Phantis Forums

Salzburg busted

sydlending

Sydlending and co is going to Salzburg to cheer Greece in the crucial game against Russia. The stakes and expectations run high. Kiddo had to drop the tae kwon do weekend camp and the subaminm(instructor) was not too happy about that. But you ve got to get your priorities straight: Elladara!

Greek salad is not gross ! ! ! :o

(although that one did look gross :D (slightly :P ))

I agree on the Ouzo though, but for food I would also have gone for something heartier ...

Mousaka, pastitsio ... noooo I know ... skordalia me bakaliaro tiganito ! ! ! Then go sit next to some Russians and breathe in their direction ... that'll shut 'em up for a couple of minutes :whistle: ... :D ...

Have a nice and safe trip and I hope you enjoy the game and hopefully a Greek victory! Kalo taksidi! :tup:

Greek salad is not gross ! ! !  :o

(although that one did look gross :D (slightly :P ))

I agree on the Ouzo though, but for food I would also have gone for something heartier ...

Mousaka, pastitsio ... noooo I know ... skordalia me bakaliaro tiganito ! ! ! Then go sit next to some Russians and breathe intheir direction ... that'll shut 'em up for a couple of minutes  :whistle:  ... :D ...

Have a nice and safe trip and I hope you enjoy the game and hopefully a Greek victory! Kalo taksidi!  :tup:

well that one def looks gross , and usually im a no cheese person so...

If im in Austria for a vist......id prefer austrian food.....central european food is great...

I wouldnt mind kokkinsito or gouronopoulo psito kalamata style :D damn we make good food, its a pity they only giving cups for football, because otherwise we have no problems qualifying from Sweden, Spain and Russia if it were for food :LOL:

Honestly if i were in austria, the best thing fans could do is bring a clarinet and roast lambs in the streets - while chanting, singing and dancing folk songs.

That would be the greatest pre-game for the national match ever.

Afterall it should be a party for the fans. Win, lose, were happy to be there either way, because this tournament still says something.....Were in a major tournament for the 3rd time in 8 years.... were going to be in more tournaments too, Greece is going to have a bigger place on the footballing map from now on....

I mean in 2002, 98, 2000 we watch teams and smaller european teams that always seem to be there and we wonder when our team will reach that standard of being a regular face at these tournaments (like Sweden, Croatia etc...)

Essential equipment for a fan of the greek NT(at least for one living in Oslo, Norway) was packed in:

Greek flag

Foot spray(its going to be lots of walking)

German phrase book(wie komme ich nach stadium bitte?)

Map of Salzburg(the red dot shows where we are staying)

Blue and white face painting colours

"Fighter" teeth guard (just in case) :box:

Posted Image

Salzburg here we come :D

We landed in Munchen and went onto the gate for flying to Salzburg. There were 6 other greeks waiting for the same plane.

Posted Image

One of them was wearing the vodafone jersey "Hellas 12", fans are team's 12th player that is. I've heard that the security guards didn't allow jerseys with logos from companies that weren't amongst the official sponsors into the stadium, so I told him. Another greek had heard the same and that people were forced to wear their vodafone jerseys inside out. When inside the stadium he could switch back to normal so he'd won in the end :LOL:

They told us that many more had flown from Athens the same day for the match and rented cars from Munchen to Salzburg.

It was too much for the only one russian supporter on the plane us sitting next to him, so he moved to an empty seat in another row :D

When we arrived at Salzburg we had to go through a passport control despite flying from Germany, thats due to increased security measures during the championship. Many of our fellow passengers were carrying only their greek identity cards. There was a Euro-2008 stand where we got information on how to get to the city. We overheard someone asking about what kind of objects is not allowed to bring into the stadium and were surprised to hear that one had to go to the stadium and ask there :blink:

We took out plenty with cash from an ATM(we didn't find any in the transit area in Munchen airport :blink: ) and rushed outside the terminal to catch bus number 2 to the city. Our schedule was very tight: we had to grab someting to eat, check in to our hotel and find our way to the stadium in the span of a few hours :unsure:

There was electronic displays at the bus stops that showed the time left to bus arrivings. Inside the bus there were displays too showing the names of the bus stops. That was pretty handy since it was difficult to understand the stop-announcements in german. We got off to Hauptbahnhoff(central station) since there are always lots of places to eat around it. There were several Euro-2008 assistants at the central station that were wearing green reflex-vests and were easy to spot. We asked one of them of a place to eat. She was nice, took me from the shoulder and pointed us a burger-king closed by. We dashed there with a well worked out appetite after a long journey.

