Phantis Forums

Who would you want in the group?

dark_horse

With the current system for the EURO2008 draw, there is a possibility of a fiasco for UEFA: Imagine all the big football nations in the same group, something like Holland, Italy, Spain and France in one group and you will understand why that would be a bad Euro.

There are some hints in the media (sportfm) that the system may be re-assessed and the 4 groups may be decided by the UEFA classification of the teams to follow more orthodox drawing schemes, as the one based on the FIFA world rankings.

In any case, with the current EURO rankings it appears that we can still have an interesting draw, but look what extremes we may get in the groups:

Austria

Sweden

Romania

Russia

Netherlands

Italy

Spain/Germany

France

We are lucky that as the current system stands, France seems also to be in a disadvantageous position in terms of the draw, so because Platini is the president, I hope that he does something about it !!! Already, the disqualification of England is a big blow to the organizers and the hosts who will lose a significant amount of money.

Anyway, without fear, whatever the draw, we will face it like Greeks and I expect at least 3 battles in the field for our 3 group-stage games next summer. I am sure that, depending on the opponents and the draw, we will see the same recipe by Otto but with more "spice" in the attack and why not, I believe that our boys can do it again, especially because this time we have a better team than the one who lifted the trophy 4 years ago.

Good luck to us for the forthcoming draws.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geok you made a good point, the seedings in this year's drawing for Euro 2008 is totally screwed up. The seedings should go according to the FIFA rankings (let alone the World Cup), Sweden for example should not be in pot 2 with teams like Italy, Czech Republic, and Croatia. Sweden had a sub-par qualifyer for Euro 2008, there World Cup qualifying was better. It puzzles me why France is ranked so low to pot 4? This could be the worst drawing ever in the history of European Football. :(

Well, the time for the draw is here! I'm sooo excited!! This is one of the most exciting parts of a tournament! The draw will happen on Sunday at 11pm CET (1pm Greek time). GOOD LUCK ELLADARA! :gr:

I had to make correction on the draw time - Dark Horse

I'd like:

GREECE

Croatia

Portugal  :P

Turkey

No way!!! Too many "derbies". Turkey and Portugal would be VERY motivated, and Croatia are a fantastic team. Solid at the back and great on the counter... God forbid you're ever involved in a group fixing scam you'd get us battered!!! :P

Portugal will come in dedicated but once Ronaldo / Simao are shut off they will stutter and lose.....theyre not as strong as they were...

Turkey will be motivated, we will be too just as much.

I dont want Italy, Germany, or Turkey. I do want France, Portugal, Czech, or Spain. Greece has had recent success against these teams. Poland, Romania, Sweden, Croatia, and Russia (although Russia beat us in the last Euro) are beatable.

If Greece draws in Group C, they will play all their games in Switzerland. If Greece draws in Group D, then will play all their games in Austria. Also, all Pot 1 teams play all their games in one city, I think.

Moment of truth is just about upon us.

Whomever we draw it's going to be very difficult to get out of the group.

I don't think Croatia is the team that most people think they are. Much like Spain, they are great at qualifying but are lacklustre during the actual tournament.

I secretly hope we get Italy. I can't recall us playing the makaronades in the last few decades.

But we'll see what happens later today.

Time to book the tickets for Austria....Russia again!

thank god we avoided the krauts!

wtf! spain also...this is a good omen :D

Sverige!! OMG! This ould either be a total nightmare for me or complete euphoria if my two countries GRE and SWE makes it past the group play :tup:

GREECE

RUSSIA

SPAIN

SWEDEN

This is a very good draw for Greece. I can't wait to go to Austria this summer! I'll make plans to go see all 3 matches!

ELLADARA OMADARA! :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr: :nw: :gr:

Dont you mean ALL SIX matches? :tup: :gr: :tup:

This is my prediction:

ELLAS

PORTUGAL

CROATIA

POLAND

To be honest with OTTO in charge ELLAS will fear no-one :gr:

Good "prediction" MR Red :P

The draw is actually over. Check my previous post mate :D

Give me the team ELLAS will beat in the final so i can put my house on it :P

:gr: WHAT A TOP GROUP ONCE AGAIN :gr:

All the anti-greeks will be thinking that all the draws are rigged :LOL: :LOL:

It is rigged, 100% !!!

God is Greek, there was never doubt about it.

We even got the scedule up with us. I think Spain will beat the Russians and will force them to play anything they've got in their second name, meaning that we will hit them in the counter easily, and we know how vulnerable they are. Lets hope that the last game against Spain will be typical, without us needing a result.

The good day starts from the morning and the morning is marvellous...

SHKWSE TO!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

The draw could have been a lot worse.

Look at Group C. Already named the "group of death".

So it's pay back time with the Russians.

We recently lost to Spain in our last friendly so I reckon we can take them.

Last time we played Sweden we beat them away so I don't fear them either.

The real concern (and we have many miles to cover before we can even think of this) is that should we progress out of our group, then we will face a group C team. Either Italy or France or Netherlands or even that country that produces most of our strippers, Romania!

I personally wanted Italy in our group. For many reasons, but also because I don't fear them.

Croatia is another country I was secretly hoping for as well. So they beat England and what, they're now the world champions? Give me a break....they lost to the gypsies 3 days earlier before going to Wembley.

anyways adelfia....exciting times ahead.

Archived