Phantis Forums

Greece - Italy

dark_horse

I agree Tzorvas was excellent and should be our starting GK. Ninis should have started, and Koutsianikoulis should have been given a chance since he was called, but this is Otto, so what do you expect? Common sense? Salp was no good and we have better forwards so there's no point in calling him back. Remember the cross from the right and the shot he tried from the middle? I mean, that was like grade school crap. If you have enough creative mids that can deliver to Gekas, it can work. If you have a bunch of DM's, forget it. Mantzios must stay since we have no other striker w/ his skill and creativity. Papas looked good...Dellas looked like he was ready for a nap. This performance and line up was at least closer to what we should have been doing, and what CAN be done. Both teams were casual, played like it was a friendly but created good plays. Hopefully with some luck we'll see a similar line up for the upcoming qualifiers.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the match in full replay and ended up getting into work late yesterday.

What I saw was in many phases more of the what we're used to. However, there were some very positive points that leaves me with a little bit of hope for the short term.

Katsouranis was far from consistent, but he showed some real determination in parts of the match.

I liked how at one point in the middle of the field he received a pass and was under very close marking pressue from 2 Italians, but he turned both players inside and with a clever pass around the closer player he created space which he used well.

Also he played more box to box as a true central midfielder and had 2 decent chances. The hearder in the 1st half from Spyropoulos' cross should have been in the net. The guy is nearly 30 which is a shame as I feel he had the potential to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. Alas he sucumbed to mediocrity and we only ever saw part of what he was capable of.

Another positive was Sokratis. The guy should be the first name on the team sheet. He can play at this level and he doesn't mind the physical stuff. He just needs to learn not to give away silly fouls and also be closer at marking his opponent.

Tzorvas showed he is probably the best Greek keeper in the league. He was great. He can use both feet and he seems a lot safer collecting crosses and making saves than Nikopolidi ever was. He seems very cool and calm. He is another guy who should be starting as No 1 every match.

Mantzios was without support in the 1st half and like some have said I think he can play with another forward like Gekas. They can play off each other. Mantzios has the skill and ability to hold defenders off him wile others can run off him. Also he put away a good chance which was slightly offside, but just shows he can finish.

Gekas showed that when he is in form, he is as good as any striker when it comes to finishing.

Some of the negatives are that Vyntra confirmed to me that he is mediocre. I don't watch many PAO matches, but from what their supporters say, the dude has no future at PAO let alone on the NT.

Basinas was fine when the match was at a walking pace but he doesn't have the speed or stamina to match the quicker and skilfull sides. His use is limited on the NT.

Salpingidis was horrible. The worst player on the pitch. He couldn't put in one decent cross. Why on earth does Otto bother with him?!!? He's not having a great season for club or definitely not for country.

Which leads me onto the issues with Otto.

1) Why did he wait till the 89th minute to put on Ninis and Pliatsikas?

2) Why didn't he use Torosidis?

3) Why didn't he use Koutsianikolis? He called him into the squad to just have water polo training with the big boys?

I've been a long time critic of Otto and I dont think he can lead us to the WC which is a real shame as we have a gift of a group. I just hope whomever replaces Otto has the big picture in mind and stops with the better-the-devil-you-know school of management that Otto has been following the last 4 years.

Well this is what I've been saying for ages. We have talent, we have really good players and the possibility is there to create a fine team. Some people have posted the opposite; we don't have quality players so we can't have a decent team. Absolutely NOT TRUE, and anyone that carries that opinion apparently isn't paying attention or just doesn't understand football. The thing is you need a coach who is willing to take chances and who is sincere with there efforts. Thats not Otto (I'm making my retirement money) Rehhagel.

Archived