Ordering food was a major challenge. We wanted to have plain burgers with pommes frittes and fanta but the girl behind the desk didn't seem to understand english and was insisting that we had to order by stating a menu number. After spending a long time explaining to her over and over again what we wanted she finally gave up on her demand and we got our food.

We sat at a table next to a sweet brunette with greek colours ;) . She told us that she came from Nurnberg just for todays match with a greek guy and a beautiful german girl, also a brunette. They didn't have tickets, so they were planning to watch the game in an open square with a big screen.

After that we rushed to catch bus number 3 to Mozartsteg to check in to our hotel.

Our hotel was in Altstadt(old town) next to Mozartplatz. This was a big open square turned into a place to watch the game from huge screens. Our reservation was in order and checking in went very smoothly. We paid 190 euros for 1 night. The room was neat but we were surprised that there wasnt any refrigerator installed in our room :blink: .

The important thing was having a palce to overnight though.

First thing to do was taking a shower and then hanging out the greek flag and zagorakis-jersey from the windows. This hotel was now officially a strong hold for supporters of our national team :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Though I was tired I wouldnt risk taking a nap and may be oversleeping and missing the game :wacko:

It was fun watching from the 4th floor the osis(austrians)

Posted Image

or supporters walking by.

Posted Image

We were leaning out of the window shouting Hellas-Hellas at random and hiding to catch people by surprise. Subisidiary waving the hands out of the window and singing:

Ohh Elladara

sexo panta

mes sthn kardia

opou ke na paizeis

panta tha sakoloutho

gia sena anapneo kai gia sena mono zo

ohhhh Elladara

(thats the special oslo-supporter version of ohh paokara)

In the end we caught the attention of an austrian polizei who stopped in front of our hotel talking to his walkie talkie

Posted Image

Finally we took it easy and relaxed for 1 hour loading up for the match to come

Painted blue and white started off our way to the stadium.

We went past santorini, a greek restaurant next to our hotel

Posted Image

and then had a look at Mozartplatz where supporters had started to gather to watch the game from the big screens

Posted Image

Posted Image

We asked a Euro-2008 assistant guy how to get to the stadium. He said it was a 10 minutes bus ride with bus nr 5. We made it along Salzach river to the busstop. I overheard a disussion between some supporters and a policeman about what is allowed to bring into the stadium. The polizei man was saying that it wouldn't be allowed anything that could be thrown at the players. That worried me a bit cause I had like 29 euros worth of coins and the keys for our hotel room and I read a blog by galanolefkos faros about how grek fans were stripped off their stuff entering the stadium in our game vs sweden and that it took 3 hours waiting after the game to get theit stuff back, if they were lucky that is.

We came across plenty of greek supporters along the way which was a good sign.

Posted Image

Some of them were wearing blue rasta hairpieces and blue shirts with "masaei h katsika tarama;" written on :afro:

Posted Image

The bus was packed with greek supporters and very few russians.

It was ringing with elladara-omadara during the bus ride. Some russian girls started singing Katiusha(the second world war song) but we overshouted them, poor things :) .

At one point we drove by a bunch of austrian kids that were standing at the side of the road holding up a banner with Hellas written on shouting Hellas-Hellas waving at our bus, that was a very pleasant surprise :tup:

The bus ride lasted half an hour instead of 10 minutes.

We got off in front of a big building which I assumed was the stadium.

I asked where was our gate(Nord A1). It was about 2 minutes walk around the corner said a Euro 2008 assistant guy.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There was a catch though, for one thing this building wasn't the stadium and for another thing the stadium was like 20 minutes walk around the corner and down the road rather than 2 minutes. Osis(austrians) seem to be overboard optimists about how long time it takes to get somewhere :P

It got very crowded the closer we got to the stadium and it wasn't easy to tell if greek fans were to be the majority. A greek who was selling tickets got into a nasty argument with another greek who thought the price was way too high. In front of the security controll gates it got chaotic with people pouring in from all directions. I ve got to say that it was obvious that some greeks seemed to lack "waiting for your turn in line" culture and were pushing and trying to sneak in front of others, which was irritating :nono: . Actually one greek got so pissed off that called them "kafroi" :P

Eventually it got our turn. The security guard felt at my pockets, seemed to be about to ask me to take out the stuff I got there to have a look but in a twinkle of an eye changed his mind and let us go in( it must be the "bluesteel" look I took after from zoolander that made the trick :D )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Archived