Phantis Forums

Euro 2008 predictions

dark_horse

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morphi I know your from England, but I'll be laughing out loud if they are to fail to go to Euro 2008. :P

Understandable, we are a laughing stock at the moment. It's funny cause the U21 are doing great and are playing entertaining football.

The crucial game will be against Israel (I don't really care about the Spain one...), if we lose, we are clearly out or we would have to pray to qualify (meaning that we would in the same situation than in 2002). If we drew, it will be a stalemate, winning would put England back on track.

I still believe that Owen Hargreaves is the key point and that the last two results would have been different with him. The way he plays is wold class, a bit like Makélélé or Essien.

However, I have to admit that Gerrard and Lampard can not played together. I thought it would work but it doesn't, especially now that they both play in the same position in their clubs. I would pick Gerrard and put Lennon on the right hand-side. It would add competition to the team.

Anyway, these qualifiers are stressful, France, Italy and Portugal are doing so-so and I'm starting to wonder if the final in 2008 will not be Scotland - Cyprus.

• 4 weeks later...

Shocks abound in EURO openers

Finland, Croatia, and Sweden are among the surprise section leaders as the UEFA EURO 2008 qualifying campaign enters its winter break.

'A good start'

Finland top a competitive Group A ahead of Serbia, Poland, Portugal and Belgium, and are looking strong under English coach Roy Hodgson. "There's a long campaign ahead, but no one can take these points from us," said experienced captain Jari Litmanen. "It's nice to make a good start for a change."

Croatia proud

Croatia opened their Group E challenge with a 0-0 draw in Russia before stepping up a gear with wins against Andorra, England, and Israel. "It's certainly nice to look down from the top of the table," said coach Slaven Bilic. "We're taking it game by game but our goal is obviously to qualify and I think we are close."

'We can play better'

The stars of qualifying so far have been Sweden, who boast a 100 percent record after four matches, and are five points clear of Denmark at the top of Group F. "We can play better but that is not important right now," said assistant coach Roland Andersson. "But it is not over, far from it."

Swedish streak

Sweden's success is in stark contrast to the fortunes of their group rivals Spain, whose chances of reaching the finals in Austria and Switzerland took a massive blow with defeats by Northern Ireland and Lars Lagerback's men. Confidence could do with a boost in Luis Aragones's side.

World Cup finalists

Drawn together in Group B, France and world champions Italy have not been showing their best form either. The 2006 FIFA World Cup finalists are currently second and third in their pool with Scotland, 1-0 winners against France on 7 October - currently topping the section.

Mediterranean neighbours

A close contest is brewing in Group C where European champions Greece are level on points with neighbours Turkey, with neither team having dropped a point - or conceded a goal - in their opening three qualifiers. Their meeting on 24 March 2007 in Greece will be a massive fixture.

Going to form

Group D is going pretty much to form with Germany and the Czech Republic occupying the positions of primacy, although the Republic of Ireland's results under new coach Steve Staunton have been disappointing. The Netherlands head Group G but can expect serious competiton from Bulgaria and Romania in the months to come.

The reality is Thrya, World Cup or European qualifyers are NEVER played once every month like the Uefa Cup or Champions League. I could understand how exciting this match can be, we all want the time to go by faster. Here's an advice: instead of focusing too much on the upcoming EURO 2008 qualifyers, let's focus on other sporting events or do some traveling like I do often. Or if you have a girlfriend, you can spend your valuable time with her. :D

• 1 month later...

Qualifying round

Group A Pld Pts

Finland 5 11

Serbia 4 10

Poland 5 10

Portugal 4 7

Belgium 5 7

Kazakhstan 5 2

Armenia 4 1

Azerbaijan 4 1

Group B Pld Pts

Scotland 4 9

France 4 9

Italy 4 7

Ukraine 3 6

Lithuania 3 4

Georgia 4 3

Faroe Islands 4 0

Group C Pld Pts

Turkey 3 9

Greece 3 9

Norway 3 6

Bosnia-Herzegovina 4 4

Malta 3 3

Hungary 4 3

Moldova 4 1

Group D Pld Pts

Germany 4 10

Czech Republic 4 10

Republic of Ireland 5 7

Slovakia 4 6

Cyprus 4 4

Wales 3 3

San Marino 4 0

Group E Pld Pts

Croatia 4 10

Russia 4 8

England 4 7

F.Y.R. Macedonia 5 7

Israel 4 7

Estonia 3 0

Andorra 4 0

Group F Pld Pts

Sweden 4 12

Denmark 3 7

Northern Ireland 4 7

Latvia 3 3

Spain 3 3

Iceland 4 3

Liechtenstein 3 0

Group G Pld Pts

Netherlands 4 10

Bulgaria 4 8

Romania 3 7

Belarus 4 4

Slovenia 3 3

Albania 3 1

Luxembourg 3 0

Pld: Matches played Pts: Points

• 1 month later...

