Phantis Forums

Youth Up Front!

evalagoal

Zagorakis back for Greece but Vryzas injured

Tue Jun 14, 2005 01:01 PM BST

Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

LEIPZIG, Germany, June 14 (Reuters) - Greece unexpectedly got captain Theodoros Zagorakis back for their opening Confederations Cup match against Brazil on Thursday but have lost striker Zissis Vryzas to injury.

Zagorakis was expected to miss Greece's first two matches of the tournament because he was required by his club Bologna to take part in their relegation playoff battle. But the Italian side released Zagorakis and he arrived in Leipzig on Monday.

"His arrival has lifted spirits in the whole camp," a Greek spokesman said. "He is a vital part of our team, not just for the way he plays on the pitch, but for his strong personality and character. He is our most influential player."

But the joy was tempered by the loss of Vryzas, who suffered a broken left hand in a relegation match for his Spanish side Celta Vigo on Sunday. He arrived in Germany with his hand in plaster and needs surgery to repair the fracture.

Greece are already missing defender Traianos Dellas, recovering from hernia surgery, and will also be without defender Mihalis Kapsis, who is suffering from leg injuries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK SO IS IT TIME FOR SOME YOUTH TO COME IN & PLAY OR WHAT??? THESE GUYS ARE GETTING OLDER NAD OLDER AND ARE MORE PRONE TO INJURIES.... C' MON OTTO!!

your damn right buddy, i wanna see some of our promising youngsters in papadopoulos, gkekas, amanatidis, vyntra, and so on

please otto, try something diff't after the game w/ brazil which he kind of owes to let the ppl who won the euro to play against brazil, its an experience of a lifetime i would think

I dunno if i agree with you. This is the best team greece has had, ever, and as long as they can still play aswell as they did in Euro, why cant we use the same players for WC 2006. I would rather us win Euro 2004 and WC 2006 than to have an average side in the future. This team needs to play games together, and what a better test than brazil. Lets wait after 06' before we begin using to many youths (if we qualify that is)

Great news about Zagorakis though, he is the soul of the team.

i disagreee man, i think it is time to ease some of the youth players in to the national team for Three reasons:

1) might actually turn out better then other players who already play for the national team e.g pap might b better then vryzaz??

2) creates more stable depth for injuries..

3) provides more of a future when players retire instead of jst throwing them in the deep end and expect miracles (from them which we all know how greek supporters are....)

So i agree with the first two statements!!! bring in papadopoulos, gkekas, amanatidis, vyntra.... hopefully after these guys play a few games under there belts then salp, (Paok) Lagos (Iraklis) & tzoilis(Pao) will also be the next crop of players to play a few games, some time down the track!!! (provided if they perform well for there teams) :box: :gr:

I think Otto is already thinking about the way to replace some players with cases like Gekas, Vyntra, Tavlaridis, and Sifakis. :gr:

But it is defenite that after the World cup qualifiers will end (3 games left). If the team won't make it you will see some major changes for the next Eurocup that we will be a part of without any qualifing games.

Archived