Phantis Forums

Eurobasket 2007

Will Greece repeat as European Champions?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece repeat as European Champions?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(We already passed into the next round and we will either play Spain, Latvia, Croatia, or Portugal although we will 99% play either Croatia or Latvia. Next match against Russia for first place. Serbia should beat Israel and pass into the next round. I love how the Turks in the FIBA WC last summer were saying if they had their two NBAers, Okur and Turkoglu, playing with them, they would have won the FIBA WC and would have beaten Greece in division play and would have been unbeaten. Well, those 2 players are playing with Turkey in Eurobakset 2007. In 2 matches, they have 2 losses, against Lithuania by 17 points and Germany by 30 points. Enough said!!!)

Greece-Serbia Highlights

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=555&Ln=En

Greece-Serbia Highlights (last 1:27 of tension)

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=551&Ln=En

Greece survived a tough test by edging Serbia 68-67 in overtime in the second game of the day. Dikoudis led the winners with 20 points while his Panathinaikos teammate Vassilis Spanoulis added 10 for Greece.

Posted Image

Marko Jaric led Serbia with 18 points, Darko Milicic added 17, but it was Gurovic who provided the highlight by banking in a 10-meter desperation shot that took the game to overtime, 56-56. Zoran Erceg of FMP narrowly missed a double-double with 9 points and 12 rebounds. The game saw as many as 7 lead changes before Marko Jaric hit free throws for a 48-51 Serbian lead.

Dikoudis buried a triple and Theo Papaloukas of CSKA and Kostas Tsartsaris of Panathinaikos added free throws for a 54-51 Greek edge. Jaric made free throws with 9 seconds to go in regulation, Dikoudis made the mistake of dunking it at the other game, giving Gurovic enough time to bury an impossible three-pointer with 0.8 seconds to go to force overtime. Serbia took its last lead, 63-64, on a free throw by Jaric.

Lazaros Papadopoulos of Real Madrid scored inside and Dikoudis nailed one from downtown for a 68-64 Greek edge. Milos Teodosic of FMP took over with a layup-plus-foul and Spanoulis missed on the other end, but Papadopoulos blocked Jaric's desperation shot at the buzzer.

Turning point: Yesterday it was Kostas Tsartsaris who won the game for Greece with a three-pointer. Today, another of Greece's power forwards, Demos Dikoudis, stepped up. With 40 seconds left in the overtime session and with his team up by one, he knocked down a timely shot from downtown to make it a four-point game, 68-64. Serbia was only able to cut it down to one after that.

Hero: Serbia's Darko Milicic literally carried his team on his shoulders tonight. It was a team effort built around the Novi Sad native and he produced against the toughest team in Europe. He finished with 17 points on 70% shooting from the field, six rebounds and three blocks to bring his side as close as possible to beating the champions.

Statistics: Both teams suffered from a very bad shooting night. Greece hit only 33% of their shots from the field while Serbia were only marginally better at 38%.

Top scorer and MVP of the game was Dimos Dikoudis with 15 points and large three pointers definitely earned the title. On the other hand, Milisic was great with 17 points which were not enough to help his team to beat the European champions of 2005.

Man, talk about a thriller! I would never thought it would come down to this! Our boys did one heck of a job, beating Serbia is something special. Now, Greece can finish up this group by getting a victory over Russia and win the group.

To loup, I love this new system FIBA established, 3 teams from each group joins with 3 other teams in another group, with the points carry into the second round. :tup:

I hate the old system where the group winners gets a "free pass" to the quarterfinals, while the runner-ups and third place get to play in the Elimination Round. :tdown:

Man, talk about a thriller! I would never thought it would come down to this! Our boys did one heck of a job, beating Serbia is something special. Now, Greece can finish up this group by getting a victory over Russia and win the group.

You must have not seen the game file, yesterday was a giant catastrophe and a disgrace, the worst performance the team has had in a long time, simply hopeless except for Dikoudis who kept us alive.

'Thriller' but also the most painful match to watch, because we were so friggin bad......Lazaros Papadopoulos is simply pathetic, for a big guy hes got no power, no skill, no confidence, no agility (its actually kinda funny) and yet he plays constantly after getting EATEN ALIVE by everyone he goes up against and must have ate 4-5 tapes last night......20% from the field.......TWENTY......2/10 - and Bouroussis didnt get a chance, Vassilopoulos hardly plays......very poor decisions last night...

The worst part of the match was the last second, when Serbia who couldnt shoot a 3 pointer to save their life scored one randomly to tie the game. The worst part of that moment was that the terrible game was not over, not so much that Greece didnt win it in regular time!

We demand and need a lot better tonight from all the players (exceept for Dimosthenis, who has been twice our top player now) if we are going to be finalists again...

