Phantis Forums

Euro 2008 predictions

dark_horse

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Myhre has been taken off the roster for his crap performance. :P

Norway, I know will get back in this race unless Greece can stop them in there tracks. :gr:

...or Nikopolidis can stop his crap performances :tdown:

• 2 weeks later...

Standings after June 2

Group A

Poland 8 19

Portugal 7 14

Serbia 7 14

Finland 7 11

Belgium 7 7

Kazakhstan 7 5

Armenia 6 4

Azerbaijan 7 4

Group B

France 6 15

Italy 6 13

Ukraine 6 12

Scotland 6 12

Lithuania 6 7

Georgia 7 6

Faroe Islands 7 0

Group C

Greece 6 15

Turkey 6 13

Bosnia-Herzegovina 6 10

Norway 6 10

Hungary 6 6

Malta 6 4

Moldova 6 2

Group D

Germany 6 16

Czech Republic 7 14

Republic of Ireland 7 13

Slovakia 6 9

Wales 6 7

Cyprus 6 4

San Marino 6 0

Group E

Croatia 6 16

Russia 6 14

Israel 7 14

England 6 11

F.Y.R. Macedonia 7 7

Estonia 6 0

Andorra 6 0

Group F

Northern Ireland 6 13

Sweden 5 12

Spain 6 12

Denmark 4 7

Liechtenstein 6 4

Iceland 6 4

Latvia 5 3

Group G

Romania 6 14

Netherlands 6 14

Bulgaria 6 12

Belarus 6 7

Albania 6 6

Slovenia 6 4

Luxembourg 6 0

The match between Denmark - Sweden was forfited, pending on UEFA ruling

Standings after June 6

Group A Pld Pts

Poland 9 19

Serbia 7 14

Portugal 7 14

Finland 8 14

Belgium 8 7

Armenia 7 7

Kazakhstan 8 6

Azerbaijan 8 5

Group B Pld Pts

France 7 18

Italy 7 16

Scotland 7 15

Ukraine 6 12

Lithuania 7 7

Georgia 8 6

Faroe Islands 8 0

Group C Pld Pts

Greece 7 18 :nw:

Bosnia-Herzegovina 7 13

Turkey 6 13

Norway 7 13

Hungary 7 6

Malta 7 4

Moldova 7 2

Group D Pld Pts

Germany 7 19

Czech Republic 7 14

Republic of Ireland 7 13

Slovakia 7 9

Wales 6 7

Cyprus 6 4

San Marino 6 0

Group E Pld Pts

Croatia 7 17

Israel 8 17

Russia 7 15

England 7 14

F.Y.R. Macedonia 7 7

Estonia 7 0

Andorra 7 0

Group F Pld Pts

Sweden 6 15 :nw:

Spain 7 15

Northern Ireland 6 13

Denmark 5 10

Iceland 7 4

Liechtenstein 7 4

Latvia 6 3

Group G Pld Pts

Romania 7 17

Bulgaria 7 15

Netherlands 6 14

Albania 7 9

Belarus 7 7

Slovenia 7 4

Luxembourg 7 0

Pld: Matches played Pts: Points

Qualifying race too close to call

Thursday 7 June 2007

With one year to go until the UEFA EURO 2008™ finals the 14 qualifying positions alongside hosts Austria and Switzerland remain very much up for grabs with several strong contenders in each group for the two places on offer. uefa.com rounds up the state of play after this week's fixtures, with crucial matches to come between August and November.

Group A

Poland missed the chance to go eight points clear at the top after Wednesday night's 1-0 defeat in Armenia. Portugal and Serbia were not in action and remain within five points of the leaders with two games in hand. Finland's defeat of Belgium put them level with that pair, having played a match extra. Some of those games in hand are used on 22 August, when Poland watch on as Portugal visit Armenia, Serbia go to Belgium and Finland welcome Kazakhstan.

Group B

France are still top of the group following their 1-0 defeat of Georgia, two points ahead of Italy - who they visit next on 8 September having already won the home leg of their FIFA World Cup final rematch last autumn. Italy won in Lithuania last night to keep their one-point advantage over Scotland, victors in the Faroe Islands. Ukraine, not in action, are three further points back with a game in hand.

