Phantis Forums

Greek League in US, Canada

Just received some bad news. I have learned that Setanta Sports has secured the rights for the Greek League games in North America. Their initial plan is to have the games available in in local pubs, and hopefully in January have the games available on either DirecTV, Dish or both on the Setanta channel.

:tdown: This is TERRIBLE news!!!!! :tdown:

Why in the hell would they want the rights to the league games, I can see the National team matches but the league games?? Who would pay $20 bucks or whatever they charge in pubs to see all the games throughout the entire season, I certainly won't and I hope others don't too.

Let's start a boycott against these p*****thes Setanta- if no one goes and watches any games then maybe they will sell the games to ERT or someone.

This sucks, here I was thinking that we would get some games on ERT tape delayed like last year from Supersport and now I read this. Not a good way to start a new month. (KALO MHNA by the way :) )

I wonder how many people will drop the Greek channels, seeing as though it looks like sports coverage will be Zero! I am referring to those who may have just subscribed for the soccer coverage.

This is ridiculous, I cannot believe that not ONE channel will dole out some cash to get the rights to some games, even tape delayed for GOD sakes. Since I am not living in Greece it doesn't really matter if I can't watch them live. I would have thought with the success of the Ethniki that maybe just maybe ERT (the friggin Public Broadcaster) would get the rights and show the games of our Ethniki on ERT SAT like RAI, RTP and TVE do for their citizens.

It seems that they could care less about the diasporsa, well then I could care less about them, they can take their channels and shove them!!

Time to go back to FSW and the Bundesliga

Although I don't have specific details on this, I also think this is bad news for us. As for them showing ther game in the pubs, they will only get people to go to the big games. Nobody will go and pay 20 dollars to see Ergotelis - Kalamaria play. As it is the Greek League PPV was tried few years back and it was a big failure.

I would wait to see on what the specifics are, but allready things don't look too good. It looks like Setanta is planning on introducing a channel to be available to satellite providers, and the Greek League would be part of that channel.

I got a word from someone at Setanta about this. Like I said I don't have specifics. They could have rights to Alpha games only, and ERT-Sat will still show tape delay of Netmed games. But that's all specualtion on my part. Only time will tell the actual damage to us who have the Greek channels on Dish.

I wonder if they have this bright idea that they will cash in on the Euro success or something. Like you said Ziaka the PPV for the Greek League failed miserably and I think it will fail this way too. Not sure if I would even go to a pub for a derby. If not too many people go to these would Setanta and the pubs lose money? I have a feeling it will eventually come back to one of the greek dish channels again. I am so sick of the Champions League television here too. It sucks to be here if you like to follow Greek soccer!

This is happening due to all this interest the Greeks showed with their National team. I guess every Greek (and his brother!) ordered those games from PPV and Setanta made a lot of money by sub-contracting the Euro 2004 tournament.

Things won't be the same with the National League though. I don't see anyone paying $20 (or even ordering in PPV) to see anthing else but am major game...

I have a feeling that Setanta will sub-contract the League games too. And the price will be around $10 per game through Dish or DirectTV... But that's my feeling. What do I know?

Unconfirmed information is that Setanta will create a soccer TV channel similar to Gol TV, which they will make available to satellite and cable companies (such as Dish, DirecTV). The Greek league would be part of that channel.

From what I understand, Setanta will try to have the channel avalable in one of the satellite's packages, or if that does not work, as a stand alone channel, which will cost around $ 10-12 a month.

That channel has been in the works for a long time but nothing has been happening with it. They also have a channel that they transmit to pubs only. Its a flat rate for them so they don't charge 20 a game if its on that one. The only problem is that it does not transmit until after PM Eastern time I believe. It takes too long to get a channel up and running. I have a feeling if the Setanta deal is true..they will probably sublicense the derbies to Teleantenna at 20 bucks a game and we won't see much this year. What also sucks about new channels is that as long as they take to go up in the states the laws in Canada are horrible...and it takes forever. So we are screwed up north on this one. The CRTC up here has already turned down licenses to RAI and GOLTv up here.

