Phantis Forums

EURO 2003 Sweden

Posted Image

I saw an NT beyond any comparison and recognition in the first 3 10' periods of the game guys!

Worst that our worst performances during the last years!

And most of all! Ioannidis! I could not recognise the man! Slow, lacking the psychological drive we know he operated by, off the core of the games mentality as it was turning out!

And then at the end both the team and Ioannidis suddenly woke up from the state of hypnosis. Ioannidis trusted a place to Charisis (OSFP) and he played the best Basketball I have seen him play in the last quarter. And the team finally decided to win that damn match!

But it took them a while to wake up! Ioannidis has stayed in the sidelines too long and it showed yesterday. He persisted in using Tsakalidis at the beginning when the man could not move as fast as the Croats under the basket. He was asleep, despite his volume and height allowing him to score 6 or 7 easy points at the begining!

When one sees Fotsis, cannot fail to recognise the signs of a great player in the way he moves. Ioannidis has two world class players in Dikoudis and Fotsis if they work hard. BUT! While Ioannidis saw immediatelly that Dikoudis could not help much on the day, he kept Fotsis in and the damn brat ruined 80% of the situations when the ball was in his hands! He must be the most selfish player and rotten character on earth! But he did one good! He drove Ioannidis mad and woke him up enough to win us the game with a two tower choice (Tsakalidis, Retzias) when the Croat tall players reached 4 fouls.

Chatzivretas was great both as our top scorer with 14 points and in Defence.

Seriously Fotsis is a great player but needs to stop thinking of himself as a god and start work. He was bad yesterday and still scored 12 points (in a high scoring - no good defence by both teams - first half anyway).

Kakiouzis is an expert in turning situations around and was not used enough by Ioannidis. Pitty! We were 11 points behind even some minutes before the end of the game and he could have helped in turning the match around erlier.

Great comeback and great win anyway, but it gave us a hard opening match which may take its toll concerning tiredeness tomorrow or later on...

Well done to the team...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Panathinaikos... and now the BB NT.......... I wish Mehmet the Conqueror... could live and see that :D

I think Fatih Sultan Mehmet is quite satisfied with conquering Istanbul..... ;)

The game and atmosphere was just great.....i dont regret travelling 4 hrs for this game. Turkiye could have won...but we made some bad mistakes the last 4 minutes when we were leading with 5 points!

Congrats to Greece.....and as for Turkiye we better beat Croatia.

p.s. the atmosphere was really over my expectation...both sides never stopped cheering and the huge Turkish flag was awesome.....

megali niki epi tous tourkous 75-70. haname me 13 pts alla ekane allages o ioanidis and the scene changed. rom what i heard on the radio ( straight after armenia vs greece) till 7:00am in melb the atmosphere was electric in swededn. about 3000 fans of them 1,000-1,500 greeks and turks as well. in 1st half it was all turkey hearing them then after that the ELLAS , ELLAS CHANT WAS ALWAYS HEARD AND THE NATIONAL ANTHEM AT THE END WAS INSPIRATIONAL.

also good to hear no fights occured considering they sat next to each other from photos i've seen. why is it it only happens in soccer?

PAME STOUS 8 KAI BLEPOUME META

I have only one thing to say...

Ton FOTSI tha ton SOUVLISW! TA NEVRA MOUUUUUUUU! :angry:

This kid is waisting his talent due to his immaturity!

And his immaturity is simply unbelievable for a man who has been coached by Obradivic and had a pass from the NBA!

Still he scored 12 points again! Immagine what he could do if he could stop acting like a brat and concentrate in the game!

Tsakalidis was in another court today... great game by O..... (I forgot his name) the Turkish Tall guy who plays for the Pistons (I think) ... Great player!

Great games by Retzias and the Captain Sigalas (I did not expect him to be so good, ... I was happily surprised! )

Bravo to the NT. Bad start great gradual recovery!

Bravo!

Congratulations to the Greek team! We've made agreat start to the game but we blew it at the end!

Mehmet Okur(Second Mouse mentioned his name) was the inspiring player at the field! He played perfect! I wish to say the same things for our other NBA player Hidayet Turkoglu, he played terrible and made too many silly mistakes! :angry:

I really liked watching the new Greek player of Ulker! He played very good! This might cause trouble to me as i support Efes Pilsen! :D

Anyways good win for the Greek NT...

I agree with you about Hidayet, this guy is supposed to be a NBA-star but ever since last year he has been playing very selfish and doesnt care if this hurts the teams performance. Yesterday he made som many bad calls in the last minutes that it costed us the win......but it makes me more irritated that Aydin Ors persists on keeping him on the floor!

