Phantis Forums

Dundee Utd. - Rangers 2-0!

Excellent performance from the 'Arabs' who fielded 11 Scots!! After a poor opening 20 minutes, they virtually dominated the match. The result puts United into the top 6. Hopefully they can produce this type of performance more often.

The gap between the Old Firm has grown to 16 points. It's now possible for Celtic to win the league at Ibrox. What a prospect!

What a season that was Evergreen. I was just a kid, but saw some great nights at Tannadice with the highlight beating Barcelona (with Linekar and Hughes) 1-0. Amazing fact is that we have been drawn against Barca twice in the Uefa and Fairs Cup, and won all ties, home and away. Very unlucky not to win against Gothenburg in the second leg at home. But even in defeat the United fans were tremendous, applauding the winning side on a lap of honour with the trophy. Fifa introduced the Fair Play Award after this game, awarding it to the club.

I think you're mistaken with Darren Ferguson. He's the son of Sir Alex, and plays in the lower divisions of English football after failing to make an impact at Wolves.

Our wingers in 86-87 were Kevin Gallacher and Paul Sturrock, and our main striker was Iain Ferguson. Our other notable Ferguson was a lunatic by the name of Duncan, who came into the side a good few years later.

Thanks for clearing that Johnny. It was Iain Furguson it was referring to. Damn age, does things to your memory!!! :P

It's pretty sad that Scottish clubs from kicking behinds during the 80's with Dundee United and Aberdeen have fallen so much from grace. The important fact too was that those Scottish teams were made up usually from 2nd rate Scottish players because the best played in England...Hansen, Dalgleish, Strachan, Nicol, Mc Inally etc...From what I remember, they didnt have any foreighners either! Not even English players but only Scottish.

Whatever happend to your football, bro?

Isn't it amazing how the 'new firm' have fallen from grace over the past decade or so. It seems only yesterday they were regularly reaching the latter stages of the European tournaments. It really is hard to take as a United fan, going from 17 consecutive years of European qualification, to fighting relegation every season. You have to stick by your team though, even in the blackest days.

Where did it all go wrong? That's another thread topic I feel, but there must be a major problem when you consider the serious financial problems being experienced by clubs up here. Motherwell, Dundee and Livingston are currently in administration, Dunfermline have cut players salaries by over 30%, and the other clubs all carrying serious debts. Celtic are the only club who appear not to be at a desperate stage, with a managable debt of 'only'

I was making more of a reference why Scotland no longer produces players of the talent of those I mentioned before. What ever happend to the youth structures and player developments? I can't say that there has been a great influx of foreigners either.

How very true Irlandos. If you look at the Northern Irish squad these days, it is full of players from the lower English divisions, and even some home based players. Changed days from relatively recent times with Norman Whiteside, Martin O'neill, Gerry Armstrong etc, who were all important players within the top league.

the land mass Scots view on the tip of the Campbelltown peninsula

A clear sunny day like that seems so far away.

Archived