Phantis Forums

Freddy Adu

Adu's first game for DC United will be televised this saturday at 4p.m. on ABC. Adu if the youngest professional soccer player to go pro at the age of 14. When he turned 10, Milan offered him 750,000 Euros to join their training academy in Italy.

Yep agree with the both of you.. But you know everyone? I really believe that he's making the move to DC.. He should've gone to Europe.. He's not going to learn too much in the US. Another major point here is that the MLS league could be in jeapordy because of financial issues.. But that's another topic.

Harris

• 4 weeks later...

hahah i would love to see the gayroi buy him! :lol: :lol:

i would love to see him play in a derby, and make him cry when all of leoforos of leoforos makes fun of him. same with toumba. i just want to hit him with a missle of some sort :whistle: ........ dreamkiller. <_<

HES NOT THAT GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he has potential but isnt going to an academy so hes gonna lose a lot.

I hate freddy adu i wish him no sucess in his pathetic carrer in washington.

Same here.
I don't understand...why such venom against a 14-year old kid? Yeah, he's overhyped, but that's not his fault. And if you were offered a $1 000 000 Nike contract at his age, wouldn't you take it?

To me, he seems to be a well-adjusted, intelligent, respectful kid. Good luck to him.

ya id take it. i dont blame him for that. i blame him for NOT going to a youth academy to grow, and for choosing THE MLS OVER MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you could say im jealous.

you would be right.

but what makes him different is he threw it aways for MLS first team. never mind training in youth academies ill just waste my time in a horrendous league which hes not that good in . You dont rush into things like that.

i would love to see him play in a derby, and make him cry when all of leoforos of leoforos makes fun of him. same with toumba. i just want to hit him with a missle of some sort :whistle: ........ dreamkiller. <_<

Thats a great attitude you have. :angry: :angry:

Unfortunately people in management of Greek soccer teams

share that attitude and thats why we rarely get any class players

coming to play for Greek teams. Look at the prime example....

The cup final should be a giorth and in Greece no city or stadium wants anything

to do with it. The MLS is a sh*t league, and most MLS teams would probably be in B Ethniki in Greece.....But I would rather send my teenage son to MLS than Greek League any time. At least there he won't learn to smoke and spend all night at bouzoukia like so many young Greek talents that have been wasted over the years.

At least there he won't learn to smoke and spend all night at bouzoukia

HAHAHA Kala na glentane!

i dont think he could send his kid to the A ethniki because hes not good enough to play in it yet.

I am angry at that POS for taking a common boyhood dream of millions and ruining it itstead of living it and embracing it.

Also I seriously doubt first team play at this age is healthy physically and mentally. so what a jackass father anyways.

we dont get world class players because we dont have that much money and havent won any euro titles yet.

i dont blame any city for not wanting it- its between the two of most hated rivals in the world!

ya id take it. i dont blame him for that. i blame him for NOT going to a youth academy to grow, and for choosing THE MLS OVER MILAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you could say im jealous.

you would be right.

but what makes him different is he threw it aways for MLS first team. never mind training in youth academies ill just waste my time in a horrendous league which hes not that good in . You dont rush into things like that.

I never presumed you were jealous, but I did have a small feeling that you might think the MLS is not greatest league in the world... ;)

The way I see it regarding Adu's decision to play in the U.S. is this - the coaches may be inferior than what the top European academies have, but the level of competition he will face on the will be much greater than what any Academy could offer him. Call me crazy (and I know you will) but I think he could develop in the MLS.

Also him staying in The U.S. is better for him psychologically.

There are so many big talents at Milan that he might never see the light

of day there. If he was 19-20 then going to Europe would have been better.

:lol: MikeS youre crazy.

the thing is hes not getting the basics out of a youth academy. Hes 14 he has talent but hes not developed yet! the academy will offer competition on his own level - beleive it or not there are kids his age or only a year older just as good- they just werent in the USA so they didnt get Nike contracts and stupid overattention. If he would be truly too good for the youth team - he should have to prove it. i dont beleive he is. And if he did go and was- he could go to the u19 team. too good? he could spend time with the b team. too good? and its doubtful hell get that high because hes still has no experience. he needs the proper experience and the worlds best coaches to make him into something.

and if there are so many big talents he wont see the light - what does that mean?

HES NOT THAT GOOD. If anything he would learn from these talents and get used to the lifestyle of a professional footballer and learn important things from off the pitch . if hes gonna be a big star he needs to learn that too. (MLS does not have this because it sucks and NOBODY watches it)

Panatha1,

Where do you live?

I am not a big fan of the MLS either.

But living in North America I would like

to see the league do better. It makes no sense

for me to want the league to fail. Because if the league

fails then it shows the average american mala*a that

soccer is not a marketable sport. That not only effects the MLS,

but it affects television coverage of soccer in general..

Because of world cup 94 being a success in the States.....they started

showing Champions League games on ESPN and channels like Fox Sports World

were launched. Its in the best interests of the soccer fan in North America for the MLS to be somewhat successful.

I live in the States as well. New York to be exact. and i want the MLS to fail because the cocky Americans commercial this s%$#! league as being world class because they have a few jamaican and guatemalan nt players in their stupid pathetic league. They call their players like Landon donovan world class players. The whole thing just makes me sick as a whole.

