Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos in Australia?

XXX-18T

This might be a bit off the topic but id like to share a story with everyone when Panathinaikos U21 came to Adelaide - Australia 2003

they used to run a competition in Adelaide including Under 21 teams from all over the world.. however 2003 was its last year due to crowd violence.

When Greek Adelaide based teams play italian adelaide based teams there is always a rivarly for example West Adelaide Hellas vs Adelaide City Juve

i remember Panathinaikos were playing Chievo Verona and many thousands of greeks gathered for the game whilst only a quater of the stadium were italians.

Panathinaikos won this game 1-0 and sent greek fans wild especially the Gate-13 like crowd at the back.. we were throwing bottles at them chanting italia malak...ia spitting on them etc. They deserved it. It was such a good atmosphere.

In the second Game Panathinaikos lost 1-0 to Leverkusen but all the Greek fans stuck around to watch Australia U21 vs Chievo.. I think Australia won that game 3-0. During the game the PAO fan club were giving it to the italians once again singing italia mal...akia... when one smart a$$ italian decided to shout "WHERE WAS GREECE IN THE WORLD CUP" the whole stadium was listening to the argument even the Australian fans had forgotten about the game...

A patriotic overweight panathinaikos fan stood up proudly and shouted at the top of his voice.. we were at home "F**king your mothers and sisters"

Everyone burst out in laughter and applauded this individual even the aussie fans...

This was one of the funniest things i have ever heard at a soccer game...

Everyone started the HELLAS chants and PAO ole ole chants.. even though pao was not playing the stadium was filled with great atmosphere provided by the greeks who outnumbered the italians... the Greeks lit flairs and went to where the italian fan club were situated.. taking their flags and banners throwing them away as we waved our greek flags over them and forced them to run to the other side of the stadium.. we decided to follow them and continue to abuse them.. a few small fights broke out which caused the italians to leave the stadium..

they must have complained to the committee who ran the event and the tournament was not held ever since.

This was the best memmory of soccer in Adelaide for any Greek. Italians in Australia hate Greeks. They think theyre better than us at soccer and they had that coming for a long time.. Great to see how many greeks support PAO in Adelaide... My only regret is not taking photos... im sure some one has if i can track them down i will put them up..

I hope you enjoyed my breif story

Hahahahaa I didnt know Pao came to Australia in 2003 didnt hear anything about it!

As for Adelaide it reminds me of a big horio everyone knows everybody and my bro in law is from the Hills near Penfolds. He had a lot of Italian mates so im not sure about the Italo's vs Greeks.

My wife is Italian and a lot of my mates are Italian and Portugese.

I like to rub it in who is Euro champs but would go to the Pao games even if they are interstate.

Archived