Phantis Forums

Varouhas analyzing plays on Athlitiki Kyriaki

cyberfish

Disclaimer: I watch Varouhas in Athlitiki kyriaki as an entertainment show and I don't expect that his word is the definitive answer to refereeing difficult plays.

So, the very last play he analyzed today involved the Larissa player who jumped for a header with his arms raised above his head. The ball hit his outstretched arm and the ref awarded a penalty and showed him the yellow card.

Even though the player seemed to be disoriented in the air, and probably did not mean to touch the ball with his hand, he gained an unfair advantage because he extended his body by outstretching his arms. According to FIFA rules this is the definition of a penalty.

Mr. Varouhas showed the play and agreed that the ref rightly showed the penalty spot and flashed the yellow. No problem here.

Last year however, Konstantinou jumped with outstretched arms, touched the ball with his arm and pass it this way to Rivaldo who scored against PAO. Exactly the same play, except Mr. Varouhas at the time claimed that Konstantinou hand ball was not a foul!

Is he realy a "professor" of refereeing? Is he responsible for teaching other refs? If he is, it would explain the inconsistent refereeing we see every week.

I bring this example with Konstantinou because I remember it and because the two plays are identical. I am not interested to teams being treated unfairly. But I am interested in how Greek football is affected when those charged to educate the refs and the public are so inconsistent when they even have the benefit of replay.

PS. edit: title should read "plays" instead of "playes" :1eye:

I fixed it - Ziaka

I remeber that with Konstantinou and i saw the same thing today and you are so right. And i agree with you that the problem with the GREEK refs is that they ar NOT consistant. Maybe they all need to go to England and get trained!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, maybe Varouhas is reading this forum :)

Today, on a similar play when the Kerkyra player touched the ball with an outstretched arm the ref correctly pointed to the penalty spot. Varouhas correctly pointed out that the defender (although he obviously was trying to head the ball) "megalwse to swma tou" by outstretching the arms.

So from the similar plays I remember, he got two right, one wrong.

I remeber that with Konstantinou and i saw the same thing today and you are so right. And i agree with you that the problem with the GREEK refs is that they ar NOT consistant. Maybe they all need to go to England and get trained!!!

:LOL:

Have you seen English refs?

Archived