker in here,drakos13,calling for us.... :LOL: :LOL:

PS.2 Good effort by Angola but they have no tall people whatsoever.Bourousis felt like he was playing against little children. :D One more win against China and we will be 3rd in our group.

Or if you don't live in the US this works internationally:

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

click channel 8 that's where our game is being shown right now. Also 100% legal!

We're up 43-28 atm. (we're past the 2nd quarter)

I've made a section on my website also featuring Olympic streams, including the legal ones from NBC, BBC, Eurovisionsports, etc., as well as streams from Greece for NET, ET-1, ET-3, etc. (watch at your own risk!). http://www.media.net.gr/livesports.htm

If anyone is familiar with any stream/link that is missing feel free to let me know and I'll update the page.

Hi, will you have Greece/China on one of those links?

PS.It is just funny when you have the biggest trouble maker in here,drakos13,calling for us.... :LOL: :LOL:

True ... :D

Anyway crazy's right.

Relax guys, stay on topic and no need to get personal.

@jh1: if the game is being broadcast on one of the Greek channel, then yes, it will also be on PurelyAcademic's site as he provides links to streams of all major Greek channels.

Should that not work you can also use the link I provided from Eurovisionsports ... :)

True ... :D

Anyway crazy's right.

Relax guys, stay on topic and no need to get personal.

@jh1: if the game is being broadcast on one of the Greek channel, then yes, it will also be on PurelyAcademic's site as he provides links to streams of all major Greek channels.

Should that not work you can also use the link I provided from Eurovisionsports ... :)

Thanks, atleast i've got different options. B)

Argentina always scares me for some reason....you never think anything of Argentinian league because its not as heard of, but they are basically players rooted in Spain and Italian leagues....they are nasty from the 3pt line, and people said Argentina is missing players, but that doesnt ease me, Im sure theres a lot more talent to come up from them. Hopefully our defense can be where we win the battle.....

I think Spain can beat USA. I also think they're better as a 'team'. I think USA is fragile, if things start not to go their way, nerves can set in and they can collapse, in any given game against the quality European teams, not so much against Argentina I think.

119-82.

Geia sou philosophe tou basket.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Dont forget kidd^ He isnt quick

The thing about the american guards is that they are not TRUE guards other than Kidd, the slowest one out of all of them. What I mean by a true guard is someone that completly controls the play and sets up everything. Theyre more like shooting guards and scoring guards. REAL guards are players like steve nash, Tony Parker, Jose Calderon etc. Players like Bryant arent really guards but are sooo talented that its better to kinda put them in that position because they see more of the ball. Imo out of every country in this tournament greece have probablly the best set of four PURE guards. I know spanoulis, and zizis arent as pure guards as kid or something, but they are better than average playmakers. The reason why the states are so good is because theyre forwords. No country in the world comes remotly close to the states when it comes to forwords. Lebron vs Vassilpoulos? No doubt whos the better foreword.

Imo the speed of the guard is not THAT important as your making it to be. The guard should be the play maker. Not if your talking about the speed of a forwword thats a different story. THats where the americans are gonna get you

Wa all just saw just how much of a difference there is between the US guards, and guards in the rest of the world.

Calderon, Rudy, Ricky, they were ALL non-factors.

They weren't playing CSSKA Moscow tonight. ;)

^ Touche

But theres somethign about this us team that makes me think they are going to lose eventually. ANd imo theirs weekest point is the guards. And greeces strongs skill is their guards so well see how things happen. Dont get me wrong, the american guards are good but thats their week point

Indeed an impressive performance by Team USA, coupled with really atrocious three point shooting by the Spaniards.

However, I'm still not sold on Team USA. They will have proven themselves when/if they win the gold medal. It's not hate on my part, it's not jumping the gun. We still haven't even made it to the group stage.

^ Touche

But theres somethign about this us team that makes me think they are going to lose eventually. ANd imo theirs weekest point is the guards. And greeces strongs skill is their guards so well see how things happen. Dont get me wrong, the american guards are good but thats their week point

Exactly which US guard is "weak"?

