Phantis Forums

Basketball - Beijing

Papaloukas has always had attention from nba teams but never wanted to go. Why would he? He gets more money and playing time when he was in russia. Now that hes back in greece he will be more comfortable and loved by the fans. Theres no reason to see him in the nba, although it would be interesting to see what he could have done a few years ago in his prime. As for diamantidis, a really unic style. It would be interesting to see how he would do in the nba. With Tj Ford gone from the raptors they do need a new point guard. Anyone on greeece could fit in well with the raptors, spanoulis diamantidis and papaloukas. But id say the only one who would come is diamantidis. But with all the talks about players heading from america to europe, you might not see too many euros playing in the nba.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Papaloukas NBA seriously? At this age???

Hes almost finished. Not starting anymore for Greece, CSKA and not the player he used to be.

Anyways today play USA....Hopefully we upset them..and maybe then they can learn to at least shut their mouths ! Dont see it happening today. Were underprepared, we dont need it....Recipe for disaster, I hope it just stays competitive.

Hi,

Im new here and before i begin i'd like to say hi and also sorry if links cannot be posted on the main board.

As i'am from Australia i have had to find other alternatives to watch Greece play as our Olympics channel is useless although tonight they're showing Greece/USA but it'll probably be interrupted by the swimming heats or 50000 replays of the Aussie swimmers winning gold. :rolleyes:

Anyway here comes the link part i've watched both our matches against Spain (spanish commentary) and Germany (english commentary) on a site called justintv http://www.justin.tv/directory?category=sports, our match against the US might or might not show up. And this site im about to pass on is fantastic, its great for NBA matches, football matches and i've watched different Olympics basketball matches on here but they (Olympic matches) dont have commentary just the sound of the crowd cheering. http://www.channelsurfing.net/ < If you dont see the Greece/USA link when you press the link just press NEXT underneath where it says Click NEXT for a list of tomorrows events.

Enjoy.

what time will this game be showing in Australia?

The match is on at 10pm in Australia but they skipped to the Swimming during the 1st quarter which was predictable, so im watching it on channelsurfing without commentary but the sound of the crowd which is better than nothing.

Papaloukas NBA seriously? At this age???

Hes almost finished. Not starting anymore for Greece, CSKA and not the player he used to be.

Anyways today play USA....Hopefully we upset them..and maybe then they can learn to at least shut their mouths ! Dont see it happening today. Were underprepared, we dont need it....Recipe for disaster, I hope it just stays competitive.

Ah, the excuses are starting already.

I thought you said this Greek team was ready? You know, how we drubbed everyone preceding this tourney, how we've added better players, etc......

The US is terrible. Haven't won anything in 8 years.

No IQ. No skills.

Why would they be favorites over us?

btw, I said Papaloukas game is more suited to the NBA. He might be on the downside of his career, but he's still more suited for the NBA than the undersized combo guard Spanoulis.

Why would he be too old at 31? Jason Kidd is 35.

How do we expect for greece to compete for a medal when they always crumble and get run out of the court when they play the juggernauts of b ball like spain usa.

Its fine and dandy to whip gemany croatia ext...................

Jesus arent we ranked 6th in the world in ball play like it

i said blow out 20 plus right on track

Greeces problem so manny years free throws and 3 point shooting miserable

If you miss that only wat to compete with the big boys

Look this a preliminary game

The us is extremely talented and are obviously favorites in any game thy play, most of us thought this would be a blowout, the US if up can destroy anyone

especially with no pressure on them

Does the game start at midnight Greek time?

Judging by my calculations it should be 5pm in Athens shortly and it is 12am in Melbourne, Australia. The match against Angola begins at 11am Melbourne time so going 7 hours back the match will be at 4am Athens time.

Guys, it's only a preliminary match. I'm one of the biggest "doubters" (realists is a better word) regarding Team USA, and I still thought that Team USA would come away with the win. They played great ball, had revenge on their minds, and came in with the luxury of having had their two easiest opponents (China and Angola) in the first two matches.

