Phantis Forums

LG Cup in Saudi Arabia

Ziaka

yes I agree with you dont make the same s%$#! like we did..... or Terim did  I was at the university in this moment  you know I am innocent......

F. Terim has learned from his mistakes .....  (what else could he do  :D )

However. Let's say for ther sake of argument that the defence in the ukraine match ahd been:-

Unsal Toroman Asik Davala, would you have got a draw from that as I wouldn't see Asik making the mistakes Servet did and Unsal and Davala are experienced. What do you think?

yes you are damned right ---

If we had you used in this case our experienced players Davala & co against Ukraine I think the result would be not so bad.

We have used our players wrong.... this was also at the first game against Switzerland... you can see this also on the result. In the first game example Tuncay Sanli played NOT from the beginning ... this was a big mistake .... and this was one of many others..

Greece should really look to build up a fresh team. Not in all positions !! In the dfence you need of course experienced players ... Greece should look for fresh middlefielders and strikers than this team can be on of the best in Europe.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because you are building a team for the future and this means getting rid of most of the old heroes who won 2004, and starting again like Turkey did for 2006 qualifiers, until Terim brought old guard back. And I agree, Samaras does not seem prolific, which is why I would go for 2 out of these 4:-

Papadopolous/Gekas/Amantadis/Charisteas.

I'd use Salpingidi! He has pace and for a defensive side like Greece that could be a vital commodity. When we lost 1-0 to Denmark he looked dangerous when he came on. Bearing in mind that Zagorakis is about to retire I'd go for:

Nikopolidis

Seitaridis Kapsis Dellas Fyssas

Stelios Katsouranis Basinas Lagos

Salpingidis Charisteas

-Karagounis has underachieved and would remain on the bench until he proves his worth.

-Samaras is not as good as everyone thinks and he needs to develop yet.

-Darlas would also be a player I'd prepare to take over from Fyssas eventually.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

I like the young players but I just don't they're ready to lead us into another european championship. Tavlaridis is a great player, but I don't think he should start over Kapsis. Kapsis did an amazing job covering Shevchenko during the qualifiers. He really was the guy orgazing our defence and then Basinas made some stupid mistakes costed us the game. s%$#! happens, we were unlucky against Ukraine and Albania and had we won those games we would be in the world cup. I say call up talvaridis but don't introduce him into the starting lineup, a sub at best for now. Let's not get rid of the foundation of our defence, they are argualbly the best in the world.

aek21- i'm not picking on you, but, watch the 'basinas mistake' again...and then tell me who really made the mistake on the ukraine goal.

look at it again, then send an e-mail apology to basina, and send a nasty e-mail to seitardi, blaming him for the ukraine loss.

giourkas was caught in no mans land

but it's not really his fault cos after kapsis got injured, all otto had to do was sub him for kyrgiakos, who a CB but instead he makes giourkas play CB and brings vintra on the right :nono:

i like your line-up, except for salpiggidis.

i also saw the denmark match, and i laughed at your tidbit about greece looking dangerous when salpiggidis came on.

greece had a half chance 40 seconds into the match with stelios, and that was it.

salpiggidis has speed, yes. but, does he know how to use it? can he run off the ball? can he even control the ball with his first touch...and i mean with salpiggidis standing still, not in stride. most importantly, his finishing is terrible.

sorry, salpiggidis needs to improve for me to consider calling him up.

and you watch samaras. you prefer a likely 400,000-500,000 quid rated salpiggidi over the 6 million quid samara?

Think back, Salp had a great half-volley which just dipped over the bar in the Denmark game. He was also winning challenges high up the field allowing us to win possession early. His finishing might not be fantastic but he is a livewire and if you look at his record with PAOK in EU competetion then it shows that he delivers at the top level. I felt that Otto made a huge mistake taking Basinas off in the Denmark game! He was playing well, and from that moment until Salp came on we didn't have possession.

