Phantis Forums

Panopoulos proposes 2 A'Ethnikes

Ziaka

Christos Panopoulos, The Xanthi owner said during an interview today that only a crazy businessman would get involved with Greek soccer these days. he also proposed that the A' Ethniki be played in 2 groups (North & South), with the top teams from each groups playing a play-off format to decide the champions and UEFA Cup teams.

Here is a recap of the interview:

Panopoulos interview on Metrosport

That would throw us back into a time period before 1959!

I don't doubt that professional football in Greece needs some change or other but let's not get ridiculous!

I agree 100%

What is Panopoulos saying, that they cannot afford the money to go to Crete? Or that by reducing the expenceses by 50-100.000 Euros the PAE will be able to sign Zidane?

• 2 weeks later...

As Athletism in a way... is something positive... to a society.... and also has some degree of culture.... besides the entertaining factor......the province clubs should be financial supported by the public / community..... .. this would boost the local clubs...and also would make Greek Football richer and healthier........

but under the condition... that those clubs....are ruled as a club .... with the respective statute law..... ... and not owned by a single person under the law of capitalism......

But the problem is here that Greece is ruled as a Centralized State.... where all important decisions are taken in Athens.

Looking the things deeper.... the uncompetitive Greek League is not a problem of Greek Football and the Greek Football Association itself............but is a problem of

the Greek State's Political Organization...............

a) A Centralistic State where the money is distributed mainly from Athens....

b.) An Economy which is concentrated mostly in Athens...........

The result is: 10 teams of 16 in the First Division, are located in the Greater Area of Athens (in one city)

Nowhere else in the world exists this................

Again not a problem of football in itself...... but a problem of the whole Nation in general.......... as per nightsurfer's view......... ;)

That would throw us back into a time period before 1959!

I don't doubt that professional football in Greece needs some change or other but let's not get ridiculous!

I don't think it's that bad. Basically, Panopoulos is suggesting a North-American type structure of divisional play. And if it gives the opportunity for say a Xanthi or an OFI to contend for the title, why not? Then again, the South Division might too strong with AEK, PAO and OSFP in the same division.

Archived