Mehmet Okur is a true star...this guy will become one of our greatest b-ballers ever.

Mirsad, havent reached his old form yet...when he does Turkiye will become much stronger.

Kerem Tunceri, is good but not enough to have an impact on the game...he does what he supposed to but not more. I like the younger pointguard Ender Aslan....he is only 20 and is playing with a great confidence.

I think we lost the game because of some ego players and because we dont have a depth in our squad...when Okur was in foul trouble there was noone to take his place...

Ibo, started off poorly but made some crucial shots...he could also play better.

If we play more like a team than i think we will have big chance to play semifinals....but if Hidayet continues his selfnishness than i think we have to settle with quarterfinals as the most!

I am looking for someone who owes me an Inskender Kebab..... Has anyone seen him??? :whistle: :whistle:

Anyway I think that our team is great... They adapt their play to each opponent depending on their style of play. That is whay we always look asleep in the first quarter. To be honest I do not expect our national team to win games by 20 and 30 points difference. This is not our style of play. I think that each game will go similarily to the others. Yesturday, against Ukraine it had to be the whole first half in order for our players to wake up... When they did in the second half, we played 3 minutes serious basketball and we found ourselves covering the big 20 points gap within 2 minutes.... This team has great players and I cant see an oponent strong enough to beat us. On a good day perhaps Spain can do something or the Yugos... As far as Ioannidis is concerned he is indeed very calm compared to what he was 5 years ago. Who knows, perhaps is the birth of his first child that made him so patient... The only critisism that I can say, is that he shows too much confidence in Tsakalidis, and the man is pure meat!!!! :tdown: No technique whatsoever, no streangth, no rebounds... He is the only player that his performance in the last 3 games was a disaster. I hope he doesnt play again in the next games (I never did like him anyway...)

Mouse, stop firing at Fotsis, he is probably the best player we have, and the guy plays well compared to hil PAO performances... Of course he can play even better, but he gets drugged by all the other players when they dont play serious...

Finally, I can smell my Iskender kebab coming..... :tup:

I am looking for someone who owes me an Inskender Kebab..... Has anyone seen him??? :whistle: :whistle:

Anyway I think that our team is great... They adapt their play to each opponent depending on their style of play. That is whay we always look asleep in the first quarter. To be honest I do not expect our national team to win games by 20 and 30 points difference. This is not our style of play. I think that each game will go similarily to the others. Yesturday, against Ukraine it had to be the whole first half in order for our players to wake up... When they did in the second half, we played 3 minutes serious basketball and we found ourselves covering the big 20 points gap within 2 minutes.... This team has great players and I cant see an oponent strong enough to beat us. On a good day perhaps Spain can do something or the Yugos... As far as Ioannidis is concerned he is indeed very calm compared to what he was 5 years ago. Who knows, perhaps is the birth of his first child that made him so patient... The only critisism that I can say, is that he shows too much confidence in Tsakalidis, and the man is pure meat!!!! :tdown: No technique whatsoever, no streangth, no rebounds... He is the only player that his performance in the last 3 games was a disaster. I hope he doesnt play again in the next games (I never did like him anyway...)

Mouse, stop firing at Fotsis, he is probably the best player we have, and the guy plays well compared to hil PAO performances... Of course he can play even better, but he gets drugged by all the other players when they dont play serious...

Finally, I can smell my Iskender kebab coming..... :tup:

I will SMS it to you.... :D

Was it one or two plates of Iskender...?

At least send me an MMS instead man, if I cant eat and smell it, at least I will be able to SEE it!!! :D :D

IBO was the only one that performed well from the Turkish team... The parade of the NBAers did not go very well. For one more time it is proven that NBA is just SHOW and marketing and has nothing to do with basketball! All the NBA players (not just Turkish) cannot perform when they have to face zone defences! This was proven during the weekend. Stojakovic for example against Russia was out of the game. Same with Turksan and Turkoglu against Greece.

At least send me an MMS instead man, if I cant eat and smell it, at least I will be able to SEE it!!! :D :D

IBO was the only one that performed well from the Turkish team... The parade of the NBAers did not go very well. For one more time it is proven that NBA is just SHOW and marketing and has nothing to do with basketball! All the NBA players (not just Turkish) cannot perform when they have to face zone defences! This was proven during the weekend. Stojakovic for example against Russia was out of the game. Same with Turksan and Turkoglu against Greece.

