Phantis Forums

WCq: Kazakhstan - GREECE

Ziaka

aek66, I agree with every word you wrote in your post.

I watched the game at Chasers and I was very close leaving the place at half time after the pathetic display of our NT. After the Kazakhs scored I just wanted to stick around to see one of the biggest rezili of our NT.

At the end we won. We must be the luckiest team around. With display like today we don't deserve to still be in the running for the 2nd place. Unless our NT by some miracle finds the form it used to have during EURO, you might as well kiss the 2nd place goodbye. With a display like today and against Belgium not only we will lose to Denmark, we will not even beat Georgia. Don't even think about playing powerhouses such as Czech Republic, France, etc in the play-offs.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think first off we should get rid of vryzas. our weakness obviosly lies on the fact that we can not score and here we have vryzas whos job is to score, can not even hold on to the ball.he should not be starting or even be playing anymore. he was a good player 3-4 years ago.

Guest GreekSoussou

^ Yes but they scored and they won. It is called momentum and gaining confidence. They will need both in Denmark, since with a Turkey win now they will need to beat Denmark to qualify.

No problems boys reality is we are not the best team - we will not run people over - but we won - very well done - would you all rather return to the previousdecades of playing well and losing - crossbars , missing by an inch , allowing last second goals

We owe the frikin Danes a beating from 1998 WC qualifying - and they will get it - :box:

bravo Lybe bravo pathyia - :tup:

zito ti patritha :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

sikose to :nw:

Guest GreekSoussou

^ :nw:

A win is a win is a win. I will take it any day of the week. No matter if it is 9-0 or 2-1. And momentum is the name of the game, and Greece now has it with a win, instead of Denmark who must still be unhappy with drawing Turkey.

well if you want to read my thoughts......

Nikopolidis-didn't really have much work to do and can't blame him for the goal, but he did blunder one cross

Kats-had an indifferent game but did save us on kaz 1st attacking move of the game.

kapsis- he's getting old, you can tell, i thought man-marking was his forte

fyssas- did very good forward balls, only offensive threat from the back

giourkas- :tdown: long balls all the way to back to russia, i hope he's enjoying his paycheck.

zago- i would say avg. had a sort of half chance on a header but didn't really see him stand out today.

basinas- :tdown: the worst player on the field, otto is using unfit players, reaction times are not the same, i wouldn't put all the blame on him.

kara-was the holding midfielder but his dribbles went nowhere, at least his crosses and set pieces were decent

charisteas-first half chance should have shot w/ his left foot, second half even worse, couldn't turn and shoot past the keeper 1 on 1.

vryzas-nothing really worth mentioning, did some crosses but headers not as accurate

stelios-played in the right position, good goal but no good support from giourkas, left alone too often in the 1st half.

subs:

lybe-thought he really should have scored on 2 of his headers but good goal, might earn him a starting place

gekas-i'm not a big fan of but today was good, helped set up first goal

kafes-don't know what he was thinking on that yellow card challenge but didn't stand out.

FINAL thought: this team can't keep the ball on the ground, instead they rely on set pieces and they play the long ball to charisteas who can't hit the net even w/ no keepr there, they have no ground game

Everyone has adjusted to our style. I can't believe we struggled to beat Kazahkstan. Not a good showing at all and poor effort overral. I real that we lacked inspiration in the first half. If that's true, I don't know what to say. These guys are in a hole and their lucky to face a team like Kazahkstan, they should've been pumped for this game, as it was a pretty big game. We lack motivation and simply cannot score goals(forget 2 goals against Kazahkstan, it's Kazahkstan, we should've scored 4 goals, not 2) and even if we do qualify, it will be an extremely tough road for Greece if they continue playing like this. I just hope they don't embarass themselves as Euro champs. I love this team and I don't want to see that happen.

I think Dellas is the key. With him the defense can become more aggressive, and that opens up more scoring oppurtunities.

only if he gets some games under him - look at basinas to see what happens when you are rusty

this team is playing well if you think how out of form they all are

Setaridis from what I heard is stinking up Russia

Basinas looks like a bum (to his defence he is not playing in a comfortabel position)

Dellas - out

Kapsis hasn't played 3 games in 4 months

Kyrgiakos - hasn't played yet

Goumas - hurt

Karagounis - not getting regular action - yet - at least he has trained with Inter for a while - and is sure to play more in Portugal

Paps - banged up all the time

Charisteas plays seldomly at Ajax

Vryzas - the 9th forward on his team?

Kafes - doesn't see regular time with his club

forget about Tsartas - what the hell is he doing? Vasilli if you had used your head signed with a 2nd rate team somewhere of (heaven forbid) returned to Greece you would be helping us on our way to WC 2006 - the last time he was in real shape @ Ukraine he scored an unbelievable goal - do you remeber theis boys (and girls)

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/19337

the guy was a freakin magician

Fyssas - Stelios - Zagorakis - Nikopolidis - (and Fanis and Lybe now) are the only guys playing on their club teams

That is crazy - remarkable that they are doing this well

Log live Otto :gr:

I have yet to watch the game, but I'm glad we atleast won. Doesn't matter how they come we won. Hey we aren't the first to go to Kazakhstan and almost lose, ukraine, albania, georgia. I was very worried about them because I thought they'd be overlooked.

