Phantis Forums

Cyprus vs Ireland

bides

The "Irish FA" or the "FA of Ireland"?

Which Ireland is Cyprus playing? :huh:

Btw, whether North or south, all people of Ireland love to take a holiday in Cyprus. When Derry City drew APOEL, local fans were happy because "the climate is good, the food is good and the people are warm and friendly".

Don't expect the Irish fans to leave immediately after the match! :)

After watching this game I thought i was watching Brazil not Cyprus after Ireland scored there fluky goal it was all Cyprus..I couldnt believe what these players were doing on the pitch..They finally showed what they are capable of, the talent and the manoeuvers they were pulling was outstanding..Bravo paithia keep it up hopefully you can play half as good against France..Play for the fanella nothing else..

After watching this game I thought i was watching Brazil not Cyprus after Ireland scored there fluky goal it was all Cyprus..I couldnt believe what these players were doing on the pitch..They finally showed what they are capable of, the talent and the manoeuvers they were pulling was outstanding..Bravo paithia keep it up hopefully you can play half as good against France..Play for the fanella nothing else..

couldnt agree anymore, legends, absolute legends, i had to pinch myself to check i was not dreaming, i can only pray and pray to god they take that kind of talent, commitment and passion towrds euro 2008 qualifying

Republic of Ireland ace Shay Given knows the side must improve in their make-or-break World Cup qualifier against Switzerland.

Brian Kerr's men kept their World Cup hopes alive with a somewhat fortunate 1-0 win over Cyprus on Saturday.

Ireland were indebted to Given for the win with the Newcastle shot-stopper producing heroics to keep out Cyprus including a wonderful penalty save from Ioannis Okkas.

Ireland know nothing more than a win against Switzerland will guarantee them a top-two finish in Group Four, and with it at least a play-off place.

Given has called on his team-mates to rise to the challenge and keep their hopes of reaching Germany alive.

"Maybe we were a bit fortunate to get the three points, but you take what you get, and it's what we came for," said Given.

"We know we didn't play well, particularly in the first half when our performance was unacceptable, giving the ball away too easily and leaving ourselves very open at the back at times.

"We were very lucky to come through that first half, but when you don't play so well, it's important you try to keep a clean sheet, and we did that.

"The lads in front of me at least managed to get in some great blocks, while I made some saves when called upon and we got the win we wanted.

"It means we're still in the World Cup and in with a chance of getting to Germany next year, although we know we can - and we must - play better.

"But there's no point being negative because we have to be positive going into the game with Switzerland, and our morale is still good.

"In a game like last night the result makes up for any concerns over the performance, because as we all know, football is a strange game and often you can play well and end up with nothing.

"I wouldn't say we're nervous when we get a lead. We just didn't play well, and they created some problems. I was surprised at just how pumped up they were. They were no mugs.

"But any time you represent your country, you are proud to play, and they showed they are a decent team with some good players, in particular the two guys up front who play for Olympiakos.

"It didn't take a rocket scientist to tell us we needed to improve after the break, and we managed that, creating a couple of chances late on and we should have killed the game off.

"But at 1-0 a team always has a chance of scoring, especially towards the end of a game, as I'm sure people remember when Israel scored a late goal.

"I suppose there was a little bit of nervousness amongst the fans, but we managed to keep our concentration and we kept them out."

Archived