Phantis Forums

Basketball - Beijing

IMO i think our shot at Bronze/Silver is more or less the same depending on the draw...if we get Lithuania in the Semi-final then our best chance for a medal is actually silver (if face loser from Spain or USA in 3rd place match, then taking silver will be easier than bronze for us)

In the Olympic Games Greece never had a medal, so I guess its not too disapointing to get a bronze. We got Silver in the WC, but still staying in the top 3 would be an accomplishment.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not taking anything for granted but likely routes to get a medal

The only assumption I'm going to make is that the other top teams are ranked

1 US

2 Spain

3 Argentina

4 Lithuania

If we finish 4th

We need to beat Lithuania,

then either Spain in the semis to get to a guaranteed medal

or Argentina in the bronze medal

Or

If we finish 3rd

We need to beat Argentina

then either the US in the semis to a get a guaranteed medal

or Lithuiania in the bronze medal

so what is the difference?

If we come 4th - Spain come into play

If we come 3rd -- The US does

I dont care about our history --but if we finish 4th ---the Spaniards are not as good as the US

and the key game, the quarterfinal game, is against Lithuania who I rank below the Argentines

Just something to think about

Then again if we can't beat the US or Spain , then it looks like we will nedd to beat Lithuania and Argentina to get a bronze

That is assuming all other games go as I predict --- this is getting a little complicated

:blink:

Kolokotronis,

I'm not sold on anyone.  Okay?  Stop trying to bait and cause more arguments and more tension.  I also never said I was sold on Spain or Greece.  You have a nasty, nasty habit of putting words into other people's mouths and causing all sorts of arguments as a result. 

I am not making a prediction for anyone.  I already know you'll call it a cop-out, because that's the convenient argument for you to make.  However, I'm under no requirement to predict anything.  I don't bet on games and I don't sit and prognosticate and claim that any team is going to win...not in the Olympics, not in any league, not in any sport.  Instead of belittling me and putting me down and throwing around ironies maybe you should just keep quiet and respect a differing opinion for once.  I realize that may be difficult for you to do, but try it.  You might just feel better, rather than having to come here to prove to us again and again how superior Team USA is to the rest of the world.

I will maintain this, though: until (and if) Team USA wins the gold, they cannot be considered the best basketball team on the planet.  Not if they have lost three tournaments in a row.

Buddy,

That's what intenret forums are for, to debate and discuss.

If you can't take the heat, getout of the kitchen.

Anybody who still insists the US isn't the best team, despite the recent scorelines, deserves their fate on these boards.

In any event, I asked you a couple of very simple questions:

1) who the best team on the planet is (you get the REST of the world to pick from my friend, it can't be that hard)? and

2) who will win the gold (since this is an OLYMPIC thread, I don't think its an illogical question)

Problem is, any answer but USA for #1 will subject you to ridicule at this point, and any answer but USA for #2 may subject you to even greater ridicule later. You know that, and I know that.

But if you come on here and stubbornly and insanely insist that you're not "sold" on the US after they drub they second best team on the planet by 37, then you deserve your fate.

It's not illogical to ask who you are SOLD on then. If you don't think the US will win gold, surely you must have someone else in mind. Otherwise, this argument makes about as much sense as everything else you've posted so far on the topic.

Here's a clue:

If you debated based on facts and common sense instead of trying to pursue and/or justify whatever agenda/ ulterior motive you have, you wouldn't be in this predicament. But then again, you never expected the US to administer the ass beatings they have so far.

Kali annarosi.

I am not going to analyze your views .They are your views and you are allowed to have them but i will ask you to chage your tone.As you said your self, this here is an open forum for discusions and debates,not a personal podium for people to give long speeches and tell/warn anybody with a different view that they will be subjected with ridicule.For the second and last time,lets take it down a notch,all of us please.

Chris Paul, who completely shut down Calderon and Spanoulis?

Kobe Bryant, the best player on the planet?

Dwayne Wade, arguably US's best player so far, who absolutely TORE US APART?

Or maybe Deron Williams, who would be the best guard in the world if you excluded Americans?

Plaese don't tell me Jason Kidd. He's a 35 year old token starter who plays 5 minutes a game and attempted his first shot today.

Greece's guards can't even touch the US's. None of them. That's why we got pounded. Their guards had our way with us, like they did today with Spain.

You're talking about two entirely different levels of play.

Chris Paul is perhaps the most solid guard in the tournament. Imo Bryant and Wade arent PURE guards. They are very talented talented players. THe best in the world/ But they are not Pure guards. Jason Kidd is and so is paul, but really in order to win i think us really lack that depth as "playmakers". I dunno though, Im sorta changing my opinion about this american team. Therye looking better and better everygame.

Or maybe Deron Williams, who would be the best guard in the world if you excluded Americans?

Plaese don't tell me Jason Kidd. He's a 35 year old token starter who plays 5 minutes a game and attempted his first shot today.

Greece's guards can't even touch the US's. None of them. That's why we got pounded. Their guards had our way with us, like they did today with Spain.

Chris Paul is perhaps the most solid guard in the tournament. Imo Bryant and Wade arent PURE guards. They are very talented talented players. THe best in the world/ But they are not Pure guards. Jason Kidd is and so is paul, but really in order to win i think us really lack that depth as "playmakers". I dunno though, Im sorta changing my opinion about this american team. Therye looking better and better everygame.
Again, you're confusing point guards with off guards. There is no such thing as "pure" guard. There are "pure" point guards, but no pure guards.