As for Samara. Man City have paid

aek21- i'm not picking on you, but, watch the 'basinas mistake' again...and then tell me who really made the mistake on the ukraine goal.

look at it again, then send an e-mail apology to basina, and send a nasty e-mail to seitardi, blaming him for the ukraine loss.

but it's not really his fault cos after kapsis got injured, all otto had to do was sub him for kyrgiakos, who a CB but instead he makes giourkas play CB and brings vintra on the right :nono:

I think he did that because Kyriakos lacks pace, and with Sheva on the counter we couldn't afford that!

yeah but Basinas was the sweeper, from what I remeber he was out of position and was largely responsible for that goal. Nonetheless we lost 2 games which probably should have gone in our favour or at least a draw but in ended up in our opposition's favour. (eg. Albania...Katsouranis stupid pass, Seitarids/Basinas against ukraine.) A win in either game would have sent us through to the playoffs. So I just think people were over critical of the team considering that was the difference between us and maybe what could have been.

I think he did that because Kyriakos lacks pace, and with Sheva on the counter we couldn't afford that!

sheva did s hit all in that game and i don't remember any other time in his career when giourkas was actually a CB his natural place is RB or RWB, sometimes otto makes me wonder

sheva did s hit all in that game and i don't remember any other time in his career when giourkas was actually a CB his natural place is RB or RWB, sometimes otto makes me wonder
Maybe Sheva did s hit because of the defensive lineup though! Giourka acted as a man-marker drifting into a central position against the Czechs and France don't forget.

Otto makes me wonder too sometimes but not in his defensive tactics. He also made half the country wonder when he left Tsiartas out of the team at Euro 2004 and that worked! I have faith in Rehaggel even though I would have gone with Kyriakos, like you, in that game. BUT at the time of Euro 2004 I would have gone for Georgatos at left back and Tsiartas would have played instead of Katsouranis... point is sometimes we should just leave it to their experts! Otto knows what he's doing.

I think that youre team is far too old. Turkey made a much younger team and nearly got to WC 2006 with it. If you play older players, then they will be caught for pace, they won't have the drive, oand they will lose their skills and become less effective. That will put Greece back as if you hold on to old players for too long then thee younger ones will not have a proper chance to flourish and develop into great players. Papadopolous/Amantadis/Gekas/Aamaras will all be fine strikers in the future. Nikopoloidis, Fyssas, Kapsis,Zagorakis, Basinas,Stelios and Vryzas are too old. Change to youth now, players like Tavralidis, Kotsolis, the aforementioned strikers, Vyntra, the LB, and Tzolis and another aforementioned midfielder or you will miss Euro 2008.

This is Greece's greatest generation ever, to let them go might mean not having even the ability to a make a tournament finals appearance again for many years from now. To say the least Samaras and co aren't the guys we should be looking for to send us to euro 08. I really don't see Greece winning another major championship for a very long time from now, doesn't matter who we put on the field I just don't see Greece pulling it off again. Realistically I can see Greece going to the european championship(making the final 16), but mainly with the starting 11 that won it in 04. Just look at the under-21 level, if they couldn't even do anything at that level do you really expect them to do it against the likes of Spain's senior team (the older guys had a hard enough time). Don't get me wrong theyre all good players, but I just don't see it happening.

I never saidGreece would win. I said merely to qualify, you will need the likes of Papadopolous, etc. Look at Turkey, after 3rd in 2002, they kept their best generation and lost the playoffs to Latvia!!! I mean, Tzolis and other guys I mentioned do sound good, and will develop over the next few years. Theodoris is 21, and has a high rating on FIFA 2006, while Stelios is too old.

This is Greece's greatest generation ever, to let them go might mean not having even the ability to a make a tournament finals appearance again for many years from now. To say the least Samaras and co aren't the guys we should be looking for to send us to euro 08. I really don't see Greece winning another major championship for a very long time from now, doesn't matter who we put on the field I just don't see Greece pulling it off again. Realistically I can see Greece going to the european championship(making the final 16), but mainly with the starting 11 that won it in 04. Just look at the under-21 level, if they couldn't even do anything at that level do you really expect them to do it against the likes of Spain's senior team (the older guys had a hard enough time). Don't get me wrong theyre all good players, but I just don't see it happening.

you see this very negative....

