Phantis Forums

LG Cup in Saudi Arabia

Ziaka

Today, Rehaggel called up Basinas and Karagounis and cut Katsouranis for the LG Cup squad. Subsequently Basinas was cut form the squad once his deal with AEK did not happen. Karagounis will join the squad on Sunday and will miss the game with Korea.

What's up with katsouranis?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the players that will take part inthe games in Saudi Arabia:

Alexopoulos, Dellas, Lyberopoulos (AEK), Goumas, Vyntra, Gekas, Papadopoulos, Darlas, Mantzios, Tziolis (Panathinaikos), Nikopolidis, Kafes, Anatolakis, Kapsis (Olympiakos), Zagorakis, Salpiggidis (PAOK), Kotsolis (Larisa), Lagos (Iraklis), Antzas (Xanthi), Giorgos Karagounis (Benfica Lisbon)

Its good to see that for once he has left out vryzas.

Otto my friend it is simple. Greece cannot use zagorakis, karagounis, dellas, vryzas, tsartas anymore because they are old and cannot last a whole game. Greece needs new blood like salpigidis and mantzios and papas. I mean Papas only has to kick the ball past the defenders then all he has to do is sprint past them and the defenders cannot catch him. Katsouranis should be played in central midfield also...!!!

First half Greece was better than Korea, Zagorakis scored an excellent goal. However, our mid field is a bit weak, we do not have a someone in there right now who can control the ball and feed it to the flanks. Salpiggidis, Papadopoulos, and Mantzios are faring well up front as the attacking triumvarate.

Zagorakis shouldn't retire, without him Greece has no hope, since no one can fill in his boots and be as effective as him. The guy is the very heart of the team and to lose that would be devastating. Kapsis isn't that old either, I mean at 32, cmon he still has a few years left in him atleast. But I've Kapsis play a bit in this game he seems off, a little slow in reaction making some stupid choices. A little premature to say he should retire, but definately has to improve the way he is playing. Nikopolidis is looking very solid, but our forwards are not getting on to any balls, the game has been in our end the whole time.

And the reason why guys like Amanatidis weren't called were because of club duties. I think he called up a pretty good squad nonethelss. Alot of CB have been called and I think's it's because Otto is going make the team more defensive in in the back line or he's looking for an adequate replacemnet for Dellas if he were to get injured again, because he still doesn't look 100%, he's not as mobile as he was before. Anatolakis is in and he is very good at orgainizing the defence, much like Dellas. Same with Antzas, both of those guys can organize defences and they do it effectively.

Salpiggidis just missed an excellent chance, but did well considering it was a tough angle. Tziolis played an excellent first time through ball to him. Good effort by the youngsters, Salpiggidis is doing well tonight.

PS- im watching on a korean channel on dish net, for those who want to tune in Channel IISC

Guest Protathlitis7

If Zagorakis doesnt retire he will be 35 or 36 at the next Euro

thats why we need to give the centre of midfield to lagos, katsouranis, tziolis etc

i listened to the game on the radio, the 2nd half was much worse, Nikopolidis made some fine saves or else we would have been blown out but i still would have liked to see Kotsolis.

Anatolakis is an old fart, it mystifies me why he still get's selected, Mantzios and Pap played well together but in the 2nd half on came Lybe and Gekas and they didn't really do anything, Salp had a chance but that was all. it sounded like the midfield was giving away possesion too easily and too much long ball :tdown: same old...same old

Fellas we just all need to be patient with this tema I really believe that Otto has the right think in mind w/ bringing in some new blood, but the thing that everyone needs to understand it doen't happen overnight. Our tema needs games like these and this is an OK result.

Saudi Arabia and Finland tied 1-1 as well..... Nothings lost and who knows we might get another piece of silverwear..

When you are missing Stelios - Kara - Basinas - Kats - and play a 4-3-3 the midfield will be weak -

I hear all this crying to play the youngsters - well here it was - just don't expect these kids to get the results yet - nice and easy

Good to hear that Nikopolidis played well - he is still key

Half a Greek team tied a full Korean squad (frommy understanding) not bad at all :gr:

I hear all this crying to play the youngsters - well here it was - just don't expect these kids to get the results yet - nice and easy

This is only the first game otto has used youngsters and we got a fair result. If youngsters are used more often they will become a solid team. I am saying this from now: He will definitely not be able to use vryzas in the qualifiers. there are a few more players like him that are now too old and cannot last a whole game. that is why the more games we play with our new yound talen the more prepared we will be for the qualifiers in september.

Archived