Phantis Forums

Greece - Czechland

Irlandos

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game was lost today by Santos. Taking out midfielders so you can end up with deep balls from the back of the field? What was it? Four strikers and not a single opportunity? (Maybe one - the goal by Salpi that was nullified as offside)

Very well said! It baffles me as to how a professional football manager thinks that throwing on a striker in place of a midfielder will automatically mean we will create more. We had nothing in midfield, we should have replaced a midfielder with another attacking midfield. Fetfatzidis makes things happen, why was he not introduced? Disgraceful management.

We learned a few things tonight, or perhaps I should say a few things that we suspected were confirmed.

1) Holebas is a terrible left back. Bring Tzavellas in now!

2 Karagounis, Katsouranis, Gekas and Chalkias should not be in this Greek team.

3) Fortunis makes way too many mistakes and is not ready for a first team place.

4) Without Fetfatzidis we have no creativity.

5) Fernando Santos is tactically inept.

For those that are wondering, we want Poland vs Russia to be a draw, then we will have to beat the Russians in the last game to qualify on head to head.

If Poland beat Russia we will still have to beat Russia and hope that the Poles beat the Czechs.

If Russia beat Poland we will have to beat Russia and hope that the Poles beat the Czechs but by a score line that would mean we have a better goal difference. Highly unlikely.

So we want a draw in this next game!

For those that are wondering, we want Poland vs Russia to be a draw, then we will have to beat the Russians in the last game to qualify on head to head.

If Poland beat Russia we will still have to beat Russia and hope that the Poles beat the Czechs.

If Russia beat Poland we will have to beat Russia and hope that the Poles beat the Czechs but by a score line that would mean we have a better goal difference. Highly unlikely.

I don't agree. We want a Russia that wont go for victory in the last game. And a Poland-Czech match that equalize eachother in a struggle for three points. It's goal difference first, no?

I don't agree. We want a Russia that wont go for victory in the last game. And a Poland-Czech match that equalize eachother in a struggle for three points. It's goal difference first, no?
no, it's head to head first. We need a draw

no, it's head to head first. We need a draw
Or a big win for russia and then hope that Poland win their last match. Who knows, Russia might even want to lose their last game to avoid Spain perhaps. Several possibilities :rolleyes:

Spain are in group C, they can't play a team from our group now. Our groups teams will play one of Holland, Germany, Portugal and Denmark.

We need a draw tonight, Russia are winning 0-1 so we desperately need an equaliser, and then for us to beat Russia. It's tough but at least it will be in our own hands.

3) Fortunis makes way too many mistakes and is not ready for a first team place.

I will have to respectfully disagree.

For me,he is one of the best (and most promising) players of the Greek team. Yes, he didn't have his best game today, but comparatively speaking, he was better that the rest. Taking him out of the game was a mistake and cut the team in half. The front strikers, the back defenders and nobody in between.

Can someone answer why put katsouranis as a center back when you have so many other players who can fill that spot. I have never seen that.

Let's not forget that Kyrgiakos, Amanatidis and Gekas all left the national team shortly after Santos took over amid rumours that Katsouranis had an unnatural influence over the manager. In other words, Katsouranis picks the team. Following Chiotis' omission from the squad he said that "cliques" existed in the national team.

If all that is true, and the evidence appears to be that something dodgy is going on, then of course Katsouranis will play himself somewhere. If I was manager Chalkias would be my 7th choice goalkeeper behind Chiotis, Sifakis, Konstantopoulos, Tzorvas, Karnezis, Eleftheropoulos and Kapinos! That's how bad the guy is, yet inexplicably Santos has him as the number 1.

YES 1-1 in the Poland game. Stay like this!!!

@ Lazarus there's no way that he would be the first problem I'd address if I was the manager. If he was starting I wouldn't be annoyed as such, I just think he makes mistakes at this level. Klonaridis is more promising as an attacking wide player in my opinion. Fortunis seems better centrally. Either way my priority would be to get rid of Karagounis, Chalkias, Katsouranis and Holebas

go greece..!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway...

problem 1... team has no identity...why? santos is a fool....stubborn "i have my style, otto has his"....he may want to play more attacking football yet he does not pick the proper players or put theplayers he has in the right spots....

problem 2... greece does not know how to play attacking football to the point where the best defense is a good offense.....they dont run - they dont chase, they dont have that soccer mentality....its not how they are bred to play.....they instinctivly play good defense and counter...like apoor mans italy....

problem 3....no tactics...no overlap...no attacking open space..when was the lat ###### time anyone saw a 1-2 between ANYBODY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

just no rythym as a unit...fouryounis looks bad because he has no one to make him look good....its not about one guy....unless you can dribble the whole team u need support !!!!!!!!!!

in the end, we are just an above avergae squad at best.....that is capable of still qualifying because thats the way we are.....and THAT creates expectations that are never normally fullfilled......

u cant expect a paraplegic to get up and walk......

