Phantis Forums

Chicago-Milan

2-1 so far....Chicago not so bad but Milan is walking around the pitch...thats not the right start for preseason they did the same with Chelsea...Chicago should be winning now they are playing well the commentators wont shutup about it but I hate to say it yeah the MLS improved but there not on the level of Milan. Milan is out there watching and kicking around..and for Chicago Fire this is the biggest game of there lives....when Gattuso isnt even complaining and fouling every 20 seconds you know that is the case....

btw shitty commentators its just MILAN not 'AC'

there is only one team in Italy called Milan there is no confusion with Inter.

final score 3-1....Serginho hit a nice last goal........and the scottish comentator is screaming how it was a criminal score line.....ha Milan had the ball cleared off a the line quite a few times and its not like the scots know much about the sport after the deflowering of celtic by artmedia bratislava.....who beat Kazakh side Almaty on away goals... :LOL: ahh USA is starting to get the game now we just need to get the commentators....

also if anyone noticed the Chicago actually had fans (fans, not spectators) i was very cuious because some of the banners looked like straight copies of Gate 13 ones i have seen... :o

I watched the game, and I think the Fire should have won the game. The Fire players missed chances that even Okkas does not miss. :D

Eleftheropoulos did not playe, but he was on the bench.

The game was attended by 22,000, and the Fire official are dissapointed in the low turnout. They claim that most soccer fans chose to attend the Real - Chivas game last week (around 60,000 in attendance) instead of this game.

Drakos, the Fire has fairly good following with good fans, but I still think that yesterday the fans in the stands were divided 50-50. Don't forget there is a big Italian community in Chicago.

I watched the game, and I think the Fire should have won the game. The Fire players missed chances that even Okkas does not miss. :D

Eleftheropoulos did not playe, but he was on the bench.

The game was attended by 22,000, and the Fire official are dissapointed in the low turnout. They claim that most soccer fans chose to attend the Real - Chivas game last week (around 60,000 in attendance) instead of this game.

Drakos, the Fire has fairly good following with good fans, but I still think that yesterday the fans in the stands were divided 50-50. Don't forget there is a big Italian community in Chicago.

true but the fans i were talking about supported fire....

also im confused about Italian communities in the USA..........every single italian american i have met is not italian at all and doesnt know the culture or speak the language? are there italians in america who actually keep some culture i am suprised...how would they know/be Milan suporters...(though i did see some in the stands)

as for the game yeah fire missed a lot of chances but so did Milan missed some easy ones too....and they werent moving around or running..

I went to the Milan vs Chelsea game in Boston which drew close to 27,000 fans and in the section that I was sitting in there were many Italians and many who spoke Italian. Many were wearing Milan jerseys, others had lazio, Roma, Napoli even saw some Fiorentina shirts. However to make the statement that because someone does not speak the language or know the culture that does not make him or her a real Italian to me is absurd. Don't forget there are more than 90 million Americans who can trace their ancestry back to Italy not all are going to still speak the language etc. Here in Boston on Sundays on most cable stations they broadcast on the community channels Rai , they show everything from Serie A games to the football show 90 minuto. So for major cable stations to be doing that there must be a very sizable community of Italians who speak their ancestral language.

Us Greeks can't even get the cable companies to carry the Greek channels goes to show you can speak the damn language but the so called "patriots" don't have time to pick up the phone to request the Greek channels. My point is don't get sucked into that feudal mentality that if someone doesn't speak the language they are not a real Italian or for our sake a real Greek. I know alot of Greeks who speak Greek and don't give a damn s%$#! about their heritage and I know Greeks who don't speak a word of Greek and yet they won't hesitate to write a letter to a congressman in regards to important matters pertaining to Greece, write a check to a local Greek church or Greek Lobbying organiztion so on and so on.

As Mr Samaras once said when he was the Foreign Minister of Greece in the 90's. "The modern Greek needs to be more like Plato and Socrates and less like Zorba."

However to make the statement that because someone does not speak the language or know the culture that does not make him or her a real Italian to me is absurd. Don't forget there are more than 90 million Americans who can trace their ancestry back to Italy not all are going to still speak the language etc.

im not getting sucked into anything. Im basing this on my time in Italy and the United States and on people ive met.

dont compare the Greek American communtity to the italian american one. They are totally different. Greek communities stick together and actually keep in touch with the homeland even if they dont speak a word of greek. In my experience I have never met an Italian that did that. Or that had a clue about there heritage, current italian issues or sports language and cant even say the names of the italian foods or THEIR OWN LAST NAMES correctly - ANYTHING.

Personally i think the RAI station in boston is more for the many Italian Students that study in Boston, and probably some new generation immigrats....same with NewYork maybe Chicago but the rest of America (aka REAL america) i have never seen or met any italian person that knew/gave a crap about his heritage and its pretty embarassing. And everytime i do hear there last name i usually ask or mention it and they are clueless..actually there is one girl i know who does take some acclaim to her heritage and calls herself italian but has no desier to ever go to italy or learn her language/do anything to connect with Italy.

Some of them even flat out say it: Im not Italian, I just have the last name.

