Phantis Forums

Gyro/Souvlaki vs Doner Kebab

sorry we dont have a random forum like before now so i put it here its not about football but whats not football is eating and sleeping no (football is life :P ) this ones about eating.

When I first saw doner kebab i thought it was like gyro, but it isnt. From a gastronomical standpoint - i think gyro are far better and tastier. Probably because the tzatziki (cacik) has more flavor and texture compared to most doner stands ive seen (in Switzerland, Germany, Istanbul) and also the pide ? isnt very good and tasty like pita. I think someone had to bring this up, sorry guys if you feel offended by some way. Its just very hard to compete with a real gyro.

what does everyone think?

- also sorry i am bored. ;)

OK from a gastronomical point of view I will tell you the big difference...

Gyros is probably tastier because it consists of LAYERS of meat and fat!!! As the gyros is turning, the fat melts and enters the layers of meat, which makes the meat quite special in taste...

Doner on the other hand, has NO Layers but it consists of a single large piece of meat...

To be honest I am a great fan of both!!! I like gyros, the traditional greek Souvlaki with all the necessary components inside it, but I also miss an Iskender kebab (which is the best Turkish kebab) which is made by Doner and Yogurt!!!

Whoever wants to try the best Iskender Kebabs in Athens can try the following restauraunts.

1. TIKKE It is a new reaustaurant in Kifissia, with the best reviews from magazines, but its quite difficult to book a table (they will book it for at least 3 weeks later)

2. PERAN The traditional Turkish reaustaurant in Filadelphia-N. Ionia (probably most hanoumisses AEKTZIDES have already been there) which makes an astonishing Iskender Kebab...

Try one of the two and let me know....

Pontika, next bet will be an Iskender Kebab .....(it is also quite cheap compared to your last reasuraunt we went, effecting your cash flow... :P )

Funny but here in the UK you can't taste any difference!

The two terms are used interchangeably even by Greeks!

Btw, nice subject, drako! :D

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO!

they are not the same!

When I mean gyro i mean GYRO. ;)

The thing they sell in the USA for example hardly resembles it, In Germany I only found 1 gyro stand - who was awful unfourtunatly, but I asked about the kebab and he was quite explicit on theyre not the same thing...I agree completly with him.

It seems the only place you can get a real one is Greece.

Ill keep an eye out for the Iksenders. Though I cant really like the doner - because everytime i see it have to copmare it to gyro. I dont know why but everytime I pass a stand i say my that looks good.... the i buy it, take a bite and am really grossed out. The tzatziki is just gross - i think its because its just plain yogurt and the bread is not comparable.

Sorry but I would eat gyros or Doner only if I was manyfacturing the mix of meat in both!

I did eat some at one point or another though (especially more donner in the UK) and although I would not eat any now I believe Donner was nicer...!

Yeah sure, now you want us to believe that you are a healthy food eater and that you also eat organic food....

You conveniently forgot that you ate more or less 15 cows during our time in the UK... :P :P

P.S. (Imagine, friends, what would have happened if Pontikakios actually LIKED to eat meat) :P He would have probably eaten the whole Farm and the herd of cattle of Keele University!!!! :P :P :P

stick to cheese then. ;)

i dont care whats in the meat as long as it tastes good, whatever fat, bones, brains,tails, oly fans... :D as long as its not people or insects.

but im also saying the gyro abroad are far different...

Oh! But I do accept we did eat the worst food and at the worst times possible (night! ) in England!

But Gyros, meatballs Doner and other mixtures of meat I did not, and I dont like them too much too.

You forgot to say that I also lived in Belgium and then the dioxin crisis broke up!

I also did my military service on an Airforce Radar

So If I glow in the dark dont worry ! I am not a UFO! :lol:

I'll tell you what I likes in England more... Chineese ! :rolleyes:

And you little dog... dont forget that if it wasnt for me to get you off our lazy ass and drive you into the countryside you would still think the English only eat at Mc Donalds... :box:

i dont care whats in the meat as long as it tastes good, whatever fat, bones, brains,tails, oly fans... :D as long as its not people or insects.

Oly fans? do you think that during our time abroad and all those souvlakia we ate in Greece may have contained Oly fans? I doubt if they would taste good bearing in mind that they are rotten!!! :P :P :P

As far as tails, nails, brains are concerned I am with you... No problem whatsoever!!! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this thread was written around noon time when people were dreaming about lunch! :lol:

I always thought that gyros and doner kebab were the same thing! Doesn't "doner" mean "going around" (e.g. doner dolap) which is the same meaning as the Greek "gyros"?

guyz, what's the intention of this topic? i really really failed to see it!

what if gyro is better or tastier than doner, or vice-versa?

sorry to say but silly subject to matter!

hey this is a topic that must be discussed we welcome your input as a turk...

whats not football is eating and sleeping no?! :P

Oh dou i feel hungary, you people just killed me here! :lol:

Iskender!!!!! It's definetely my favorite! Ofcourse you have to eat it at the city of Bursa in Turkey! Very delicious!!!! arrgghh i'll order one right now! :lol:

Archived