Ellada2004
Members-
Posts
3,486 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
82
Everything posted by Ellada2004
-
2-0 PAOK, AEK lost 2-1
-
Good assessment, Greece should be winning comfortably vs Estonia, Faroes, Luxembourg etc. We scrape out 1-0 wins when they should be 3 goal spreads. Going back to the 2014 World Cup qualifying we had the same issue not putting up big wins vs the lightweights and Bosnia did and they beat us out for top spot on goal differential. The larger problem now in the last 4 years is that we are losing or drawing games to these minnows at the very least Greece should be getting wins. This has to change. First thing Ange has to do is call up our best players and put them in there correct positions. Ange made 9 changes to the starting 11 vs Estonia to experiment and thinking the team was going to get the easy win. I am all for some changes but not that many and you cant do that in your 2nd match in charge when you are looking to get wins to build momentum and to move up the rankings.
-
Prijovic nice goal!
-
That's right George that match in Belgium is the most complete performance the NT has had since the 2014 World Cup. Belgium had a couple chances in the first half but the team worked hard defensively and in the 2nd half Mitroglou finished off his chance in clinical fashion. The team was then under pressure when Tachtsidis got the red card in the 65th and Belgium were coming in waves. Lukaku equalized in the 90th to rescue them a point but I was still happy with the overall performance and Greece could have won if not for being down to 10 men and Belgium has not lost a competitive home match since 2011 I believe. If they would have won that game it would have made Belgium sweat for first in the group.
-
That's right we have no style of play the last 4 years. We used to be built around great defending and when we grabbed a 1-0 lead it would be nearly impossible for the opponent to score an equalizer as the team would stifle the opponent and run down the clock. It wasn't pretty but the results were wins. Even when the team would fall behind or need a goal like in the World Cup we got it from Samaras late in stoppage time to Ivory Coast and vs Costa Rica the team was fighting hard and Sokratis of all the guys puts in the equalizer for his 1st international goal to send the game to extra time. Now its seems like the guys are just out there with no plan and some are not even giving a crap about there performance they just seem interested in getting an appearance. On the home atmosphere it has been lacking of late but there was enthusiasm in the matches vs Belgium and Bosnia I think that will be evident again in the next campaign, hosting the Nations League games at OAKA didn't help with so many empty seats visible they should have kept it at the Karaiskakis stadium.
-
It's very depressing J1078, I read since the 2016 Euro qualifiers the NT record in 41 matches is 13W 9D 19L. Just pathetic and most of the losses are to average or minnow teams aside from the loses to Belgium and Croatia. I can accept a loss to Belgium like the 1-2 defeat in Athens but not to countries like Estonia, faroes, North Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia etc. I don't know what the problem is when they play these crap sides I remember Ranieri laughing in press conferences saying they will win and expect to win these games like the ones vs Finland, North Ireland and Faroe Islands only to come out totally flat. The mentality has to change, hopefully it will because when we played Belgium to a draw in Brussels and even the defeat in Greece the team looked more sharp and played with more purpose. Maybe vs the top countries in the upcoming Euro qualifiers we will see the same. I can only hope so.
-
-
Yup exactly, I was very optimistic for the upcoming years after that World Cup. I knew it would be a tough transition without Karagounis there but I definitely thought with our roster and the group we were handed for the 2016 Euro qualifiers Romania, N Ireland, Hungary, Finland, Faroes that Greece were a lock to finish in the top 2. Finishing last in that group and missing the 2016 Euros did immense damage to the team and they have not recovered since and winning matches that should be a given as was the case with Santos like vs Estonia, Faroes, Finland, Hungary etc. have become very tricky encounters.
-
ya it would have been a 50/50 with Holland. Greece were penalties away from the World Cup quarter finals and looks what has happened in the last 4 years, total disappointment.
-
lol true.. but he made some crazy saves I remember that header from Mitro in extra time when he tipped it over the bar I thought we were on our way to the quarters.
-
Ya George that's a big problem for us going forward. Who can score at the same rate Mitro did? Koulouris? Karelis? dont think they are even close to his top level.
