Phantis Forums

Eurobasket 2007

Will Greece repeat as European Champions?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece repeat as European Champions?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so we come 3rd no mattter what

Next is against Slovania/Lithuania loser

then vs the winner of Italy/Germany vs Spain if they beat Isreal, Russia if the Israellis win

Anyway, I hope we stay away from the Spaniards

There are classification games until the top 8 have been ranked from 1-8.

Only the top 2 qualify for Beijing - unless Spain is one of the two (Spain has qualified for the Olympics via their World Championship win) then the 3rd team goes on.

The next 4 move on to the Olympic qualifying tourney in July of next year. Three teams qualify from that tourney to the Olympics.

Looking at who has qualified for the qualifying tourney already,unless Steve Nash shows up I think only Brazil will challenge the Euros

Olympic Qualifying Tournament:

Europe: 4 teams

Americas: 3 - Puerto Rico, Brazil, Canada

Africa: 2 - Cameroon , Cape Verde

Asia: 2 - Lebanon , Korea

Oceania: 1 - New Zealand

Already qualified

Competition Date Venue Vacancies Qualified

Host nation - - 1 China

2006 FIBA World Champion - Spain

2007 FIBA Africa Champion - Angola

2007 FIBA Asia Champion - Iran

2007 FIBA Americas Champion and runner up USA Argentina

2007 FIBA Europe Champion and runner up TBD

2007 FIBA Oceania Champion Australia

World Olympic Qualifying Tournament July 7-13, 2008 TBD 3 teams

TOTAL 12

European champions Greece went on a decisive run at the start of the second quarter en route to an 85-67 win against Portugal on Tuesday at the EuroBasket.

Portugal led 17-15 with two minutes to go in the first quarter but Greece hit them with a 16-2 run over the next seven minutes to take command.

The Portuguese never controlled Dimos Ntikoudis, who led the Greeks in scoring with 17 points and nine rebounds.

"We played the game really tough," said Greek captain Michail Kakiouzis, who contributed eight points.

"And if we play the rest of the games like this, we won't have any problems.

"Game by game, we're getting better, we're finding solutions on offense and that helped us on defense today, too. I hope and I think we will play better in the next games.

"We have really big confidence right now."

Despite trailing 45-34 at half-time, Portugal never gave up and cut the deficit to 45-37 early in the third quarter but the Greeks replied with a 6-0 run to stamp their authority on the contest.

Paolo Cunha's jumper with three minutes to go in the quarter gave Portugal a glimmer of hope, cutting the deficit to 54-47, but that soon faded away with Greece hitting them with a 10-0 run.

Greece led by as many as 21 points (75-54) with less than five minutes remaining but suffered a setback with Michailis Pelekanos having to leave the game after sustaining an ankle injury.

Questions about his fitness will now worry the Greeks as they prepare for the quarter-finals.

Greece were superior shooting the ball.

They were 29 of 48 (60%) from the floor while their opponents were 21 of 58 (36%).

Greece outrebounded Portugal 37 to 24.

Joao Santos had a team-high 17 points in defeat.

Portugal, because of the defeat, will not advance to the quarter-finals.

Portuguese forward Joao Gomes, who had tryouts with NBA clubs before this year's NBA draft, said: "We knew it was going to be a tough game against a team like Greece, but we played well for a while and we're proud of our performance throughout this tournament.

"To make it to the second phase of the competition is a big deal for Portuguese basketball and hopefully it can help the sport grow."

Source.

Greece is in the quarterfinals of Eurobasket 2007 where they will face either Lithuania or Slovenia. They beat Portugal 85-67 and secured third place. Beat then twice in Euro 2004, in the quarterfinals of U19 in soccer, and now here.

Greece-Portugal highlights

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=652&Ln=En

1. Spain 4/1 9

2. Russia 4/1 9

3. Greece 3/2 8

4. Croatia 2/3 7

5. Portugal 1/4 6

6. Israel 1/4 6

Greece is in the quarterfinals of Eurobasket 2007 where they will face either Lithuania or Slovenia. They beat Portugal 85-67 and secured third place. Beat then twice in Euro 2004, in the quarterfinals of U19 in soccer, and now here.

Greece-Portugal highlights

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=652&Ln=En

1. Spain 4/1 9

2. Russia 4/1 9

3. Greece 3/2 8

4. Croatia 2/3 7

5. Portugal 1/4 6

6. Israel 1/4 6

ya! ur right! :gr:

now we gotta beat spain.. who we couldnt beat in euro 2004, who destryoed us in the finals of the world chamionship, beat us in the u19 final, beat us in a frendly not to long ago, and embarssed us again in bball last week.

Is it possible for greece and spain to play in the finals?

I hope greece has a good enogh team to make it that far.. which i dunno about ;)

But none the less ... were gonna rock spain :gr: :gr:

I thougt it would be down to Spain, Lithuania, Russia and Greece from after the first game, and i still believe it will be so. However, Slovenia will be no volta stw parko for the ethniki. I say we have a slight upper hand because of experience from knock-out stages in major tournements + our last game was a better one than the Slovenians. I think it will be a close win with not more than 5pts.

When/if we reach the Semis, i just dont see how we could top Spain in Madrid at this point of time. It wont be the same arse-rape as in Japan one year ago though. A loss with under 10pts i predict. I'm sorry to say, but we will be fighting for bronze and a spot in Bejing. I wont be content with nothing less than a victorious game on Sunday!

Diamatidis have had a very bad run the little he played first half. Papaloukas hasent been great either. Its Spanoulis and Papadopoulos who are keeping us in the game so far. Hopefully things will pick up in the second half, it must!

Archived