Standings as of March 28

Team Pld Pts

Group A

Poland 7 16

Portugal 6 11

Serbia 6 11

Finland 6 11

Belgium 6 7

Kazakhstan 6 5

Azerbaijan 6 4

Armenia 5 1

Group B

Ukraine 5 12

Scotland 6 12

France 5 12

Italy 5 10

Georgia 6 6

Lithuania 5 4

Faroe Islands 6 0

Group C

Turkey 5 13

Greece 5 12 :tup:

Bosnia-Herzergovina 5 7

Norway 5 7

Hungary 5 6

Malta 5 4

Moldova 6 2

Group D

Germany 5 13

Czech Republic 6 13

Republic of Ireland 7 13

Slovakia 6 9

Wales 5 6

Cyprus 6 4

San Marino 5 0

Group E

Croatia 5 13

Israel 6 11

Russia 5 11

England 6 11

F.Y.R. Macedonia 6 7

Estonia 5 0

Andorra 5 0

Group F

Northern Ireland 6 13

Sweden 5 12 :)

Spain 5 9

Denmark 4 7

Latvia 4 3

Liechtenstein 5 3

Iceland 5 3

Group G

Netherlands 6 14

Romania 5 11

Bulgaria 5 9

Belarus 5 7

Slovenia 5 4

Albania 5 3

Luxembourg 5 0

what's up with N Ireland - on fire

Very well-coached under Lawrie Sanchez! :tup:

There's tight marking at the back, decent circulation of the ball (even without Gillespie!) and a deadly hitman up front!

"And that is why we sing..." (to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic):

"We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

We're not Brazil, we're Northern Ireland

But it's all the same to me!" :D

For those of you who saw the goals of the N. Ireland-Sweden game, all I have to say is it's been a long time since we saw so well-taken three goals. The move made before Elmander scored the goal, using his body and stance to get the ball to his favourite feet w/o giving any chance to the opposition to get to the ball, the chipping volley by Healy and the cheeky finish at the third goal were all to be taught to the U-12 kids at academies!

And Elmander is argubly one of the most in-form players in European play this season!! :tup:

It looks like the following teams who are in contention for Euro 2008 are as listed:

Group A - Portugal, Poland, Serbia, Finland

Group B - France, Italy, Ukraine, Scotland

Group C - Greece, Turkey, Norway

Group D - Germany, Czech Republic, Ireland

Group E - Croatia, Israel, England, Russia

Group F - Northern Ireland, Sweden, Spain, Denmark

Group G - Netherlands, Romania, Bulgaria

Belgium, Bosnia, and Slovakia are mathematically alive, but if one of those teams do lose the next match coming up this June, there finished.

• 1 month later...

Group Betting until June 2

Group A

Portugal 1.72

Poland 3.50

Serbia 4.33

Finland 51.00

Belgium 67.00

Group B

France 1.61

Italy 2.75

Ukraine 10.00

Scotland 17.00

Group C

Turkey 1.61

Greece 2.75

Norway 7.00

Bosnia-Herzegovina 41.00

Group D

Germany 1.22

Czech Republic 4.33

Rep Of Ireland 17.00

Slovakia 41.00

Group E

Croatia 1.66

England 3.75

Russia 4.33

Israel 34.00

Group F

Spain 2.25

Sweden 2.50

Denmark 4.50

Northern Ireland 13.00

Group G

Netherlands 1.28

Romania 4.00

Bulgaria 10.00

• 2 weeks later...

Never count Norway out, they might have costed themselves 2 matches, courtesy of there crap goalkeeper. On paper, they have an "easy" schedule from June thru November.

Don't believe me, come look:

02.06.2007 v Malta (H) 20:05

06.06.2007 v Hungary (H) 19:00

08.09.2007 v Moldova (A) TBD

12.09.2007 v Greece (H) TBD

17.10.2007 v Bosnia- Herzegovina (A) TBD

17.11.2007 v Turkey (H) TBD

21.11.2007 v Malta (A) TBD

Archived