Group C

Nikolaos Liberopoulos's last-gasp winner for Greece against bottom side Moldova last night kept the reigning champions five points ahead at the top. Bosnia-Herzegovina slotted into second place with their 1-0 victory against Malta due to their superior head-to-head record over Turkey, who have a game in hand, and Norway, comfortable winners against Hungary.

Group D

Germany's 2-1 home win against Slovakia was the only game played in the section and their second success in four days took them five points clear of the Czech Republic and a point further ahead of the Republic of Ireland. The top three have all played seven games, as have Slovakia who are four points adrift of Ireland. Rock-bottom San Marino have a chance for pride and rare points when they welcome nearest rivals Cyprus on 22 August.

Group E

Just three points separate the top four in this tightest of pools after leaders Croatia were held 0-0 by visiting Russia. Croatia are joined on 17 points by Israel, who won 2-0 in rainy Andorra but have played a game more. Russia are two points adrift and England one further back after their 3-0 win in Estonia - who like Andorra have lost all seven fixtures ahead of their 22 August showdown. England's September meetings with Israel and Russia at Wembley have a decisive look.

Group F

Sweden's result against Denmark is still pending after Saturday's abandonment but they are in first place thanks to a 5-0 victory against Iceland. Spain are up into the top two after winning in Liechtenstein, ahead of surprise packages Northern Ireland whose first game under new coach Nigel Worthington is on 22 August at home to the grand duchy. Denmark also remain in contention after overcoming Latvia.

Group G

Romania won in Slovenia on Saturday and repeated the trick at home last night to take the outright lead. Bulgaria's two victories against Belarus means they are two points behind with the Netherlands one further back, though they have a game in hand after sitting out this week. Like the leading pair, they are unbeaten. Albania's double against Luxembourg means they are in fourth, six points off second place.

• 1 month later...

BetFair odds of teams qualifying for Euro 2008

Group A

Portugal 1.07

Serbia 1.82

Poland 2.02

Finland 6.20

Group B

France 1.09

Italy 1.11

Ukraine 4.40

Scotland 6.80

Group C

Turkey 1.17

Greece 1.19

Norway 2.54

Bosnia 11.00

Group D

Germany 1.01

Czech Republic 1.23

Republic of Ireland 4.30

Group E

Croatia 1.18

England 1.57

Russia 2.28

Israel 8.20

Group F

Sweden 1.07

Spain 1.17

Denmark 4.30

Northern Ireland 6.00

Group G

Netherlands 1.16

Romania 1.26

Bulgaria 3.05

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Qualifying round

Group A Pld Pts

Poland 11 21

Finland 11 19

Portugal 10 17

Serbia 10 16

Belgium 10 11

Armenia 8 8

Kazakhstan 10 7

Azerbaijan 8 5

Group B Pld Pts

Scotland 9 21

Italy 9 20

France 9 19

Ukraine 8 13

Lithuania 9 10

Georgia 9 7

Faroe Islands 9 0

Group C Pld Pts

Greece 8 19

Norway 9 17

Turkey 8 17

Bosnia-Herzegovina 9 13

Hungary 9 9

Malta 8 5

Moldova 9 5

Group D Pld Pts

Germany 8 22

Czech Republic 9 20

Republic of Ireland 9 14

Slovakia 9 10

Wales 8 10

Cyprus 8 10

San Marino 9 0

Group E Pld Pts

Croatia 9 23

England 9 20

Russia 9 18

Israel 9 17

F.Y.R. Macedonia 9 8

Estonia 10 4

Andorra 9 0

Group F Pld Pts

Sweden 8 19

Spain 9 19

Northern Ireland 9 16

Denmark 8 14

Iceland 9 8

Latvia 8 6

Liechtenstein 9 4

Group G Pld Pts

Romania 8 20

Netherlands 8 20

Bulgaria 9 18

Slovenia 9 10

Albania 8 9

Belarus 9 7

Luxembourg 9 0

• 4 weeks later...

