Phantis Forums

Greece v. Spain @ Euro 2008

athinaios

the last hurrah against spain - i think otto has now been caught with his lederhosen down - by not bringing papastathopoulos and ninis. this would have been the perfect match to expose these players...a non-pressure match against a majority spain 'b' side.

how interesting it would have been to see papastathopoulos partner kyrgiakos at the centerback position and ninis (besides the aged stelios) the only greek player than can play at right wide forward...as ninis possesses the proto-typical skillset of a wide forward.

this isn't the pipefitters' union where seniority demands a last 'hurrah' appearance - save that s%$#! for a friendly - for players such as nikopolidis/goumas/antzas or stelios. this is the greek national team, that needs to move on and progress.

who knows what otto will do against spain, seitaridis and gekas are injured, karagounis is playing with a knock on his knee and i highly doubt that tzorvas will play. i'd like to see a 4-3-1-2:

------------------------------------------tzorvas---------------------------------------------

torosidis----------------------goumas------------kyrgiakos------------------spyropoulos

-------------------------------------------tziolis----------------------------------------------

----------------------------katsouranis------------basinas----------------------------------

------------------------------------------samaras--------------------------------------------

----------------------------salpiggidis-------------amanatidis------------------------------

the 'target-man' type football seemed to work for the greek offense in the 1st half against russia. those knock-downs and flick-ons are a great substitute for a greek side that struggles to string 4 passes together going forward to get greek possession in the opponent's 1/3 of the pitch.

i also hope that otto tells katsouranis to get his ass in gear and run and support box to box - no more holding central midfield position for him. let's see what tziolis can do playing as the holding midfielder.

i'm anxious to see torosidis on his natural side and foot, to see how spyropoulos and tziolis do, if samaras can play as a target-man - with support from katsouranis and basinas - hopefully the same support that basinas and patsa gave lymbe, and to see if salpi and amanatidis can play off of samaras.

- i also enjoy listening to spain's national anthem. looking forward to hearing it again.

Yes, Otto has been caught with his lederhosen down, so what?? The Brandenburg Gate has been standing for over 200 years! And it will still be their when Otto is gone; don't you understand this????? hmmmm???

Your tactics are Okay, but I don't see Charisteas. Where is Charisteas??? We can't play against Spain without Aggelos!! And Torosidis is on the right..never!!! Patzatzoglou now plays on the right. And why is Tzorvas there?? After Nikopolidis retires, Charisteas will be our new goalkeeper.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if we dont score a goal, i d say there would be a similar taste. lets not forget our group in the world cup was first class opposition. argentina is always class. bulgaria had its best team ever that year, eliminated holders germany and went to the semis. nigeria had a strong team also. our euro group isnt as strong i d say.

another thing we shoudlntforget when we compare ethnikis of the past. as holders we had a fairly easy qualification. its a self fulfilling prophecy. you win the thing, get a good draw and advance in rankings because your up against easier opposition than you would be without the euro. i can t blame greece not qualifying for the world cup 02 being grouped with england AND germany. i do blame them for not going in a group with turkey and the ukraine.

True about the world class competition but, boys remember how clueless we were in the US - we had no right wearing our boots, let alone the blue and white --- we would need to lose by 5 to even think of comparing this team to the US

0-4 Argentina

0-4 Bulgaria

0-2 Nigeria -- in that game Nigeria was up 0-1 and then when they needed a 2nd goal to move into the next round they scored within minutes- they could have had a few more if they wanted

We had 1 chance in 3 games --Kofidis???? vs Nigeria - maybe somebody remebers better than I

Anyway if we eat 5 we should pull out of WC qualifying

Ah, yes 94! I was in 8th grade at the time, and I remember telling my friends how good the Greek team is and how we will win the world cup :blink:

Actually, our world cup record wasn't bad; technically we finished with 3pts after Argentina was disqualified due to Maradonas' indiscretions (i.e. sniff..sniff..snort.. snort.) So we may not even achieve this tomorrow!!

Spain 3 - Greece 0

True about the world class competition but, boys remember how clueless we were in the US -  we had no right wearing our boots, let alone the blue and white --- we would need to lose by 5 to even think of comparing this team to the US

true! i just thought the cluelessness was due to top opposition. but i think you are right.

