Phantis Forums

Basketball - Beijing

i realized Yao didnt play that much, but I dont think he would have really made the difference. The ball wasnt going to get to him that game, Greece plays (and played last time in 06) to close out Yao Ming from getting anything.

China's best performance in the game was 2nd half where they started nailing all their 3's after going 0/12 (i beleive). They definitley tried to amount a comeback and lowered it down to 10pts.

China fought 2nd half, they really just werent enough. They wont be too disapointed with the loss but Lithuania/Argentina are both going to beat China without too much trouble IMO.

Jockeying for a better draw sounds a bit silly. It is NBC, so go figure.

China was not going to win that game. I dont think they tried to miss 12 3 pointers. First period, of what I saw Chinese gave an effort and try and win.

They wanted Lithuania that is a very difficult team who finished top of their group beating out Argentina? Yao in a game with Bouroussis and Tsartsaris on top of him virtually all game, is not going to be that effective, and is going to tire him out to top it all off. Greece forced them to play outside the area, and Chinese dont have great shooters to keep them in the game that way. 2nd half they caught fire however from the 3's.

Anyways, I think Lithuania will be heading to the SemiFinals after they are done with China. Greece is going to have to go through Argentina and Lithuania at minimum to get a medal.

BTW:

Highlights of the Match:

www.eurovisionsports.tv

Scroll down to higlights by sport, select basketball, click GRE-CHN

needs adobe Flash plugin and internet explorer.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched a bit of the game early on

The coach may have been plling some m*****es -- but it wouldnt have mattered, the Chinese are too slow and dont match up well against us

Here are my predictions -- All teams from our group will win their next game US Spain Ellas and China

Thanks guys. I actually would have preferred the earlier (8am EST) start. This 10:15am slot is smack dab in the middle of the workday.

Argentina will not be a cakewalk that's for sure. Still, I fear them less than years past for two reasons: I think they are not as good as the 2004 champs, and I think we are better. I still prefer them over Croatia and Lithuania, though.

Ela paidia! Let's beat the defending champs, then anything becomes possible.

Watched a bit of the game early on

The coach may have been plling some m*****es -- but it wouldnt have mattered, the Chinese are too slow and dont match up well against us

Here are my predictions -- All teams from our group will win their next game US Spain Ellas and China

I agree, in 10 games, we beat China 9 times.

But I think Spain is taking an early exit this tournament (in the quarters), not impressed with them at all, and plus they must be rattled from the thrashing they took from the US. I also think China has made it as far as they will make it.

In these 4 matchups, the underdogs can pull upsets, even Australia against the USA. The USA beat them by 11 points in a friendly and only led by 7 points midway through the 4th quarter and Australia was without their best player, center Andrew Bogut. Greece will play as underdog against Argentina. Croatia can be a tricky team and are facing Spain while China will be at home against top team of Division B, Lithuania, and we'll see how they perform there.

I just got a good laugh the ChinaNT coach wanted to sit Yao so they can come 4th and get a better draw? :LOL: I have news for them, whether they played Argentina or Lithuania they were going to lose against either team.

Worth noting that the coach of China is former Lithuanian star Jonas Kazlauskas, so if anyone knows the Lithuanians, it's them ;) Lithuania has been tough in this tournament (except against Australia where they evidently blew off the game) but I wouldn't be too surprised to see China with an upset. That would also bode well for us, as we may end up facing China in the third place game if that happens, assuming we get past Argentina and lose in the semifinal.

Im still holding out hope that Australia can beat America and we can win.

It may make our life easier, but personally I prefer our path to gold to pass by the USA. After all to be the best, you have to beat the (alleged) best.

Lithuania is always a threat too. And could be trouble for us or any other of the top sides. Not to dredge up the past but weren't they the side that gave Dream Team 2000 nightmares, losing gold on a missed 3-point shot at the buzzer. I know I know, that was 8 years ago, but they regularly prove they're the strongest vestige of the former Soviet teams.

Australia will not beat USA. Dont count on that. USA just breezed through the group, Australia will be happy to even make the top 4.

Id rather get any medal we can get. Afterall, we dont have any medals in Olympic basketball yet. A bronze would still be a victory. We do have a silver in the WC (same thing), but not technically in the Olympics.

Everybody is left is a tough opponent. I dont see China, Australia, Croatia making it anywhere to meet Greece though. But it would be awesome for our medal chances if any of those can pull an upset. Very doubtful though.

well Lithuania and Spain went through pretty easily, as one would predict.......there was no way China was going to beat any of the top teams this tournament. Spain was close, but so far at the same time. The hosts did give a good show though, they made it out of the group and did fine.

Dont doubt USA will be there to meet Greece or Argentina..........

If we make it through, were looking at a Lithunia/Spain bronze medal match unless we can beat USA.

I'm watching the USA vs Aus. It's 25-24 at the end of the 1st quarter to the US.

Aus have fought back really well after being 14-5 down.

I don't really watch bball so don't understand the lingo, but the commentators are saying that the majority of the US's points in this tournament have come from transitional basketball and they were saying from the very first game the US played at the Olympics that it would be interesting to see what would happen if their opponents were playing half-court against them. Apparently that's what Australia are doing and are causing them problems... I have no idea what any of this means btw. Is transitional play like counter-attacking? And half-court means defending your own half?

Anyway, what I've noticed is that the US can't shoot for s%$#!. All their points come froms dunks and lay-ups. Not sure if they're having a bad game in that respect or if they simply aren't that good at mid-range and long-range shooting.

Dwight Howard looks v.good and there's an Aussie called Mills who's class too. They've been the MVP's so far imo.

Kobe Bryant's just come on and "G****" as we say... 37-30 to the US so far in the 2nd quarter and Aus have just called a time out.

Transition basketball means that you're rebounding the ball on the defensive end of the court and running it downcourt and attacking your basket without running a set offense.

Don't know where you're watching the game, but most teams so far have played half court d against the US, except for Spain in the second half.

btw, its a 12 point lead at halftime for the US.

and they're playing crap defense. No intensity whatsoever.

Transition basketball means that you're rebounding the ball on the defensive end of the court and running it downcourt and attacking your basket without running a set offense.

Ok... so it is like a swift counter attack?

Don't know where you're watching the game, but most teams so far have played half court d against the US, except for Spain in the second half.

I'm watching the BBC's coverage of the game. Some dude who used to play in the NBA is commentating.

Btw, do you support the US in bball?

I support Greece FIRST, then the US.

But I'm also a realist.

Well I know my opinion doesn't mean much because I'm clueless, but from what I've seen USA are miles ahead of anyone else. I think Spain are a distant 2nd. And then Greece, Lithuania, and Argentina are "isodinames omades".

Archived