Yes! I mean, we were really appalling at some point...

Mate, there is NO WAY England won't qualify. The media might want to sensationalise things to generate interest but you have too many top class players not to qualify.

Poor performance yesterday unfortunately.

I guess the players were too focused on Russia! :whistle:

The game was secured from early on so don't read too much into it. They were saving themselves for the big one. Avoid defeat in Russia and you've made it. Lose and you're out. Simple as that. It's like a cup game. I think you'll get your draw.

Honestly, the referee cost us the qualification. No foul by Rooney and worse, it's out of the bloody box! Even the linesman saw it!!

Second goal? What a joke, Robinson had the deflection alright and then you've got no one covering up.

Anyway, we're not out. Russia are going to Israel thinking there are going to win easely over there. I'm sure they leave with a draw and it will be up to the final game against the already-qualified Croatia.

Can't I borrow some of your Gods, please? They might help... :whistle:

Honestly, the referee cost us the qualification. No foul by Rooney and worse, it's out of the bloody box! Even the linesman saw it!!

Second goal? What a joke, Robinson had the deflection alright and then you've got no one covering up.

Anyway, we're not out. Russia are going to Israel thinking there are going to win easely over there. I'm sure they leave with a draw and it will be up to the final game against the already-qualified Croatia.

Can't I borrow some of your Gods, please? They might help... :whistle:

Yes but to be fair it evened out because England took the lead through an offside goal. And in essence, it was deserved, because at Half Time Jamie Redknapp said "Yes it was offside, but we don't care!". That's hardly a professional approach from a commentator, and if it had been the other way around he'd have been moaning for years! So you can't blame the ref. England were outplayed from the first minute to the last. They couldn't come to terms with the surface, the quick short passes and the atmosphere.

HOWEVER, I have a feeling England will make it. I think Russia will slip up in Israel. They don't travel well and Israel are a good side at home. And if it does go to the final game England will beat Croatia by at least 3 goals. Also, something else that isn't under as much scrutiny is Croatia's predicament. Playing away to Skopje isn't an easy game. If they lose, whihc is not impossible, then England will have to beat Croatia by at least 2 goals in order to go through on goal difference. That's a long shot because I think Croatia will get at least a point away to Skopje but they are by no means safe yet either.

Russia only managed a draw at home to Israel (1-1) while Croatia only managed a slim 2-1 win at home to Skopje. The group is a long way from over and probably the most exciting group of them all (along with Scotland's group).

Yes but to be fair it evened out because England took the lead through an offside goal. And in essence, it was deserved, because at Half Time Jamie Redknapp said "Yes it was offside, but we don't care!". That's hardly a professional approach from a commentator, and if it had been the other way around he'd have been moaning for years! So you can't blame the ref. England were outplayed from the first minute to the last. They couldn't come to terms with the surface, the quick short passes and the atmosphere.

HOWEVER, I have a feeling England will make it. I think Russia will slip up in Israel. They don't travel well and Israel are a good side at home. And if it does go to the final game England will beat Croatia by at least 3 goals. Also, something else that isn't under as much scrutiny is Croatia's predicament. Playing away to Skopje isn't an easy game. If they lose, whihc is not impossible, then England will have to beat Croatia by at least 2 goals in order to go through on goal difference. That's a long shot because I think Croatia will get at least a point away to Skopje but they are by no means safe yet either.

Russia only managed a draw at home to Israel (1-1) while Croatia only managed a slim 2-1 win at home to Skopje. The group is a long way from over and probably the most exciting group of them all (along with Scotland's group).

I agree that England did play well. However, don't forget tha Gerrard had this massive chance and bottled it. Richards had a good opportunity too.

I don't think should have won but a draw would have been a fair result.

Fairness doesn't exist in sports so that's it.

I can't see Croatia not making though. I get your point but they havee been playing well throughout these qualifiers and have been very consistant.

Russia has a young team and Israel hopefully won't lose.

Anyway, this is a nightmare and a real torture :unsure:

Archived