@as5664: maradona was disqualified, argentina wasnt. sadly, we didnt get any points either...

in any case we will need to score against spain!!!

2-2

---Nikopolidis--

Patsa-Della-Kyrgiakos-Spyropoulos

Kara-Tsiolis-Kats -Basinas

--Salpigidis-Amantidis

I just finshed typing that and realize that if that is the lineup we will lose by a dozen

ela re Nikopolidis save us -- you owe us

2-2

---Nikopolidis--

Patsa-Della-Kyrgiakos-Spyropoulos

Kara-Tsiolis-Kats -Basinas

--Salpigidis-Amantidis

I just finshed typing that and realize that if that is the lineup we will lose by a dozen

ela re Nikopolidis save us -- you owe us

I'll take that result!

That's all I asked for before the tournament

Is too much for us to be competitive and at least score?

Mono auto zhtaw.

Just break a sweat paidia. Unlike that idiot Basinas who so cynically claimed about the fans expectations....I NEVER expected us to even reach the quarters.

All I wanted was this:

HELLAS - SWE 1-1

HELLAS - RUS 0-0

HELLAS - SPA 2-2

3 draws. 3 goals scored. We go home with our heads held high.

Not that rubbish that Otto dished up with 8 defenders against a weak and impotent Sweden!!!!

During qualifiers Sweden could only manage 3 goals in each of the matches against Liechtenstein. They even conceded to them and we had our manager saying that if he didn't line up with 8 men behind the ball at all times we would have been hammered 5 nil?!?!? :nono:

if we dont score a goal, i d say there would be a similar taste. lets not forget our group in the world cup was first class opposition. argentina is always class. bulgaria had its best team ever that year, eliminated holders germany and went to the semis. nigeria had a strong team also. our euro group isnt as strong i d say.

another thing we shoudlntforget when we compare ethnikis of the past. as holders we had a fairly easy qualification. its a self fulfilling prophecy. you win the thing, get a good draw and advance in rankings because your up against easier opposition than you would be without the euro. i can t blame greece not qualifying for the world cup 02 being grouped with england AND germany. i do blame them for not going in a group with turkey and the ukraine.

True about the world class competition but, boys remember how clueless we were in the US - we had no right wearing our boots, let alone the blue and white --- we would need to lose by 5 to even think of comparing this team to the US

0-4 Argentina

0-4 Bulgaria

0-2 Nigeria -- in that game Nigeria was up 0-1 and then when they needed a 2nd goal to move into the next round they scored within minutes- they could have had a few more if they wanted

We had 1 chance in 3 games --Kofidis???? vs Nigeria - maybe somebody remebers better than I

Anyway if we eat 5 we should pull out of WC qualifying

Ah, yes 94! I was in 8th grade at the time, and I remember telling my friends how good the Greek team is and how we will win the world cup :blink:

Actually, our world cup record wasn't bad; technically we finished with 3pts after Argentina was disqualified due to Maradonas' indiscretions (i.e. sniff..sniff..snort.. snort.) So we may not even achieve this tomorrow!!

Spain 3 - Greece 0

What!? Greece got 3 points!!?!? Or are you joking!???

THAT WOULD MEAN GREECE BEAT ARGENTINA!!!!!!!!!! :gr: :gr: :gr: :tup:

WC 94 I was a little boy 8 yrs old....I was so obsessed with the whole tournament, I loved the Greek mascot the aleppou, Gia Sou Ellada song, I even remember when Greece flew to America how excited I was and Greece was....

Then Greece lost 4-0 Argentina and then Bulgaria and I was pretty sad.

http://www.music-bazaar.com/mn/music/p1/ba...in_gge__5_i.mp3

the exitement from that tournament was enough to get me hooked to following Greek team forever.... I dont care that we lost, it was such a big deal and great feeling to be going to the WC.... And that song by Parios......First time it occured to me to search for it online.....and i found a sample, first time I hear that song since 1993...Maybe its sentimental but its an amazing song!

I didnt understand how the team that was the "all stars" of Greek teams, the best from PAO, Olympiakos, AEK, and Maxlas could lose.... I really hope we go to World Cup in 2010......and ENJOY IT without the pressure, names, whiny fans and media....