An American is a new identity that people can choose to take on and adapt. When i see italians who cant say there last names right and dont give a damn about italy how are they italian? Yes by ancestry they are but thats it and they dont give a crap about italy. There is a point where its all lost and most have reached that point. The name doesnt really die but when u meet some people you see there is no Italy inside them its gone.

that is true because obviously the large numbers of Americans who claim Italian ancestry and unfortunately as the generations go by they lose touch so you are more inclined to bump into one that doesn't speak it etc as to one who does, and when their families move away from their ethnic neighborhoods from Boston, New York or Chicago they get lost in the Anglo culture.

I grew up with a lot of Italians who do speak the language, travel back to Italy and have retained their customs and traditions, while yes they are not like the Greek community but we Greeks also have a neighbor thats trying to wipe us off the map so of course we are going to be more protective of our culture, language etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Right you are drako. I see examples of this all the time. Every Italian I know, knows nothing about Italy, doesn't follow Italian football, and I'm Greek and Cypriot, yet I'm at the top of of my honors italian class by a good margin, and certainly the only one who speaks it without americanizing it.

Right you are drako. I see examples of this all the time. Every Italian I know, knows nothing about Italy, doesn't follow Italian football, and I'm Greek and Cypriot, yet I'm at the top of of my honors italian class by a good margin, and certainly the only one who speaks it without americanizing it.

isnt it great taking language classes in the US? you are always #1! :LOL:

I don't know what part of the US you guys live in or have visited, obviously you base your opnion on your experience and I base my on my own. Like I said here in Boston there are many neighborhoods who have large speaking Italian communities. However you are more apt to meet an Italian who does not speak Italian because they are millions upon millions of Americans who are of Italian descent so proportionally you are going to bump into one who does not speak or care about their heritage than one who does.

drakos13: How do you know about language classes here? Even if you're just guessing you're right. Although I was only second in my Greek school class.

HellenicFront: I'm in New Jersey, believe me we've got more Italians here in the Philadelphia area than where you're at.

But for the record I'm fluent in Greek and I'm close to mastering Cypriot. Thus making me a real Greek.

drakos13: How do you know about language classes here? Even if you're just guessing you're right. Although I was only second in my Greek school class.

HellenicFront: I'm in New Jersey, believe me we've got more Italians here in the Philadelphia area than where you're at.

But for the record I'm fluent in Greek and I'm close to mastering Cypriot. Thus making me a real Greek.

how do i know? :o well im greek american too!

my english is better than greek, even though i spent most of my years in greece but in an english school.....i stay in america every summer and went 4 years of boarding school there for high school.....now im studying in an american univerity in the italian part of switzerland (its italy out of borders basically) and its 1hr away from Milan which explains my Milan loyalty...

i took spanish and yeah i didnt get the best grades but i was always the only one who could speak properly and understand grammatical things...

as for Cypriot dialect- what the hell is the deal? i heard it for the first time a couple years ago at a game and recognized some words but it sounded really different.....pes mas merika logia or something im curious to know what its all about...

@ hellenicfront : the italians i have met in america are from the maryland/DC/new hampshire area......none of them have kown more than "capisci" which they still cannot even say correctly.....

but u are in boston that makes some sense i know there are some first generation immigrants there i have a sicilian friend who lived there so i figure there were more...boston tends to have more first generation i would say because of universities, big city etc like new york and maybe chicago/LA.....

Drako, I had no idea you were American, I truly did believe you were a greek living in Switzerland. Cypriot? Well, send me a PM with any questions, I could help you learn.

hey Drakos did you ever live in Boston? , I used to hang out with a greek kid from Athens who I last heard had moved to Switzerland.

no i never lived in boston....new hampshire for one year though! :D :tdown:

but i think really both are right....some do keep it, but most lose it.......with greeks in america i feel it the other way around.....most keep heritage and some do get lost...i have met some greeks with greek last name......but nothing else....they spelled there name diff with an '-ides' rather than '-idis' so maybe there from a much earlier generation?

cool New Hampshire is nice.

Me & the wife recently had gone to Switzerland & Italy for vacation, we went to Lugano, Ticino (living in the Italian part of Switzerland you obviously know where that is) and from there we took the Cisalpino Train into Italy and continued our trip from there. We had an absolute blast.

cool New Hampshire is nice.

Me & the wife recently had gone to Switzerland & Italy for vacation, we went to Lugano, Ticino (living in the Italian part of Switzerland you obviously know where that is) and from there we took the Cisalpino Train into Italy and continued our trip from there. We had an absolute blast.

in fact i live in lugano :D

nice place for vacation a day or 2 but i promise u its not that great year round...but incredible in the summer

as for new hampshire----i lived in a boarding school in a small mountain town more like a xorio.......

amazing enough there was one greek living there......made the best pizza in the entire world...

the rest of the state is ok if ulike outdoor stuff...but i recommend it more to go buy expensive items there and avoid sales tax

dont i wish :(

there are that i know of me and 2 other greek americans......

i was at one apt building once and saw a greek name on the buzzer doorbell thing....

and my friends claim that there was an old greek woman across the street....who came down to complain about the greek music too loud being played on easter.....she said she was a catholic :blink:

thats maybe 5-6......man i would kill to have a kafeneio with supersport or just some food! i have to eat turkish food as a substitute its not that bad just no as good...luganos immigrants are mostly turks.....

that explains why I use to see some kiosks on the parks along the lake that sold what I thought looked like gyros but they called them something else I think Doner Kebabs or something to that extent. And I couldn't figure out what nationality they were I figured maybe Afghani or something from the Near East. Too funny.

Archived