The only good possibility is that Setanta is partnered with a company called Servecast who does online broadcasts. So maybe those of us that have a broadband connection can subscribe to a service which is usually cheaper than PPV or pubs.

the best solution to this problem would be if somehow we in north america could get access to NOVA sat and have access to supersport, euro sport, antenna, net , mega , alpha etc etc and not worry about all the BS.

I am also curious to know how many people actually subscribe to say ERT & antenna. Because say 50,000 Greeks subscribe to those channels and say during euro 2004 for a single Greek game there was 500,000 orders for a specific game. then obviously to Sentanta its worth the price to pay for the national league games and for ERT & Antenna its not worth it for them to spend money when there is no return on their investment. And if that is the case , then more Greeks need to subscribe to these channels. The bottom line is money and numbers.

Where I live I can't catch Dish so I go to my parents house to watch the games, but when I called comcast (cable company) to see if they can add the Greek Channels they told me there has to be alot of requests. I told the Marketing rep they're more than 250,000 Greeks that live in the New England area, his response to me was it doesn't matter if none of them show an interest, no one is calling to request these channels. and ya know the bastard has got a point. My opinion is if more Greeks subscribe to these channels there bargaining power is much better and in the future it probably will help with contract talks etc.

It gets worse.

ALPHA which has the rights to 6 teams including OSFP...is refusing to allow other channels to even show stigmiotypa of the matches they have the rights to. That means Athlitiki Kyriakh will either have limited highlights...or not be on at all.

That means Athlitiki Kyriakh will either have limited highlights...or not be on at all.

It is possible that Athlitiki Kyriaki might not be on ERT anymore. The hosts of the last seasons's Karpetopoulos and Panoutsos have signed with MEGA to do a show about Champions League. I have not heard that ERT has hired replacements for Athlitiki Kyriaki.

Guest osfparas

ok well for any of you who are interested in the olympiacos home games i THINK they show them live from the official site.. i think you pay like 5 euros(8 if you are not a member of olympiakos) for every game or something.. or at least when it started that was the price.. First year i was in the UK i was watching the games off the net and it was fine.. Now i am back in greece and thankfully i dont have to deal with the stuff you deal with.. Just wanted to help out some people.. I know not everyone is a gavros..ok i went to the site and its still there.. if you have dsl at least you can watch osfps home games and thus some big matches.. Also shows home matches of champions league i think.. :tup:

Well last season everybody outside of Greece was able to view all of the Olympiakos home games on Antenna which limited the amount of traffic on the olympiakos website. However, now that Antenna probably wont show any of the games live now you can bet there will be a boost in traffic causing there to be more problems accesing the site and slower footage off the site. Osfparas, did you view the games via a cable modem or dial up?

Can someone please explain to me why Setanta crap holes don't put the games on PPV!?!!!!!! What is with all this pub crap, as quite a few people have mentioned they can't watch the games because there are no pubs in their area that carry the games.

If they put the games on PPV, they will stil make money and people can watch the games in the comfort of their own homes!! PPV has come a long way in the past few years and is now commonplace on Satellite and cable. I am sure people order movies every once in a while and look how popular wrestling is (they must have at least 10 PPV specials a year). So what is the deal with soccer then, put the games in a package like the Portugeuse liga is offered here in Canada on Expressvu.

As for this supposed channel they are launching, where the hell is it?? The European soccer season has already begun (expcept Greece which starts next week) they should already be on the air or getting ready to launch. I think this is a load of bull!

Personally I think they purchased the rights to the games thinking that someone (maybe one of the Greek channels) would negotiate for the rights to the games thus enabling them to make a nice little profit in the end. No one has stepped up, so now they are not sure what to do with them- new channel, show them in pubs, PPV, yada yada yada........

One final thing before ending my rant, why does no Greek channel at least purchase the tape delay rights for the games. They can't be as expensive as the rights to show the games live?! I wouldn't care if they showed them a few hours later as long as I get to watch something.

:tdown: :tdown:

Archived