Phantis Forums

Toumba

strike4A

was toumba not one of the venues scheduled as a training centre for the olympics? what's happening with the roof over gate 5/6 and are they going to get rid of the stupid roof supports that block the tv view?

more importantly, where is the cash coming from??

The Toumba Stadium is part of the 2004 Olympics. It will be used as a training facility for the teams that will be playing in the Thessaloniki group of the 2004 Olympics.

Originally Toumba was supposed to close at the beginning of this season for the construction, but team officials fearing that closing Toumba down would cause major financial blow to the team at this difficult time. They were able to persuade the 2004 Olympic committee to start the work at Toumba at the beginning of 2004, after PAOK completes the UEFA Cup games. The construction will not force the closure of the stadium, just some section of the stadium. The team will be able to play its games at the stadium while the construction takes place. I don't know if that means that the original plans have been revised. I have not heard anything about that. The construction is supposed to be financed by the 2004 Olympic Committe. How much of that money will actually end up on the construction and how much will go to the pockets of politically connected construction companies is another story.

You can check out more about Toumba Stadiuma nd the proposed improvements here:

From Stadia.gr

You can also read an interesting historical article about how Toumba Stadium was built here:

From PAOK.DE site

Maybe while they're doing the renovations they can give the place a serious paint job. It is absolutely gross outside. Just terrible.

Well it was gross last time I went to Toumba, which was back in 1995. I am sure nothing has been done since.

• 3 weeks later...

Adds to the character?? ;)

Hmmm....I wonder how all that spraypaint denouncing all other teams, their mothers, and so on--in a whole host of languages and insults helps add to the character?

This I would love explained to me.

• 4 years later...

Archived