Mehmet Okur was our best player against Greece and he plays at Detroit Pistons! :)

Mehmet Okur was our best player against Greece and he plays at Detroit Pistons! :)

Good point Kerr...

Anyway, congrats to both teams for progressing into the quarters. I thought the game against Greece was exciting, but boy was it eclipsed by the Croatia match... The officiating in this tournament so far has left a lot to be desired!!

The only reason why Okur played well, is because our piece of meat centre forward (Tsakalidis) was cruising into space, at the time of the match!! He had 15 points in the first half, and when Rentzias marked him he scored only 5! :tup:

What did you think of Sigalas? I think he was the one along with Rentzias that won the match! :nw:

At least send me an MMS instead man, if I cant eat and smell it, at least I will be able to SEE it!!! :D  :D

Dude, Mehmet Okur (Detroit Pistons) scored 14 points in the first quarter....and totally 24p..... ;)

Okur was the best player on the floor but he go into foul trouble too early....and since we didnt have any good substitute for him we sufferd everytime he sat on the bench!

I didnt think that Ibo performed well...in contrary he should have played much better. But Hidayet was a big dissapointment but he played better against Croatia though...

p.s. i didnt see that Kerr had responded about Okur... :D

Greetings all,

Just saw the S & M - Turkey game, which was very entertaining. It's a shame we won't get to see again the wonderful Mehmet Okur who is simply fantastic. Too bad that he was all alone in all the games Tukey played (I saw them all except vs Ukraine). Turksan and Turkoglu were very dissapinting ad thei perfomances below par. Ibo had his moments but I think he lacked the help of his team-mates (through screening) in order to get more shots wihout pressure I also think that Turkey was let down by it play-makers who were too inconsistant an lacked clarity of mind a crucial times. We on the other hand, regard as very lucky in having a player like Harisis who saved our buts in all thre games, travelling to Sweden virtually the last moment. Ultimately, Turkey lack the metal strenght to go further and that last two ournaments have proved that Turkey isn't as good as many claim. With only 4 class players, you can't go far. There is no depth from the bench as opposed to Greece who have 12 player's who can play anytime. Not forgeting to mention Papadopoulos, Tsartsaris, Papamakarios, Pelekanos, Schortsianitis, Diamantopoulos (top scorer in A1), Liadelis, Kommatos and Glyniadakhs who were cut or not called up. That's the reason why I think we can go all the way without playing that well. Due tothe fact that anyone one can be a hero on their day.

The best impressions so far have come through Harisis, Hatzivrettas and Retzias. Sigalas has been inspirational and the heart and soul of he team. His leadership on and off the court is inspiring.

I hope that Alvertis can find his "shooting rifle" after scoring 19 points yesterday. We need him if we are to go all the way. I also hope that Dikoudis has recovered from his injuries cos he's definately a player that can score 15 points a game.

Tsakalidis have also been below par and I find him too slow to keep up with fast tempo's.

I'm worried about Papanikolaou's spinal injury( he received 18 injections before the Turkey game with some of those being injected in his spine!!!) since Ioannidis will need him to play good defence against the other small and power forwards.

Finally Fotsis has managed to piss me off with his immaturity and loss of concentration. That kid will never learn. He owes everyting to his natural talent. I he can be a more team player, Greece will benefit greatly.

To sum up, I think we need to improve and play more for each other than ourselves in order to have a chance to beat Spain in the semi (i'm sure we'll beat Nowitzki's gang).

Finally, I think that Spain and France are the favourites but I simply can't write off the former Yugo's. They just won't die eventhouh they are missing Bodiroga, Rebraca, Divac, Milojevic, Radosevic, Skepanovic, Tomasevic, Racosevic, Tarlac, Cabarkapa and no 2 nba draft Darko Milicic!!!! They are missing a whole f___ckn team!!!! scary, huh having them, ain't it? To add, Pedja only played half a game today with that nasty sprain!

Respect!

Pame gia to xruso reeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Unfortunately, the Germans are out and we are playing against the Italians

I prefered the Germans (who basically dont even know what basketball is) than the experienced and passionate Italians!!!

I never had faith to Nowitski and all that crap, but I think the Italians have better players and more depth as a team.

We have to be very carefull, and hopefully that piece of meat Tsakalidis will wake up for that game!

I agree that Italians are tougher opponent than the Germans, but we should still be able to beat them. Earlier this year we beat them in Italy by a 21 point difference. I think it will be tougher in the semifinals, where we will meet the winner of Spain-Israel game.

Archived