Hero: Serbia's Darko Milicic literally carried his team on his shoulders tonight. It was a team effort built around the Novi Sad native and he produced against the toughest team in Europe. He finished with 17 points on 70% shooting from the field, six rebounds and three blocks to bring his side as close as possible to beating the champions.

hero????

OVERRATED. Very impressive, the Serbs for full 3.5 periods gave him the ball FOR EVERY PLAY and could not attack any other way, and from that he only mustered 17 points, and its not like going up against girly-man Lazaros Papadopoulos is that big a challenge...

Oh, and after the game, blamed the referees for Serbia's piss poor performance and

QUOTE : "I WANT TO KILL THE REFS AND F*** THEIR DAUGHTERS"

What a hero and inspirational leader......fukkin POS

OYST XOROFYLAKES!!!

LETS GO HEBREWS TONIGHT!!!

:tup:

why is he a legend? hes a sick, Serbian a*****

AND ANTE GEIA SERBIA

ISRAEL 87

Serbia 83

LACHEIM!

anyways ethniki news: WE SUCK.

weve scored 51 & 53 in regular time of the last two matches.....if that doesnt say enough...

Same garbage for 3rd day in a row, offense is predictable, stale, and godawful. Id rate it as in the bottom five for the tournament. Our field goals are awful, our plays are totally the same thing over and over, and theres no movement.... its hard to undersand because it was the opposite in the Acropolis tournament, there was movements, diversity, people could actualy finish close range field goals.....now we must shoot like 30%.....its pitiful.

Papaloukas has lost everything over the summer, he cant score a layup, cant even complete a pass, hes pretty terrible this tournament - easily the biggest letdown of the competition, has played nowhere even hinting to his standard and name...

Spanoulis is sloppy, cant score, cant hold the ball....oh and cant shoot a free throw to save his life tonight.

Diamantidis is pussing out

Laz Papadopoulos is the worst player in the tournament. I could go on and on about how is the ultimate shitty player because hes so poor in everything he does out there.

Vassilopoulos - oh cant complain because Jackass Giannakis WONT PUT THE GUY IN MORE THAN a minute......and when he does play, he does well, a 3ponto, a smart pass, a tapa and then he comes right out.....HMMM DONT PUT HIM IN ANYMORE!!

TEAM PLAYING AWFUL - TWO PROMISING PLAYERS ON THE BENCH ======== STILL DONT USE THEM!!!! BRAVO GIANNAKI !!! Have the players even been practicing the last weeks??? Why exactly did we throw our offense down the toilet when we got to Spain and now just repeating the same terrible play over and over?

We get a break tommorow, if nothing changes in Mentality, Attitude and tactics by Friday vs the Croats we are effectivley out of this tournament.

why is he a legend? hes a sick, Serbian a*****

AND ANTE GEIA SERBIA

ISRAEL 87

Serbia 83

LACHEIM!

anyways ethniki news: WE SUCK.

weve scored 51 & 53 in regular time of the last two matches.....if that doesnt say enough...

Same garbage for 3rd day in a row, offense is predictable, stale, and godawful. Id rate it as in the bottom five for the tournament. Our field goals are awful, our plays are totally the same thing over and over, and theres no movement.... its hard to undersand because it was the opposite in the Acropolis tournament, there was movements, diversity, people could actualy finish close range field goals.....now we must shoot like 30%.....its pitiful.

Papaloukas has lost everything over the summer, he cant score a layup, cant even complete a pass, hes pretty terrible this tournament - easily the biggest letdown of the competition, has played nowhere even hinting to his standard and name...

Spanoulis is sloppy, cant score, cant hold the ball....oh and cant shoot a free throw to save his life tonight.

Diamantidis is pussing out

Laz Papadopoulos is the worst player in the tournament. I could go on and on about how is the ultimate shitty player because hes so poor in everything he does out there.

Vassilopoulos - oh cant complain because Jackass Giannakis WONT PUT THE GUY IN MORE THAN a minute......and when he does play, he does well, a 3ponto, a smart pass, a tapa and then he comes right out.....HMMM DONT PUT HIM IN ANYMORE!!

TEAM PLAYING AWFUL - TWO PROMISING PLAYERS ON THE BENCH ======== STILL DONT USE THEM!!!! BRAVO GIANNAKI !!! Have the players even been practicing the last weeks??? Why exactly did we throw our offense down the toilet when we got to Spain and now just repeating the same terrible play over and over?

We get a break tommorow, if nothing changes in Mentality, Attitude and tactics by Friday vs the Croats we are effectivley out of this tournament.

It's funny... You're a sick Greek a**hole and we still like you so why not like him too? :P

I'm really getting worried about our play! I can't see us winning this tournament! Why has happened to them?

Greece lost to Russia 61-53. Greece's offense has been very bad the last 2 matches.