But this doesnt exactly compare to 94. We are in bad luck. vs Russia we should have had a point and a goal. A bad mistake and cruel call took that away. We didnt get pounded 4-0 on our opener and on our second game we improved. Guys the players are seriously down and upset to be out too. They had beleif, faith and gave their all. These are not guys who went to go get laid with easy Greek American girls at bouzoukia or whatever happened/accused of in 94.....

I will be cheering for Greece tommorow like anygame, I like Spain, their league football, and especially their ham, but I want this Spanish team to go VACACIONES - FORZA GRECIA e FORZA ITALIA!!!

And Greece maybe out.....and this is a rough summer for us. Not only our football eliminated, but Drymonakos our wonder swimmer is out of the Olympics, and also our weightlifting team....

But Greek Basketball has a shot for the Olympic Qualifying and participating :tup:

And dont forget the water polo team will be there..... We may be eliminated but most of these European teams cant match up to Greek Athletics as a whole :nw:

Support !!! :gr:

Greece have to get some points. It would be really embarrassing if greece dont score or get any points. As of now we will finish last in the tourney. That would be an awful way to defend our title. If greece score I will be satisfyed with the out come of the tourney although Im still pissed about the sweeden game. If we finish the tourney with 3 poitns we will be ahead of some solid teams liek france and romania. If we dont win and get a 4-0 thumping, we will be the laughing stock of world football. I REALLY DONT WANT THAT!

This is a meaningless game so its going to be interessting to see our starting lineup. Will Otto go full out? Or will he experiment? You never know with this guy. But this is where you notice how stupied you are. If Otto knew we would get out of the group stage, why didnt we bring ninis and papsthaopoulos just for experience? Now who are we going toi play this game? dellas antzas in the bakc and basinas and katsou in the middle? We missed the passion of young ninis in the tournament and his technical and passing ability.

Lets hope whoever otto puts out there we dont give up.

ok I see a 3-1 Greece win, all penalities.

I would suggest to Otto that Nikopolidis plays upfront, He has managed to score 2 goals already this tourney (just for the wrong team). Its a shot in the dark, but it may work!!!

Like I have said before, It has been a hard tournament to watch because of all the rubbish refs, 0-1 vs sweden, 1-1 vs russia. Greece could still be in it!!!!

oh well, I'll watch and probably go harder than the other two games. Lets get revenge for the BBALL 06WC!!!!!

As bad as this team is - Poland are just as bad - we are NOT the team of 1994! I still have nightmares about Kofidis looking for half an hour to find someone to pass to, Atmatzidis doing a juggler act in front of a Bulgarian forward while the announcers are going "look at this!!!" in utter astonishment, Panagoulias stripping our defence and offence to pack an already packed midfield, etc., etc.

Btw, we did NOT get 3 points even after DAM was found to be doped up, we did NOT hit the post in any of our games, Nigeria did NOT need another goal, they did NOT get it straightaway but scored twice very late in each half and it was Tsalouchidis who got that shot v. Nigeria straight at their keeper.

There's very little good to say about our 2008 squad but at least there is a semblance of cohesion, there is a system that could be made to work and we have created chances and had a legitimate penalty appeal v. Russia (one was given on a similar play in the Romania - Italy game)

I like Aek66's team and DUDE's and OFI-MTL's teams aren't bad either. Personally I'd alter Aek66's team slightly:

-------------------------------------------Nikopolidis----------------------------------------

Vintra-------------------------Antzas------------Kyrgiakos------------------Spyropoulos

----------------------------------------Katsouranis------------------------------------------

----------------------------Torosidis-----------------Basinas--------------------------------

--------------------------------------------Lybe----------------------------------------------

----------------------------Salpiggidis-------------Samaras--------------------------------

I'd sub Niko and Antzas at half time like DUDE has suggested, but we have to give them one last hurrah.

well, unless spain do an 'el toro' on greece with a 3-0, 4-0...etc, i don't think this euro 2008 would be comparable to w.c. 1994.

the 1994 side was a ridiculous crew of babies, whiners and complainers and dodgy footballers who looked for controversey to mask their crap footballing skills.

that side didn't have 1 player playing in a foreign league.

your point is taken. on a 1:1 scale there is no comparing the teams. i just have a feeling if you compare the broader picture, this years campaign looks somewhat disasterous as well.

the 94 "team" qualified over hungary, it was their first major tournament, the coach was a joke, all-greek league players etc. AND the opposition was top class.

whereas 08 we come to the tournament to defend our trophy, we have an international coach with a rather successful vita, we were the best team in the qualifying campaign, have numerous players from iternational leagues and stand as tied worst team with poland having played decent but nowhere near top swedes and a russian team missing most of its stars.whoever finishes second in this group may well be the weakest team of the last eight.

if i look at it this way, 94 and 08 seem comparable.

lets just hope we can make the whole picture brighter with a good showing today.

