Phantis Forums

Otto should leave

Clover22

You know maybe Gagatsis should leave too. There's no logic in keeping Otto especially after he never took responsibility for the teams lousy performance. Do these guys want to take several steps backward? Do they want to lose games, is that it?

Guest TheLegend

we dropped 10 places in the world standings. we are now behind bulgaria.. lol this is great we just look like another random bum ass team again...

If rehagel wants to earn his position to stay for the WC if we qualify, in my opinion, we must get through with all wins and maybe a tie or 2 with swiss and israel away any losses or ties to any small teams is unaceptable and rehagel must build a team for this WC

Here is my reason why Otto has to go." And to reply to those who say "Where was greek soccer before Otto?"

Otto has not taken any blame. At least Donadoni of Italy said before the tournament I will resign if Italy does not make it into the quarterfinals. Now that is honour and that is the standard.

Let's look at some statements Otto has made:

1) After the game with Sweden: " I did not tell the players to play the ball back all the time"

" I do not have the players Germany has, if we did not play 5 at the back we would have taken 5 goals"

Wow what a coach who has confidence in his players and stands up for them.

2) After the loss with Russia: "The Acropolis will still be there after we are gone" Then walks away from the press conference. Why do we need to here this? Otto thinks he is superior to us because of his German race, but he fails to realize that when the Greeks were building empires and cities the Germans were running around half naked looking for food.

Where was Greek soccer before Otto : 1971 Champions League : PAO were finalists

1980 Qualified for Euro our first tournament entry

1994 WC though a disaster we qualified first in our group.

1996 PAO Semi finalist in Champions League

1999 Oly Quaterfinalist in Champions League

2003 AEK goes undefeated in Champions League 6 ties

1999 U-21 Euro Finalists the players Otto would eventualy use.

Oh and as for this year didn't Oly beat the stuffing out of Werder Bremen in the Champions league this year among other quality Euro teams?

There are many more good examples, those who actualy report to this forum and ACTUALLY WATCH GREEK SOCCER ON REGULAR BASIS COULD PROBABLY mention more achievements. But anyways let's stop listening to the Greeks who just watch soccer when they hear Greece's has qualified for a tournament.

We who study and watch Greek soccer know Otto has to go!!!!!!!!!! Like the poster said above he spends too much time in Germany RATHER THAN SCOUTING FOR GREEK TALENT. Plus he has nothing to lose Otto is 70 years old, why should he care? That's not even a cynical statement, why should he care?

Good posts and I don't think anyone can argue with these points. And yeah, why should he care at this time with the amount of money he's making; it seems like he's just "coasting". Again his comments are outrageous and a bit insulting. "I don't have the players like Germany" give me a break if he bothered to watch the Greek League he'd see who there is. Too many Shnitzels, Otto? I disagree though with the idea that we can't do anything about this. The fans can definitely take action and apply pressure.

dark horse yeah good post on the games before Otto. More examples: PAO were also CL semi finalists in 1985, AEK semis in 77; you know whats interesting is the fact that the NT very nearly made it to the 1970 WC; they had a game toward the end but they screwed up against our old pals Portugal. I think they just needed a tie. Also Hatzipanagis would have made a huge difference to the NT but because of that idiotic rule back then (he played 1 game for under 21 Russia? Give me a break!)

i'm still willing to give otto the first 2 qualifiers in september to gauge the direction of the side and if otto's current under the weather football philosophy has seen the light.

- stick with spyropoulos as left fullback in any scheme

- get rid of katsouranis as the holding central midfielder

- phase out basinas

- otto needs to earn his salary and either correct his mistake or the central mids' mistake in it's poor spacing/positioning and play.

- be more flexible in call-ups in terms of greek players ignored in europe and young greek doemstic talent.

i'm still willing to give otto the first 2 qualifiers in september to gauge the direction of the side and if otto's current under the weather football philosophy has seen the light.

- stick with spyropoulos as left fullback in any scheme

- get rid of katsouranis as the holding central midfielder

- phase out basinas

- otto needs to earn his salary and either correct his mistake or the central mids' mistake in it's poor spacing/positioning and play.

- be more flexible in call-ups in terms of greek players ignored in europe and young greek doemstic talent.

Archived