1. Russia 3/0 6

2. Greece 2/1 5

3. Israel 1/2 4

4. Serbia 0/3 3

1. Croatia 2/1 5

2. Spain 2/1 5

3. Portugal 1/2 4

4. Latvia 1/2 4

Now the 2 divisions become one minus Serbia and Latvia and the top 4 teams pass. Records carry over to the division.

7/9 GRE - ESP

9/9 GRE - CRO

11/9 GRE - POR

Kakiouzis' comments after the game:

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=584&Ln=En

Greece has never been an offencesive team by any strecth of the imagination, the way they find ways to win is to grind our results there really not one real superstar that sticks out and can change the game, once he steps on the parkee.

germany has nowitzki, spain has gasol france has parker ext.................

But i do agree what happend to the team from the acropolis tourni, we were exceptional,flowing basket great d,and shooting.

We get to the big dance and were like littles girls barely squeeking by ISRAELLLLLLLL, COME ON.

And of all team to play b fasi is spain our black sheep in b-ball and foot, god hope they pull there HEADS OUT OF THERE A#$$$.

feeling very nervous we wont go far the way weve played so far for a country thats ranked 7th in fiba we lost to russia whos 19th.

We sure arent playin like it,ziziz to me is the most dissapointing what a great ball player invisable papaloukas pou eisai

:tdown: WE WONT EVEN MAKE TOP 5 SAD TO SAY

The game against Spain is important but the one against Croatia is going to be the tricky one since the beat spain today so we are close.We havent played well the last 2 games but especially against Russia we had many open shots opportunities that we missed plus way to many mistakes.Our power has always been defence so the low scores are normal but we got to tight up our game because now is when the tournament gets interesting.I have hope that our boys will change gear and make us proud again.

we suck.... but still go for a medal... kirile...no?

hope at the crutial game(s) & minute(s) the greeks will wake up...

we ant no dream team.... but tryin to be...

den stamato na tragudo pote....

WE HAVE 2 WIN SPAIN!!!!!!! GIA TIN ELADA RE GAMOTO

Greece-Russia highlights

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...sp?ID=587&Ln=En

GROUP E (Madrid, ESP)

Team P W/L F/A Pts

1. Russia 2 2/0 151/109 4

2. Croatia 2 2/0 175/152 4

3. Spain 2 1/1 166/141 3

4. Greece 2 1/1 129/127 3

5. Israel 2 0/2 122/166 2

6. Portugal 2 0/2 124/172 2

Portugal 07.09.2007 Russia

Spain 07.09.2007 Greece

Israel 07.09.2007 Croatia

Russia 09.09.2007 Spain

Portugal 09.09.2007 Israel

Greece 09.09.2007 Croatia

Croatia 11.09.2007 Russia

Greece 11.09.2007 Portugal

Spain 11.09.2007 Israel

our offence needs to wake up and make there shoots were scored only 129 points in 3 games!!! unexceptable for a team thats so highly ranked, our d is our stregnth, but we gootta get offence goinggreece are capabl of it the can score in the high 90s, cant miss thiose three throws and open shoots

Giannakis is a genius and a legend

:LOL:

kala re file.....dont credit him for all Greece has done in basketball -

he won a Euro (actually a bit shocking, but seein has we had only 1 respectable team to go up against France and we made it through by great last minute shooting and a bit of luck) and MundoBasket final, which nearly convinced me, the boys were in the best form of there lives up until the Spain final game which was a humiliation and he had a big part in that.

Lets not mention the Olympics in 2004.....and how badly he did there...

Giannakis was always an overrated player, and is an overrated coach today.

Im not saying change him out, but hes no magician, esp when your dealing with the top players in Europe when they were on there prime the last 2 years....

Sofoklis had some problem with the coach and refused call up....

& a genius coach would not watch his team do the same piss poor play over and over, and actually let Lazaros Papadopoulos play the amount he does, while not giving Bouroussis a single chance....

Giannakis has some of the issues that Otto has with our soccer team :P .I dont get it why not use Vasilopoulos and Bourousis for 4 minutes just to give your other guys some rest and also cause a commotion to the other team.They are both athletic and can create problems,score,rebound,block and play defence.Since u dont have Sofo,(monster of disaster in a good and bad way)use these guys.Plus another thing that bothered me yesterday was that we need to be able to score better especially when our guards are wide open.I still believe we can do a hell lot better i just hope our players and coach realize that in time. :gr:

I saw every game on media zone and the sad thing is the team is talented, but they are not as motivated as they were before. I think to all Greeks it was very hard to take not winning a medal at the Olympics. I think they were very motivated after that. Now you see the team in a bad position and needing to make a shot and several times they'll make it, but not before missing the easy things. I'm sad that Papaloukas seems to be doing very badly this tournament. Spanoulis is missing free throws. We only have Dikoudis stepping up and he was not much of a factor in the Mundial. All they have to do is get down to the basics and do the easy stuff and the rest will follow. I am not optmistic.

Archived