Only a couple of comments ahead of the game:

Greece only have to lose from this game. Indeed, even if we win, no-one will give any credit, but if we lose again it will only get worse for the players/coach. And they deserve it.

Otto and the players have lost (a lot of) face in this tournament. I can't single out any player who performed satisfactory for me, the only thing that I will remember is Karagounis trying hard. All the others were below mediocrity.

The players have a unique opportunity today: either to lose more face by performing and losing, therefore speeding the developments in the Greek squad or barely keeping the status quo in the team which currently is below mediocrity. I can't see clearly which of the two scenarios is more benefical for us. What do you guys think?

I have enjoyed following all of your posts for the past couple of years, I don't chime in often, but as I have been following Greeces' effort in the 08 Euro, I think Otto needs to bloody some of the younger players, Spyropoulos, Tsiolis etc. Greece may be in a "no win" situation, but I think they need to play hard to show the fans and the players comming up the Greek spirit and dignity that willed them to victory in 04 still lives on.

:gr:

greece is out, spain is in, so this game is irrelevant as far as i am concerned....

what i dont understand is why otto left out two or three youngsters form the squad...he does not play the marginal bench player anyway,( goumas, salpi, etc.) so what better way to these guys indoctrinated into the international game than by throwing them in there?

i think almost everyone would understand that he is preparing for the future, and a loos would be excused outright due to the purpose of the playing young but inexperienced players.....the WC qualfiers are a few months away and we cant afford to be giving away points to lesser squads by providing "on the job training" for the young guys that have to bepart of the 2010 national equation.....

did i miss something?

otto adapting tactics are really weak....its a greman thing, as their mentality is so strong and stubborn to maintaion the plan at hand, that once that plan is frustrated or the "team" is disassociated they are lost....(all you students of history can confirm this mentality through post war analysis of all the participants of WWII) but i wont get into all that.....i digress....

lets hope we see something to give us encouragement for the future.......

Team's been named. It's 4-3-3.

------------------------------------------Nikopolidis-----------------------------------------

Vintra------------------Kyrgiakos-----------------------Dellas---------------Spyropoulos

-------------------------Basinas---------Katsouranis---------Karagounis------------------

Salpi--------------------------------------Haristeas-----------------------------Amanatidis

So what do you guys think?

i would love to see salpi / gekas / aman up front

haristeas and his head have worn out their welcome.....

who is the best or what ios the best midfield combo for box to box play?

samaras should beoff this team.......he is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to soft....

well Gkekas and Toro are injured and wont be playing

I think we can do fine.

Salpiggidis I hope does well, because Im a big critic of him - but this is his best position, on the right side of attack (AND NEVER THE CENTER)

and hell be in front of Vyntra, so at least there some familiarity..

Id like to see Tziolis get a shot at this stage, maybe he can suprise us.

Spyropoulos Im not crazy over...he can play good or bad...but hes getting his chance...

I think eventually Samaras will come on for Xaristeas...It should be a chance to show something as he was unbelivably poor vs Sweden... But he should only be in the center, Salpi and Amanatidis are the perfect players to be playing wide attack because theyre speed and dribbling based...

I wanted to see Tzorvas but...oh well I knew it wouldnt happen, Nikopolidis will be given his last game, its fair. Tzorvas will be back in blue soon enough, hopefully more players step down after today too.

Dellas, Gkoumas, Lybe, Giannakopoulos, Xalkias cant be selfish they have to let the new kids in. Otto wont do it for them, and if i were a footballer anyways, id rather leave the team declaring my own retirement then suddenly stop getting phone calls.

Spain is all new players, who want to prove themselves. It wont be easy. Luckily for Greece, the Spanish tend not to have that sort of attitude and determination to succeed when they dont need to.

Xabi alonso and Fabregas playing......Guiza too is dangerous.

Archived