Phantis Forums

Greece v. Spain @ Euro 2008

athinaios

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Amanatidis is wasting all these shots by missing by a mile.

come on.....we have gotten opportunities,

Maybe we have a different definition on this. I would call opportunity a near miss, something with high potential of having the ball end in the back of the net. I wouldn't call missing by a mile from a shot taken out of the box an "opportunity." But OK... Maybe I'll concede 1 or 2. Still pathetic

oh come on this was not pitiful...we dont have a strong defense this year..it didnt happen.....we knew this wasnt our year, well be reknewed in form and some additions by 2010 lets hope for the WC......they gave their best, they tried to go forward....

You people can give up on this team, but Greece will always suprise you positiviley or negatively. After 94 why didnt we give up? Ten years later 2004 we make it with a strong team ready for a tournament and we go beyond our wildest expectations.....2008 we knew we werent great........its a tournament, half the teams go home.....

anyways I feel Spain is going home Italy has had their warning, and Spain looks the same as every tournament......Strong start, going progressively down, and when they face a team like Italy who has very strong defense and midfield they will go home.

losers!! we finish with 0 pts....

we couldn't grind out a draw starting out with a 1-0 lead. How can we ever play to win when we rarely have any shots on goal. Any good chances we do have is typically wasted.

We need serious work...Gagatsis should recycle Otto.

2004 we make it with a strong team ready for a tournament and we go beyond our wildest expectations.....2008 we knew we werent great

Only team in the whole tournament to finish with 0 points. what a terrible Euro. This is something you look back and try to erase from the history books because it was so forgettable.

It's time for new blood and a new formation.

What a horrible humiliation we have suffered. I am so sad. Even after Charisteas scored, I knew they would mess up and they did. There are defeats and defeats. There are defeats were you pick yourself up and move on and defeats which destroy you. I think confidence is so bad that we'll lose to Israel and Switzerland.

A

What a horrible humiliation we have suffered. I am so sad. Even after Charisteas scored, I knew they would mess up and they did. There are defeats and defeats. There are defeats were you pick yourself up and move on and defeats which destroy you. I think confidence is so bad that we'll lose to Israel and Switzerland.

A

Same here, especially if Otto keeps up with the usual players in the same positions...

OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM:: We can't score from open play. Does anyone even remember the last time??? We have no attacking midfielders and no competent strikers (Gekas and Samaras included)

2004 to 2008 = 4 years. 4 wasted years. We could have started with the restructuring of the National team. Instead we have a team where everybody is like a government employee (dimosioi ypalliloi, monimades) -- they have a place in the team whether they are capable of playing or not. We are pitiful because we see that we are worthless and we don't how to fix it. We had 4 years since 2004 to start fixing things. 4 damn years. Instead we'll go into the 2010 WC playoffs with a bunch of players that should have been kicked off ages ago!

Greece finishes in 5th place in Group D.

Final Standings

Spain team 1

Russia

Sweden

Spain team 2

Greece

This is not all bad however because it shows everyone that Greece must get younger and faster. It was clear vs all the teams they played but especially against Spain.

However to get younger and faster you must first play the younger and faster players. Let them make mistakes and let them learn.

Changes have to be made now regarding the outlook for this team. Nobody expected them to repeat as Euro champions but finishing last without a point and only scoring against another team's backup players means that it's out with the old and in with the new.

Let's hope Otto sees it that way too.

the big losers of this tournament are the overreacting fans.

I've been asking for younger and faster players for the last four years and especially after the WC qualifications. That is not an overreaction.

This team is old and slow. Just about everyone else in the world sees this and I'm wondering why Greek management doesn't.

I've been asking for younger and faster players for the last four years and especially after the WC qualifications. That is not an overreaction.

This team is old and slow. Just about everyone else in the world sees this and I'm wondering why Greek management doesn't.

so have I man.........im not saying the team isnt old or doesnt need work im saying the fans are totally overreacting about losing unluckily to Russia and Spain....we put 2 strong efforts but it didnt happen.....thats football. Now its time for a lot of players to move on...

The team in this EURO was all bad news. Too old, too slow, badly conditioned, badly prepared, and badly coached.

I am not sure what kind of football we are playing any longer. At least in EURO 04 there was an identity to the team. This time it seems to me that there was no plan. It's as if the coach left everyone alone to figure it out.

One of the worst aspects of our game this EURO was our defensive play. Playing 4-flat requires speed, and mastering the offside trap. This defense did not play the offside trap at all, which tells me they didn't practice it. This put the whole team in our box for long stretches of the game. We are lucky we were not embarrassed in any of the games.

It's just as well. Now we get to watch the rebuilding process with some of the young talented players we all want to see play. Unfortunately, at this moment, this rebuilding has the potential to pose as many questions as it answers. Several major issues plague this team and they were apparent in these three games.

Greece does not have players that can compete at such level in key positions: Goalkeeper, AM, and CF.

Now let's sit back and watch some exciting play from the real contenders without the distractions.

Archived