This was not a vital game for us. As wonderful as it would have been to beat Team USA again or come very close to doing so, all we need to do is beat China and Angola and get on to the knockout matches. That was true before the match against Team USA, and it is still true today. I'd rather save the team's energy and effort for those matches which really matter, than a preliminary matchup against Team USA, especially when there is a very good chance we might play them again. And if we do play Team USA again, the pressure will be on them, not us, to exorcise the demons and make it to the final. We're not *expected* to make it to the final, arguably not even to the semifinals with all the other quality teams in the tournament. They are.

I think, like true typical Greek fans, we are overreacting both to wins and losses. Beating Germany by a large margin is not a good reason to suddenly expect us to be worldbeaters and a lock for a medal, but losing to Spain and Team USA, especially in the preliminary rounds where the matches do not have great significance other than just getting through to the medal rounds, is not a disaster by any means.

It's also pretty unfair to say that Greece hasn't proven that it can "hang" with the top teams. Taking Spain out of the picture....the last two times we have played Team USA, we beat them once and lost by a close margin in the other match. We've only played Argentina once in the past few years, in Athens, and lost by a very close margin...it went down to the final minute. We've beaten Russia in recent years. Spain has given us a world of trouble but even then, we came this close to beating them on their own floor last year in the Euros. Lithuania has given us trouble, but we've only played them twice, I believe, in recent years....last year in the 3rd place game in the Euro, which was fairly close despite the fact that the undermanned Greek team was a train wreck by that game, and in the Athens Olympics, when Lithuania just couldn't miss a three pointer all game.

If I were Team USA, I would obviously be mostly satisfied with the way the team has looked so far and particularly for beating Greece. But again, I would reserve full judgment for the medal round, when the games get tougher and the pressure rises. Even in 2006, they were undefeated before they ran into us in the semifinals. So it's far too early to make a judgment about them, or anyone in the tournament for that matter.

where to begin on this one..

99-15 or 99-98 counts the same amnt of points. Greece was not too pressured, they gave a go an failed.

Were looking at Argentina next round...A huge game indeed (after China and Angola of course).

Exactly. We played tough in the first quarter, Team USA raised the stakes in the second quarter, the shots weren't falling for us, and we called it a night. Despite that we didn't let the game get completely out of hand. I'm not ashamed of -23. Consider that Team USA *wanted* this match from the moment we beat them in 2006. They NEEDED to win this match. A loss against us may not have eliminated them from the medal rounds on paper, but it is pretty clear, with all the importance placed on this game back in the US, that it would have likely had similar results to Team USA's drubbing versus Puerto Rico at the Olympics, mentally. They did what they had to do.

On the other hand, we didn't need this game, and we didn't need to prove anything to the world, particularly in the preliminary rounds. It would have been pretty pointless to go 100% against a determined Team USA for a match that won't have any bearing on the medal rounds.

Let's not forget that even in the 2002 and 2006 Worlds, Team USA went undefeated to the medal rounds. It only takes one bad game when it really matters and poof...you have another failure.

In the other group, Lithuania beat Russia and Argentina defeated Croatia pretty handily. Lithuania is first, Argentina and Croatia are both 2-1, and Russia is underachieving so far at 1-2. Australia is also 1-2 but I do think Russia will come out of the group and not Australia, though you never really know what can happen.

On some other forums that I read, some Greek fans are already speculating whether it would be "better" for us to finish 4th instead of 3rd. A 4th place finish would most likely mean a matchup against Lithuania, followed by a matchup against Spain. A 3rd place finish would mean Argentina or Croatia (less likely) followed by Team USA. Any thoughts?

That's my feeling too. Lithuania always seems to have great games against us, going all the way back to the 90s....I remember us losing against them in the Eurobasket 95 in Greece, at the Olympics in Atlanta, at the Olympics in Athens when they couldn't miss a three pointer even if they were blindfolded, last year in the 3rd place game at the Eurobasket, I think also at the Eurobasket '99 or '01. I recall a couple of wins, I believe in the Eurobasket '97 and at the Acropolis Tournament a few years ago, but I may be forgetting others.