Turkey weren't impressive either.

Denmark look deadly, 6-1 speaks for it's self.

I think we can catch Denmark off guard. They're on a high and in months time they'll think they can take advantage of us while we are on a low.... but we'll be on a high since dellas is back and we have our euro defence all together again.

aek66, I agree with every word you wrote in your post.

I watched the game at Chasers and I was very close leaving the place at half time after the pathetic display of our NT. After the Kazakhs scored I just wanted to stick around to see one of the biggest rezili of our NT.

At the end we won. We must be the luckiest team around. With display like today we don't deserve to still be in the running for the 2nd place. Unless our NT by some miracle finds the form it used to have during EURO, you might as well kiss the 2nd place goodbye. With a display like today and against Belgium not only we will lose to Denmark, we will not even beat Georgia. Don't even think about playing powerhouses such as Czech Republic, France, etc in the play-offs.

Funny you said that my dad left from Scott's Corner in London at half

I think the luck hads gone both ways in this campaign - Nikoplidis fluffed one in Ukraine - missing opportunities or called back goals at Turkey and vs Ukr - on one side and the last minute Dane goal vs Turkey and the penalty call vs Denmark on the other

Guest GreekSoussou

Dellas will put this team over the top. And it is not just him, but he being there allows the others to play their positions more aggresively and comfortably knowing that Dellas is back there to support them. :gr:

OK, one thing I don’t like is the mentality of some people in here I mean what the hell is this

"A win is a win"

Stiff s%$#!, we were a Disgrace today!!!! We couldn’t even put Kazakhstan a team ranked in the 100s away :angry:

If you ask me were on borrowed time!! Were gone, we can’t beat Denmark and will struggle to beat Georgia as well.....

This team needs a shake up and what I mean by shake up, I mean the following players dropped:

Vryzaz = to old and s%$#!….

Charisteas = Lazy, not playing well at the moment, when he find his form then he will be welcomed

Basinas = No team no Country

Kafes = has been s%$#! for a long time, when is this stubborn fool going to realize that its time to axe him!!!

Otto talks about not putting players on based on favoritism well if u look at the whole line it is based on favoritism!!!!!

His favorites from Euro 2004!!! There is no way in hell Basinas,Vryzaz, Kafes & Charisteas should be playing on this team based on there performances and the fact that one hasn’t even got a club…..

My final prediction will be this

Greece 0 – 2 Denmark

Georgia 1- 1 Greece

P.S Im being nice with the scores as well, so for me this isn’t a time to celebrate…

We are alive and well

say wut u want

Greece didn't play the style we expected at all

till they gave up that goal

till everything was against them there backs against the wall with nobody to lean on there fans already knowing there will be no world cup

but they countinue to fight all the odds first by Stelios goal and then the finisher by Lybe

granted we gutted out against the worst team the in the world but we had been scorless for 6 games and now i believe were back

Denmark will be our toughest battle and our biggest game since winning Euro 2004

Denmark is on a role at the moment having finding there way back to the world cup competition and will look to avenge there earlier lost to Greece 2-1

we need to find our defense

the won that was vaunting and intimidating

Dellas i do agree is the key

but the problem is he needs to find a club and will have a month time to get into shape

i was also suprised today to see both Basinas and Vryzas starting

and i do like to point out Basinas has costed Greece 2 goals in the last 2 games

do u remember all you Nikopolidis haters (mainly Pao fans)

how u were condeming him for a couple of bad goals he gave up

well wut about Basinas why don't u hate on him and criticize him?

Basinas shouldn't be starting on the team b/c he has no club and he stinks at set pieces and i have no clue why thats happenned

anywayz bak to Greece and the road to Germany

its just amazing like somebody pointed out earlier

that Rehaggel has depended upon 5-6 players to carry the load

Lybe should start next game and we need to beat the Danes

we need to find our Denfensive form

Lybe scored a great goal, what a cool finish. With some many bodies in the box he just chips it in the net. Both teams must of been in the box, even nikopolidis. My god what a crazy finish.

I just saw the first half, we should have had atleast 4 goals. The kazakh players barely ever won the ball, one guy turned his back as the ball was landing... funny stuff. We definately lack a sting in the tail. Charisteas is useless, to me he was hugely disapointing. Vryzas was ok, not a threat on goal but he was winning possesion and keeping play alive, making runs. Giannakopoulos, Fyssas, Zagorakis, Lybe, Nikopolidis, Kapsis and Seitaridis were easily our best players today from what atleast what I've seen. When Ukraine played Kazakhstan they played much like us. Ukraine went on unbeaten until they played turkey today. So don't think this performance was a let down, even though there are areas that still need improvement. I feel like we're going to be back in business, when we play denmark with dellas back we will be ready.

My worry now is that even if we do get a playoff spot, we could end up playing either France, England, Spain, Czech and Croatia I mean teams that are truly worthy of being in the World Cup. So even if we come second things don't look so gloomy.

Archived