And Chris Paul's BACKUP is Deron Williams, who's better than any other point guard in the Olympics. By a wide margin.

Again, you're confusing point guards with off guards. There is no such thing as "pure" guard. There are "pure" point guards, but no pure guards.

And Chris Paul's BACKUP is Deron Williams, who's better than any other point guard in the Olympics. By a wide margin.

No he is not.There are point guards and shooting guards,playmakers and shooters,1-2.There is no off guard terminology.Paxiotis7 was talking about pure solid point guards,Kidd,Paul and Williams are that,while Kobe,Dwayne and Lebron are shooting starts that they just happen playing the point guard position from time to time because of there speed/creativity/talent or coaches plan.Greece is a little behind at point guard but 40 thousand miles back at the shooting guard position compared to USA.

Pretty much,i got his point..... :D :rolleyes:

No he is not.There are point guards and shooting guards,playmakers and shooters,1-2.There is no off guard terminology.Paxiotis7 was talking about pure solid point guards,Kidd,Paul and Williams are that,while Kobe,Dwayne and Lebron are shooting starts that they just happen playing the point guard position from time to time because of there speed/creativity/talent or coaches plan.Greece is a little behind at point guard but 40 thousand miles back at the shooting guard position compared to USA.

Thats exactly what I ment. And what i ment by pure guard is a pure point guard. Lets be honest though, Deron Williams is not miles better than any other guard. He may be one of the best but by no strech would i say that

Which point in the rest of the world is even comparable to Deron Williams?

Nonetheless, the terms 2 guard, off guard, and shooting guard are interchangable. They mean the same thing.

Kobe and Le Bron do NOT play the point. The offense may be initiated through them from time to time, but they do NOT play the point.

Case in point, the 90's Bulls.

They had Jordan at the two, and a whole host of others at the "point" (Paxson, Armstrong, Kerr), even though none of them was a pure point guard. Because of the Bulls triangle offense, a pure point wasn't needed at the #1 spot. What was needed was a shooter who could create the necessary floor space for Jordan & Co. That's why the Bulls brought in Kerr and Paxson and even drafted Armstrong.

Once the Bulls crossed midcourt with the ball, their offense would usually be initiated by "point forward" Scottie Pippen on either side of the floor, who had good passing skills and could see over the top of most defenses. Occasionally, you would even see Toni Kukoc in that role.

Doesn't mean Pippen or Kukoc were point guards. Simply means the half court offensive set was initiated through them. For the most part, the Bulls played without a true point guard.

australia leaped over croatia into 3rd

Even if the Argentines lose to Croatia they'll finish 3rd in the group ahead of Australia with the one point they gain as they beat Australia and thus have a better head to head record over the Aussies.

46-24 Hellas winning at the half :tup:

We're looking pretty good. I really don't like to complain when we're dominating with such a scoreline, but I'd really like to see less simple mistakes. Still seeing these ghost passes, which really shouldn't be happening with a top team like ours. I'm just imagining these mistakes happening in the quarterfinals against a quality team, and I think it might be the difference between victory and defeat. I hope Giannakis works on ball control (no slipping off the hands), making sure they pass to someone that is actually where the ball will end up at the end of the pass (instead of out of bounds), not throwing the ball into opponents hands (too many easy turnovers), and free throws.

If we're going to turn the ball over, at least make the opponent work hard to make it happen, no need to throw it into their hands.

With all that being said, Go Hellas :gr:

Still seeing these ghost passes, which really shouldn't be happening with a top team like ours.

Its Papaloukas. Hes been mediocre this tournament.

I think it really should be his last, unless we have nobody else. Hes been quite bad and a source of silly turnovers and poor shooting. He was lousy in the last Euro 07, I think his time is almost up in the national team, much like Kakiouzis, Lazaros...

Result taken though...on to Argentina. Tough game. Im not really in favour of a zone vs them. They can kill from the outside 3 pointers, we need to seriously shut them down.

Maybe its time for our revenge this time, for losing to them in Athens :gr:

IMO, of what I know - its a wild card.....

We can definitley win if were playing well. We can definitley lose too if were careless....Its going to come down to our defense, and how good both teams are from shooting outside.

The nice thing is, we lost - but only to the very likley two best teams this year. I dont think any team will stop Spain or USA from getting to the final. Lithuania did find a way to stop Argentina, so thats reassuring. Were going to have to be on our game and shut them down. We can do it, but if we play crap ball were going home for sure. Argentina is not as strong as Spain, but can still punish us.

My odds are anything can happen, it should be a very good game -could be Greece by 15, Argentina by 15 - I could seriously see anything at this point.

Best of luck to the Greek team, its a huge game for us. :gr:

It appears that there are some questions as to China's coaches tactics in the game against us. According to NBC here in the States, Yao was quite perturbed with the Lithuanian coach of China's NT for sitting him during a large part of the game versus Greece. It appears the coach was engaging in exactly the type of shenanigans that were whispered about regarding us before this game-namely "jockeying" for a better quarterfinal draw.

If that's the case, thumbs down to him. And congrats to Giannakis and the boys for going for the win. :tup:

Archived