The ironic thing is that while Lithuania has been a powerhouse, they haven't reached the top in any competition in the past decade or so...they made a few finals but always seem to end up losing in the end. So in essence we've had more success than them, but not in head to head matchups.

Doesn't mean we can't beat them, but I do feel our chances are better against Argentina and especially Russia, who we have also had some recent success with.

Guys, it's only a preliminary match. I'm one of the biggest "doubters" (realists is a better word) regarding Team USA, and I still thought that Team USA would come away with the win. They played great ball, had revenge on their minds, and came in with the luxury of having had their two easiest opponents (China and Angola) in the first two matches.

This was not a vital game for us. As wonderful as it would have been to beat Team USA again or come very close to doing so, all we need to do is beat China and Angola and get on to the knockout matches. That was true before the match against Team USA, and it is still true today. I'd rather save the team's energy and effort for those matches which really matter, than a preliminary matchup against Team USA, especially when there is a very good chance we might play them again. And if we do play Team USA again, the pressure will be on them, not us, to exorcise the demons and make it to the final. We're not *expected* to make it to the final, arguably not even to the semifinals with all the other quality teams in the tournament. They are.

I think, like true typical Greek fans, we are overreacting both to wins and losses. Beating Germany by a large margin is not a good reason to suddenly expect us to be worldbeaters and a lock for a medal, but losing to Spain and Team USA, especially in the preliminary rounds where the matches do not have great significance other than just getting through to the medal rounds, is not a disaster by any means.

It's also pretty unfair to say that Greece hasn't proven that it can "hang" with the top teams. Taking Spain out of the picture....the last two times we have played Team USA, we beat them once and lost by a close margin in the other match. We've only played Argentina once in the past few years, in Athens, and lost by a very close margin...it went down to the final minute. We've beaten Russia in recent years. Spain has given us a world of trouble but even then, we came this close to beating them on their own floor last year in the Euros. Lithuania has given us trouble, but we've only played them twice, I believe, in recent years....last year in the 3rd place game in the Euro, which was fairly close despite the fact that the undermanned Greek team was a train wreck by that game, and in the Athens Olympics, when Lithuania just couldn't miss a three pointer all game.

If I were Team USA, I would obviously be mostly satisfied with the way the team has looked so far and particularly for beating Greece. But again, I would reserve full judgment for the medal round, when the games get tougher and the pressure rises. Even in 2006, they were undefeated before they ran into us in the semifinals. So it's far too early to make a judgment about them, or anyone in the tournament for that matter.

It was a flat out ass beating.

We're not in the American's league, especially THIS American team (not the '06 version).

Funny how when we lose it was a "meaningless" game, but when we win we're an omadara.

Fact is, the US has beaten three of Europe's four best teams by an average margin of 26 in a span of two weeks or so. And they've beaten China by 30 and Canada by 55. If it was Greece doing this, we would all be doing cartwheels down Syggrou and proclaiming ourselves the best in the world.

The US has NOTHING to prove to anyone. They're the best team in the world with the best palyers in the world, by a WIDE margin.

Good thing this wasnt played with NBA rules or else we would have lost by 40-50.

Sadly, I don't think the Americans are playing anywhere near maximum capacity. They were horrendous from the 3 point line and beloe average from the line.

And jsut think, this team has only been togerther for two years and is comprised mostly of players under 26 years of age. Wait till the next Olympics when they add Derek Rose, Greg Oden, OJ Mayo, and Michael Beasely, among others.

If we can muster a bronze, it would be phenomenal.

This was not a vital game for us.

I'd rather save the team's energy and effort for those matches which really matter, than a preliminary matchup against Team USA, especially when there is a very good chance we might play them again.

Then why were Spanoulis and Co. on the floor till the final whistle, while Coach K emptied his bench (Tayshaun Prince anyone?) and played a zone?

Come off it man-every greek out there wanted to win this game. They're simply a LOT better.

We're not going to catch lightning in a bottle twice and score 101 on them. Meanwhile, they pretty much scored the same amount of points as last time. 90+.

Simply put, they underestimated us last time and weren't ready-not the case this time. Has nothing to do with whether or not WE wanted the game. When they want to play defense, its game, set, and match.

Archived