Chris Paul, who completely shut down Calderon and Spanoulis?

Kobe Bryant, the best player on the planet?

Dwayne Wade, arguably US's best player so far, who absolutely TORE US APART?

Or maybe Deron Williams, who would be the best guard in the world if you excluded Americans?

Plaese don't tell me Jason Kidd. He's a 35 year old token starter who plays 5 minutes a game and attempted his first shot today.

Greece's guards can't even touch the US's. None of them. That's why we got pounded. Their guards had our way with us, like they did today with Spain.

You're talking about two entirely different levels of play.

I havent seen this Argentina team play, but they are a talented team

I can't remember ever playing them, at least recently, am I wrong?

I think the last time we played Argentina was in 2004 in Athens, where we lost to them 69-64. I recall the game went to the final minute and was close throughout. Argentina went on to the gold medal that year, while we finished 5th.

Granted that was on our home floor, but I think our team this year (and since 2005) has been stronger than the 2004 team, which was still finding its feet. 5th in the Olympics had been its best result in any competition since 1998 (4th in the World Championship, also in Greece).

Argentina is a tough team, but if faced with a choice between them and Lithuania for the quarterfinal, I would feel that our chances are better versus the Argentinians.

^ Touche

So you're saying we'll beat the US if we meet in the semi's?

Indeed an impressive performance by Team USA, coupled with really atrocious three point shooting by the Spaniards.

However, I'm still not sold on Team USA. They will have proven themselves when/if they win the gold medal. It's not hate on my part, it's not jumping the gun. We still haven't even made it to the group stage.

Irrespective of who wins the gold, at this moment, who is the basketball team on the planet?

Kolokotronis,

I'm not sold on anyone. Okay? Stop trying to bait and cause more arguments and more tension. I also never said I was sold on Spain or Greece. You have a nasty, nasty habit of putting words into other people's mouths and causing all sorts of arguments as a result.

I am not making a prediction for anyone. I already know you'll call it a cop-out, because that's the convenient argument for you to make. However, I'm under no requirement to predict anything. I don't bet on games and I don't sit and prognosticate and claim that any team is going to win...not in the Olympics, not in any league, not in any sport. Instead of belittling me and putting me down and throwing around ironies maybe you should just keep quiet and respect a differing opinion for once. I realize that may be difficult for you to do, but try it. You might just feel better, rather than having to come here to prove to us again and again how superior Team USA is to the rest of the world.

I will maintain this, though: until (and if) Team USA wins the gold, they cannot be considered the best basketball team on the planet. Not if they have lost three tournaments in a row.

USA is simply way better than any team in a long time of theirs..I dont think its impossible for them to lose in the upcoming rounds, but its definitly improbable. I dont know how others arent sold on them yet....They dont miss, and their depth is too strong, but this year their defense is going to win them the tournament. After this great showing in the tournament, it would be suprising to say the least to see them going down to a Lithuania or Argentina.

I think for sure at least the game will be a bit closer next time for Spain or Greece, but closer doesnt mean a win.

Defensivley they went from eating 100 points vs China, Puerto Rico, Greece, and Slovenia in 06 to keeping Spain and Greece way down there. Is nothing short of a massive improvement. This USA is just upgraded major time with talent but also training and experience. I dont like them, theyre still douchebags, but....this year theyre top quality whats to say...Theres simply no other team in the world that can play that well against Spain.... I thought USA would edge it, but that scoreline is just unreal. These are the best since the original dream teams, totally.

I still think were going to see Spain-USA final....the only thing that would make it close if Spain has a better plan/game and USA for some reason cant handle the pressure of a final. Thats the best I can hope for at least.

Anyways, Im more interested in China-Greece now...Greece team can beat the old USA's, but this one, not really happening... Greece has a ways to go before we can compete with that, I admit.