Greece has one of the best coaches in the world... I believe he will make a team from experienced and of course new players.

I would trust to Rehagel you will see.

as far as samara, the hype exists for good reason. he is skilled and fast + lack of any first rate greek striker = samaras should be capped now for the national team.

he reminds me of a taller and quicker ruud van nistelrooy,

TALLER AND QUICKER VAN NISTELROOY??? :o

I've heard it all now! I thought the English were bad at overhyping their players! Samaras is quick but does not know how to spin of the shoulder of centre-backs to use his pace (isn't that a criticism you had for Salp?). His movement is poor (something RVN is a master of). Samaras' biggest weakness though is his lack of strength! He's so light-weight on the ball. He cant hold the ball up because he's just moved off it! Did you see the Everton game? He looked like a 14 year old! His finishing is nowhere near as deadly as RVN, neither is his goalscoring record! Samaras is not good enough to play for Greece yet and I am sad to say he will never be world class.

I hope I'm wrong mate, but Samara has taken a big leap too quickly, he will just be another Choutos if you ask me!

i'm not going to gloat just because samaras scored today, and showed a great 1st touch along with off the ball running in taking down a long ball to beat an offside trap....i will say the same things i've been saying about samaras from the beginning.

you are trying to get me to compare today's samaras against today's ruud van nistelrooy. i never made any such comparison. i said that samaras reminds me of ruud van nistelrooy..he seems like a similar player, but samaras seems pacier and a better dribbler.  samaras is only 20. it's exciting to think of how good samaras will become when he does refine his finishing and adds a bit more strength to his big frame.

over the years, rvn and believe it or not, salpiggidis, have missed sitters. today, it was obvious that samara was caught in 2 minds over what to do with the ball. it was a bad miss, but it was samaras' 1st touch and off the ball running that put samaras in a position to bag a 2nd goal.

all this after only some 120 minutes of football at city. this is why samaras is rated at close to 9 million euro, and today, salpiggidis was held scoreless and couldn't unleash one of his european famous half-volleys against a stingy aigaleo defense. this is why salpiggidi is probably rated at around 400,000 euro.

be careful, it looks like you will become the person everyone says in the future: 'ethnikistis, that guy preferred salpiggidis over samaras, eventhough salpiggidis has a world famous half-volley'.

Firstly, Samaras' movement is one of his major weaknesses, so maybe you should analyse his game before saying his off the ball runnning is quality.

2: I never said you were comparing Samara to RVN. However, their playing style is completely different. RVN is an out and out striker who plays with his back to goal unless its a break in which case he drifts off and on side until he beats the trap to go through 1 on 1. Samaras plays deeper, picks up the ball early and runs at players, unless his side are on the break where he gets central to wait for a cross. Completely different style of player! The fact that he reminds you of RVN suggests to me that either you don't have a clue or you haven't seen him that often. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you haven't seen him that much.

3: His first touch was standard but his second was s hit! He should have moved the ball onto his right to attain a more central position, instead he moved it out to his left making the angle tighter as he was bearing down on goal. Again, something you couldn't know unless you played football at a decent level. That's not you're fault though so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt again.

4: I never once said Salp was better than Samara. I merely said that at the moment he is more 'ripe', more ready. Samara is too inconsistent and too lightweight. There are 16 year olds who are better technically than Charistea for example, does that mean you'll play them instead?

5: Don't make out as if I don't want Samara to do well, I'd love nothing more! I couldn't watch the game live yestrday but I sat watching teletext. WATCHING TELETEXT LIKE A CRZY PERSON! When I saw his name I went ape s hit! I'd love to see him become a star! I just think you are overrating him at the moment!