So just to teach these marketing idiots a lesson....you would be willing to support the belief that Soccer is not a viable sport in the states?

I love that i can watch champions league and uefa games and english league and a bunch of other leagues on television.

Landon Donovan is an excellent player and i hope to see him make the MLS a better league and then go back to Euroipe and represent the U.S. well just as Cllaudio Reyna and goalies like Keller and Friedel.

Soccer exists in the U.S. cause people like european soccer. Not cause its MLS fans wanting to see more soccer. There are no MLS fans, its just mexicans who go to the games. And Landon Donovon is not an excellent player and he wouldn't make it in europe.

right on Panatha1.

Donovon is fast and is ok at dribbling but cannot finish. Hes great player for the MLS but there was a reason he came back- he wasnt good enough. The whole i want to help the MLS is a load of crap. He can maybe play on a mid lower level bundesliga team but not be anything special.

I hate the MLS because its a joke the supporters and atmospheres are laughable there is no passion no ambition or anything. The clubs have no history or anything making it uninteresting along with the awful style of play. Its a nice place for stars to retire to though like Stoichkov, Matteus etc. I wish Hagi went there that would have been hillarious seeing him single handedly win the league every year.

Soccer exists in the U.S. cause people like european soccer. Not cause its MLS fans wanting to see more soccer. There are no MLS fans, its just mexicans who go to the games. And Landon Donovon is not an excellent player and he wouldn't make it in europe.

I agree with Panatha1 :tup: , I find the MLS boring :wacko:. Sure, Landon Donovan is a good player, but if he went to Europe, he won't be even known, probably would be put on the bench. Heck the soccer media in Canada shows European soccer first instead of MLS. The only time I saw highlights of any MLS game was when Freddy Adu played his first game, and when Freddy Adu scored his first goal. And as for Freddy Adu, I wish him luck. Once everyone discovered he was a pretty good player (in the US that is) the media publicized it so much, that Nike jumped to him because he's getting a lot of attention!! The one million dollar contract he got is, as I might say, VERY GOOD FOR HIS AGE. I hope this doesn't interfere with his soccer play :unsure: .....

I agree 100% with mk21. The more soccer available to North Americans, the better it is for North American soccer fans.

As for the level of talent in the MLS, the fact remains that the main reason why the U.S. made it to the quarterfinals at the last World Cup was because of its MLS players. The MLS is a very young league that does have its problems, but is slowly moving in the right direction, its talent level is slowly improving year after year, and is current providing decent development for young American players. Being from Canada I'm a big fan of our national team, and I wish we had a Canadian equivalent to help in the development of our players. Unfortunately we really don't.

I agree 100% with mk21. The more soccer available to North Americans, the better it is for North American soccer fans.

As for the level of talent in the MLS, the fact remains that the main reason why the U.S. made it to the quarterfinals at the last World Cup was because of its MLS players. The MLS is a very young league that does have its problems, but is slowly moving in the right direction, its talent level is slowly improving year after year, and is current providing decent development for young American players. Being from Canada I'm a big fan of our national team, and I wish we had a Canadian equivalent to help in the development of our players. Unfortunately we really don't.

The main reason the U.S. made it to the quarterfinals last year had nothing to do with their players and where they got them from. The reason they made it to the quarterfinals is cause they get a free pass to the world cup every year and if you get to go every year you are bound to have a decent run once in a couple decades even if you suck as much as mls players. If Greece would have gotten a free pass to the world cup every time we would have reached a final at least by now.

You have a point but i would add in Panatha1,

The USA made it because of Portugal being the shittiest " strong" team there

they played the sloppiest performance i have every seen defensivly by a good team next to OSFP-PAO last year :(

tey played vs the USA - many teams would have beat them that day

also they failed to beat Korea (also not that good) and made the most idiotic red card i had ever seen (totally blatant) i think it was Pinto or someone that nearly broke one of the korean players legs, and then the other idiot Beto for making a stupid foul that he knew was going to get him his second yellow. Pure luck for the USA to go through because Poland beat the s%$#! out them. Then vs Mexico they did well at first- Mexico dominated the whole game though, and got too caught up in attacking and conceded late. Also the handball clearance in the ball would have meant an equalizer for mexico meaning a different game

Germany was the only impressive game- but Germany werent anything special

WC2002 was a total flop in terms of the strong teams willing to play. I mean look, South Korea and Turkey were in the semi final. Senegal were in the worlds top 8.

Turkey is a strong team- but not 3rd best in the world, and had the easiest path out of anyteam to get up ther.

Actually U.S. soccer owes more to the Latino population than to the european.

i don't think you understand what I am saying....I agree that MLS is a third rate leauge but if the league were to fold.....then maybe channels like Fox Sports World would not exist .....hence less european soccer on TV.

Landon Donovan played in the bundesliga and had some good performances.

But the fact is he was only 19 years old. Unless you are a dominant player which he isn't.......then you are not going to get playing time in the bundesliga at that age. Thats why I think he is suited for a more developmental league like MLS.

Archived