OH YEAH..... GO GREECE........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about...For the last game we:

start Sifakis in goal.

Put Papaetc. and Kyriakos P. in centre defence.

Torosidis and Tzavelas as wing backs.

put Holebas in place of Karagounis on the left side of midfield with Ninis and Maniatis getting the other two spots.

Up front use Salpi and Fetfatzidis to properly feed Gekas

Also, Fotakis was not offside. ESPN showed a camera angle that showed his arm was ahead of him but the Czech player was half a yard ahead of him.

It's true. We have been abysmal but have had 2 goals disallowed, today's definitely should have counted, the other was very tight. And a ridiculous red card. All we want is a level playing field UEFA! :angry:

Many of us have frequently wondered which Greek team would turn up. It's easy to blame the tactics or personnel, but the fact of the matter is a pattern has emerged. Regardless of which players have played or who has managed us, unless there is intense pressure or a cause to fight for the "tempeliko" Greek team (as Irlandos named them in another post) tends to show up. For an amazingly cool article that discusses this issue see here: :P

http://www.phantis.com/blogs/midfield-maes...ekyll-hyde-team

Which Greek team will show up against Russia?

Many of us have frequently wondered which Greek team would turn up. It's easy to blame the tactics or personnel, but the fact of the matter is a pattern has emerged. Regardless of which players have played or who has managed us, unless there is intense pressure or a cause to fight for the "tempeliko" Greek team (as Irlandos named them in another post) tends to show up. For an amazingly cool article that discusses this issue see here:  :P 

Which Greek team will show up against Russia?

Oh so true Euro!!!!!!

Tactics my old, wrinkley Greek kolo! Or tempelxanades won't run, won't dribble, won't take things seriously, won't complete a pass....until their backs are against the wall.....and that Karagiozis....I'm sorry, I meant Karagounis, needs to retire, NOW! He is an embaracment to all of us that still care for the fanela and the blue and white.

I am still so pissed about the last two games that I still can't see straight. But I believe I've mentioned that once or twice before. The officiating was horrible, no doubt, but still it's no excuse for another NT sub-par performance, especially when it matters, and the Euro does matter. But once again, it comes down to professionalism, or lack thereof.

Damn that's some great writing, and dead on!

Thanks mate, really appreciate you taking the time to read it and glad you agree. What frustrates me is that we can see it, others can see it, the whole world and his wife sees it, so why can't Santos? They have a "cause" against the Russians now so hopefully they turn up and win. Fingers crossed! We're lucky to be alive in this competition, if they have any pride they will fight from the start now.

No Euro, thank you for posting such a great article. This is a perfect description of the Greek DNA and it saddens me for others to revalidate what I'd like to put behind me, far, far behind me and us, as a nation.

In the infamous words of my 84 year old mother who's been watching the Russia vs. Poland game with me and the wife: "these boys are fighting, not like ours that think oti pane volta". Additional commentary is completely unecessary!

Before I say anything else, I support Greece and I'm pissed off by these performances.

Now. As a fan of the sport, I say watching Greece playing is not enjoyable. I avoid watching teams that exhibit this kind of play: scrappy, unimaginative, and boring. Unless, of course it's Greece. But, it is painful to watch.

The match against Czeck was extremely important and they blew it. This was not a performance by a team that needed points. Not against a manageable team and not a superpower.

Not one chance on target! Actually you'be hard pressed to find any chance. (I won't debate the disallowed goal.) Only long balls from far away into a box with a tall goalie & defenders trying to find our shorter strikers! No combinations, no creativity, just "tsabouka" and that only in the second half. Wasted the first half, again.

In our first match, we could have won it for the missed Kara penalty shot, but also Poland could have scored 3 more, easily! Not a good game by GR. Slept throughout the first half. Like they did in their second game.

Now, we have to play for a win against the best team in the group. I hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen ANYTHING (not even for 5') to make me hopeful.

Santos has to be blaimed as he'd get the credit for his selections. Halkias was a very bad choice; too heavy, too many bad performances in the Greek league. Much better goalies: Chiotis and Karnezis.

Obviously each team has to play according to its own potential. If they don't have good midfielders, or skillful players who can keep the ball, control the tempo, and pass accurately, then the choices are very limited when it comes to actually put pressure on the other team and create good scoring opportunities. And, it makes for a un-attractive game to watch.

Look at the better teams, the combinations, the creativity, the chances on target they create, etc. This is a team sport, so even without superstars or magical individual players, a well-designed team can prevail. We've seen this many times before, like this past Euro season.

But, I believe Greece has better players than what Santos selected and opted to field. As for the strategy?... Well....

Archived