:gr: :box: :gr: :box: :gr:

aekrossoponti-

i finally saw masmanidis in a few highlites from ab's last 2 matches. my first reaction is that he is very small..ala domazos or eleftherakis.

otherwise, he seemed impressive. a nice 1 touch lob pass to set up a scoring chance...and playing impressively as a substitute in ab's last match.

keep us posted on masmanidi. he looks quality.

cool you got the chance to see him but until now for his standards he has shown little at bielefeld.

i believe he is two footed. he can play left, right and central midfield. he takes bielefeld corners from the right and does a good job at it.

hope to be reporting some real highlights soon...

to be honest there was a scout last weekend, klinsmann assistant coach. dont think hes watching masmanidis but there was hardly anyone else to watch...

Think back, Salp had a great half-volley which just dipped over the bar in the Denmark game.

As for Samara. I disagree with him being the best young talent, that lies with Darlas and Lagos if you ask me!)

for the record the great half-volley which just dipped over the bar in the Denmark game was courtesy of KAFES!!!

what has darlas done until now to even be considered national team material aside from the fact that we don t have anyone else except for old fyssas? he is good but not the greatest talent we have by far.

Think back, Salp had a great half-volley which just dipped over the bar in the Denmark game.

As for Samara. I disagree with him being the best young talent, that lies with Darlas and Lagos if you ask me!)

:gr:  :gr:  :gr:

for the record the great half-volley which just dipped over the bar in the Denmark game was courtesy of KAFES!!!

what has darlas done until now to even be considered national team material aside from the fact that we don t have anyone else except for old fyssas? he is good but not the greatest talent we have by far.

He was fantastic against Barcelona in Athens for a start

those are some strong words, even after i agreed fairly much with your n.t. 11, and your characterization of otto's centerback schemes and tactics....and this from a person who recommends froussos, salpiggidis and maxlas for the national team. my new name for you is max-frou-salp.

i've seen samaras play in holland with his back to goal and i've seen samaras turn those defenders inside out. yesterday, pearce went from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 when trevor sinclair got hurt. that changes the way the 3 forwards play. maybe you missed that class, signore professore di calcio. professore salpigginelli.

you're going to tell me exactly how samaras plays after a match in which stuart pearce changed tactics and schemes....the same match, that you claim you didn't even see? or, are you judging a player from his first match with city, away to everton? samaras' first start with a new club, a new country and perhaps the most challenging league in the world. you seem very harsh on a player that soon will be spoken about by millions of greeks, while only a few of us here will remember your blakeia comments.

you rag on me and samaras and now you look foolish. i'm certain that if samaras had a bad game you would have posted 10 messages cutting me and samaras down. you seem that village type, maxfrousalp. samaras is 20, he is good now, good enough for the greek n.t., and he will get even better. accept it. can't accept it? too bad...me and many other posters here will remind you about it, all the time.

maxfrousalp, i think anyone that disagrees with what you believe doesn't know football. now, i need to go out and practice my half-volleys, ala salpiggidis.

1: I never recommended Froussos or Machlas. What I actually said was would it be worth getting in an experienced natural finisher to act as a fox in the box because we can't score at the moment. It was a question I asked because someone else had suggested it to me and it was on my mind.

2: I've seen Samaras play on numerous occasions, in Holland, for the U-21's, in the UEFA Cup, and for City! His style is nothing like RVN's!!!

3: Regardless what you might think, I really want Samaras to do well. Just because I don't think he is ready yet doesn't mean I want him to fail! You're making out as if you're his dad and I'm a journalist who wants to ruin him! Relax m****pano!

4: If he's good enough already why hasn't Rehaggel called him up when he's seen him so many times? Maybe you're forgetting that 2 months ago Samaras was on the bench for Heerenveen (a team no better than PAOK). Also, Stuart Pearce came out and asked the City fans for patience because Samaras was still an uncut diamond but he's need time, whether it was "6 months, one year, whatever." If Samaras was good enough already Pearce would have no need to say this. Also on a recent phone in City fans have said it looks like they've signed a player that looks like 'Bambi on ice' because of his lack of strength. I agree with Pearce. He is an uncut diamond, and could become an excellent striker but the moment he isn't ready! Would you start him agianst what will be very physical games against Norway or Turkey?

5: While you're practicing your half volleys gets some weights in too bambi!

Archived