-
^^ I watched that game about a week ago and we played with so much pace, the team created so many chances and was unlucky not to score a 2nd goal because of the great goalkeeping from Navas. Total night and day difference to the current NT which in a lot of games has so much trouble moving the ball effectively in the final third of the pitch. Mantalos has no confidence lately he had terrible control and ruined our attack in the last few games. Bakasetas still has yet to score for the NT in 20 appearances and I just dont see him working out for the Ethniki so I think its time to move on from him.
-
From Pot 3 I will definitely take North Ireland, Israel, Bulgaria even Norway . As I posted before I dont want Greece up against Finland anymore. Im excited for this draw and I hope its as straight forward as possible, I cant stand to think we may miss out on a 3rd consecutive major tournament.
-
I cant believe Greece did not top this group with relative ease and to not finish in 3rd is so embarrassing. A total blown opportunity.
-
Masouras had a good performance, overall very steady. Bakasetas should not be called up, but I think he will be going forward.
-
True Greece do have problems coping with quick teams like a South Korea. Would love to draw England and just see Greece beat them in a competitive match and just stick it to the Eglesi ?
-
Poland Czech Republic North Ireland Gibraltar San Marino I wouldn't mind the over hype that is England. Also Austria from Pot 2. How is the Czeck Republic still a pot 2 team they have been in poor shape in the last few years.
-
J1078 my friend it sucks seeing Greece in pot 4 that's the thing that really annoys me. From Pot 1 I will take Poland and England all day compared to the other teams that have much more quality. Italy is struggling but I cant see them missing a 2nd major tournament in a row so I wouldn't want them but they would be my third choice. Lets just hope we avoid Germany from pot 2 and say Serbia from Pot 3 the other teams in that pot dont concern me that much. Skibbe with all his short falls got Greece to the playoffs in a difficult WCUP group and if not for injury to Manolas we would have been more competitive vs Croatia. Lets hope we have everyone healthy and have a good set up from the coach and we should be in the mix for 2nd spot. I cant wait for the draw.
-
Tough loss today 1-0 in Austria. Not a good week for Greek football.
-
Greece will be fine just had a run of bad luck. Not qualifying for the Euro 2016 was very tough since it was such an easy group that Greece were given and more teams could qualify that cycle. Missing the last WCUP sucked but a lot of people said that Bosnia would best us for 2nd spot and we knew Belgium was always going to top the group. Losing to Croatia in the playoff was a blow but they are a quality side that went all the way to the final. When a country has to qualify from Europe where there are many great footballing nations its going to be difficult especially for the World Cup. Its not like Greece is playing in CONCACAF vs totally weak teams and unlike Canada a country who cant qualify for a world cup for 32 years and has not even come close for 20 years that is disgraceful and worrisome. Greece will be back, the EPO, coach and coaches staff and most the players have to start getting better prepared for these upcoming matches starting in March.
-
Its tough times Dean, we have some good players like Manolas and Sokratis many countries would love to have that CB combo. Fortounis can be creative in attack and Mitroglou is a good finisher. There are some iffy selections like Bakasetas and Mantalos but even still with them in the lineup how do they not beat Estonia? Ive said it here after that CR loss at the WCUP we have had a bad run of luck and didn't help with the EPO hiring Ranieri who screwed things up in those first three games in Euro 2016 qualifying.
-
Ya man I know. I was talking with some Greek buddies of mine they cant believe we are in Pot 4, its embarrassing! With Karagounis and Katsouranis and Reghagel and Santos at the helm we had a 10 year run of winning matches most all be it 1-0 but we were winning and beating tough sides like Spain, Croatia etc and qualified for World Cups and Euros and now look how south everything has gone in the last 4 years. I will hope for the best draw and I will back the team and pray we can somehow grab 2nd place.
-
I was thinking God we could get France or Spain with Germany... That would end any chance of qualifying right away. Ideally I would want 1.Poland 2.Chzech, Austria or I will take even Iceland as they are in poor form lately 3.North Ireland, Norway, Israel (dont want to see Finland anymore) 4. Greece 5. Gibraltar 6. Andorra I pray to the Good Lord we get something like this...