Phantis Forums

Victor Sanchez del Amo

Tzatziki

Who is Victor Sanchez, the new favourite for the Nottingham Forest job?

14659652-large.jpg

V?ctor S?nchez del Amo was born on February 23, 1976 and learned his trade as a footballer at Real Madrid. He was particularly adept at crossing the ball from out wide, but although he was technically very good he had to make do with appearances from the substitutes' bench. He was a product of their youth academy and after playing for their C and B teams, went on to make 65 appearances and score seven goals for the first team. After helping Madrid to Champions League glory, Victor left Madrid for Racing Santander in 1998 and made a terrific impact scoring 12 goals in 35 games, which drew plenty of admirers. Deportivo La Coruna signed him and he became an idol for the club's fans, making more than 200 appearances and scoring 30 goals.

He helped the club to the La Liga title in the 1999-2000 season in what was one of seven honours he has to his name. Sanchez also won the Copa del Rey in 2001?02 and was a two-time winner of the Supercopa de Espa?a. He eventually left Spain to go to Greece where he joined Panathinaikos but his stay there was short-lived and made just 12 appearances. The 40-year-old returned to his homeland to join Elche, but only played 17 times before retiring at the age of 32. That prompted a move into coaching and V?ctor was named Getafe CF's assistant manager in 2010. He linked up with M?chel who, ironically, is another managerial target for Nottingham Forest and followed him to Olympiakos. He eventually returned to Deportivo last year when he succeeded V?ctor Fern?ndez. But S?nchez was sacked after the team finished 15th in his only full season, winning only twice in his last 22 games including an 8-0 loss to Barcelona.

Tzatziki what's your opinion on this guy taking the team? Could they have gone for better?

Personally, I think Victor needs time to sow us if he is the right man, but if the reports of him being responsible for much of Michel's success, then we will be very happy to have him. I am tired of changing coaches and half the team every year, we need someone who is competent and willing to stay long term and make a team for 4-5 seasons.

I was actually shocked they put him there but everyone deserves a chance, time will tell if he is the right man. This talk of him being the man behind Michel's success yes it may be true, but if he was so good and tactical why didn't they go for him right after Michel is the only thing that makes me wonder. Anyway all the best to him.

He started ok I think but the second half of the season was a nightmare, he did not do very well as far as I know. If anyone here watches the league in Spain maybe they can give some more reliable info. However the Oly side here is more dead than Amadou Diallo.