USA is simply way better than any team in a long time of theirs..I dont think its impossible for them to lose in the upcoming rounds, but its definitly improbable. I dont know how others arent sold on them yet....They dont miss, and their depth is too strong, but this year their defense is going to win them the tournament. After this great showing in the tournament, it would be suprising to say the least to see them going down to a Lithuania or Argentina.

I think for sure at least the game will be a bit closer next time for Spain or Greece, but closer doesnt mean a win.

Defensivley they went from eating 100 points vs China, Puerto Rico, Greece, and Slovenia in 06 to keeping Spain and Greece way down there. Is nothing short of a massive improvement. This USA is just upgraded major time with talent but also training and experience. I dont like them, theyre still douchebags, but....this year theyre top quality whats to say...Theres simply no other team in the world that can play that well against Spain.... I thought USA would edge it, but that scoreline is just unreal. These are the best since the original dream teams, totally.

I still think were going to see Spain-USA final....the only thing that would make it close if Spain has a better plan/game and USA for some reason cant handle the pressure of a final. Thats the best I can hope for at least.

Anyways, Im more interested in China-Greece now...Greece team can beat the old USA's, but this one, not really happening... Greece has a ways to go before we can compete with that, I admit.

At least here's SOMEBODY with enough common sense to admit they were wrong.

Kudos to you drakos.

p.s. You DO remember who I told you was the best defensive team on the planet was, don't you? And this was BEFORE the tourney started.

At least here's SOMEBODY with enough common sense to admit they were wrong.

Kudos to you drakos.

p.s. You DO remember who I told you was the best defensive team on the planet was, don't you? And this was BEFORE the tourney started.

Yeah. I did have QUITE a hard time beleiving it, as I honestly couldnt for see USA being such a high margin better than they were in 06, after all the talk I heard from my friends who follow basket --- how they was the sickest team etc in 06....So I just couldnt imagine the diff being so big...

The USA defense, jumped up completley to a new level. First Greece, who sometimes just becomes useless on the court anyways, but Spain...The last USA team was way more beatable, to say the least. The athleticsm combined with actual tactics this time, to provide a defensive show this year...

I'm still cheering against them, but its going to take a wonder performance from any team to actually win this year.

PS:

You said they were the best defense, and all I could think about was Spanoulis driving through all of them in 06, and PR and China netting 100 pts against them etc. I was just blown away by the difference yesterday....

Anyways, Im sold on them now, after getting a chance to see them tested in the tournament. If Spain cant go do it or even come close, nor Greece - then theres no way Argentina or Lithuania can.

USA is flexing its muscle right now. Cant do much, except keep it respectable. BTW I do think we did better than Spain did vs USA, and we were pretty relaxed out there. If they played again I dont expect Greece to win, but you simply cant say Greece cant do better out there. I only been paying attention to Greece, and I know were more capable, than trying to make ghost passes, force the ball down the center, brick open 3 pointers etc.

Here is the difference drakos-PREPARATION.

When I told you guys the US team in '06 was put together in 2-3 weeks time, you didn't believe me. You guys all said it was an excuse, a cop out.

(Much like when I told you the '04 team had NOTHING in common with this team, again, you guys all told me it was an excuse).

Now when you see them together for 2 years, you see the difference.

It takes time to play team defense. You need understanding and communication, something that can't be instilled in 2-3 weeks time. Greece has been together for 7 years.

Years ago, the US could put just about any collection of NBA pros together and wallop anybody in the world. Not so anymore. The rest of the worlds players have gotten much better, and the coaching in the rest of the world has improved as well.

If you break down each player individually and assess their abilities, you can easily see how the US can put a MONSTER defensive team together. Nobody in the world has the long athletes with the lateral quickness and athleticism that the US does. Given enough time to gel as a unit, that advantage in athleticism will manifest itself in a superior defensive side.

The difference in the teams is DEFENSE. The US always could score, whether it be '04, 06 or now. Now they're playing D.

Archived